PDA

View Full Version : High Gloss Lacquered MDF

Craig D Peltier
10-05-2007, 7:03 PM
Hi Have any of you heard of this? Is it sprayed? Do you think thats what they mean whenever you hear High Gloss Lacquer. Today a client asked If I could make this long buffett 16 feet witha high gloss white contemporary/european feel to it. She has 2 pieces from EQ3.com that she likes the material but feels as though it may be a bit brittle/thin for a desk/buffett.
I looked at Melamine although glossy only 1/8 thick and not very durable. I also looked at formicas at Dunn Lumber nothing shiny white or smooth. I also looked at the 3/4 sheets covered in white formica stuff (dang name is escaping me, I have jigs out of it an everything) at the blue borg. That may been an option.

So is there anything out there maybe a more durable melamine?

Thanks

John Lucas
10-05-2007, 7:46 PM
Craig,
I had never heard of EQ3 Company but did spend last 15 minutes reading their website. It seems to be a step above Ikea and seemingly more expensive. A lot of chrome, glitz veneers, MDF, etc. If it were my choice, I dont think I would try to emulate them in anyway. I am not knocking their products so much as not wanting to make them. Some of that may be snobbery but I think it is just a matter of taste...it isnt mine.
Now to your question: high gloss lacquer is certainly a sprayed on finish. Historically, this would have been solvent based and a finish that is fine for a real paint spray booth to handle. If I were to try it, I would want to go to a waterborne high gloss finish and there are plenty good ones out their. Surface preparation is key. If your surface isnt 100 percent smooth, your gloss will show it. Same with primer coats...as Zinzzer says "If you want to paint like a pro, prime like a pro." While I could do a high gloss lacquer white finish, I wouldnt want to for the same reason that I dont like EQ3 stuff. That's me.

Chris Yarish
10-05-2007, 8:33 PM
I am familiar with EQ3...and would say that you can make anything they have there for a fraction of the price but of exponentially greater quality.

That being said, many pieces there echo my tastes, and I also inquired about the high gloss finish and some here had suggested powder coating. Obviously the color schemes are limitless with a medium such a powdercoating...I'm not sure what the charges would be for that kind of thing.

Craig D Peltier
10-05-2007, 8:59 PM
Craig,
I had never heard of EQ3 Company but did spend last 15 minutes reading their website. It seems to be a step above Ikea and seemingly more expensive. A lot of chrome, glitz veneers, MDF, etc. If it were my choice, I dont think I would try to emulate them in anyway. I am not knocking their products so much as not wanting to make them. Some of that may be snobbery but I think it is just a matter of taste...it isnt mine.
Now to your question: high gloss lacquer is certainly a sprayed on finish. Historically, this would have been solvent based and a finish that is fine for a real paint spray booth to handle. If I were to try it, I would want to go to a waterborne high gloss finish and there are plenty good ones out their. Surface preparation is key. If your surface isnt 100 percent smooth, your gloss will show it. Same with primer coats...as Zinzzer says "If you want to paint like a pro, prime like a pro." While I could do a high gloss lacquer white finish, I wouldnt want to for the same reason that I dont like EQ3 stuff. That's me.

Thanks, for the help. This woman is iranian an likes very modern sleek stuff.Shes an artist/clothing designer/microsoft employee. I guess she does it all. Its not my taste either but the money is still paper.

Craig D Peltier
10-05-2007, 9:00 PM
I am familiar with EQ3...and would say that you can make anything they have there for a fraction of the price but of exponentially greater quality.

That being said, many pieces there echo my tastes, and I also inquired about the high gloss finish and some here had suggested powder coating. Obviously the color schemes are limitless with a medium such a powdercoating...I'm not sure what the charges would be for that kind of thing.

Im going to ask a finisher down the road.

Thanks