PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Jointer Opportunity

Dwain Lambrigger
10-05-2007, 5:55 PM
All, I was reviewing Craigslist today and saw the following:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/tls/440288861.html

I don't have any affiliation to this unit, or the seller, but I wanted to mention. I have been starting to look for an 8" jointer, but I think this is overkill for me. I think this would make a great tool for someone with the knowledge and competence to take this on.

I am not sure I could get this thing usable in my garage, and refurbed for under the cost of a new Grizz 490. Just curious what you think it would take to run this big bad boy on standard household 220? Obviously I don't know what kind of condition it is in, but I am going to take a look. Please provide me your input.

Mike Spanbauer
10-05-2007, 6:17 PM
I saw that too (I use crazedlist for northfield, oliver and others anywhere).

You'd be looking at approximately 5-600 for the motor+new switch. The unit itself actually appears to be in EXCELLENT shape from the pics and for that price... I would RUN. I would be willing to be that it was already sold before you posted the link asking where you should consider it or not ;)

It is that good of a deal.

You'll probably be looking at 900-1000 in refurb costs as well as some moving costs (and you won't be mobile basing this bad boy). However, you'll have a machine that is valued @ 2500-4k.

Cheers,

mike

Brett Baldwin
10-06-2007, 2:02 AM
The post was deleted from CL but I'm pretty sure you're talking about the Oliver. You're right Mike, it was sold before Dwain posted and I did run over there. It is in very good shape though it definitely wasn't babied. BTW it turned out to be a 12" and not the 15" but that didn't bother me any. A 166 BD. I'll have pics with the official gloat Monday.:D

PS If you're still looking for an 8" Dwain, the Powermatic was still there early this afternoon and looked to be in good shape also. It is one of the older models with the more solid bases, not the newer sheet metal types.

Dwain Lambrigger
10-06-2007, 9:10 AM
Brett,

So you bought the thing? Wow, I haven't even had the guy call me back! Where are you located? I would love to see that thing, and get an idea of what you are doing to refurb.

Let me know, and again, congrats. It is good to know it is going to a good home.

Brett Baldwin
10-06-2007, 12:57 PM
I had the very good fortune to be working only a few miles from him. I went over on an early lunch break and grabbed it as soon as I saw it was a workable machine. For the time being, it will be staying at my work since I have the power there to run it and there are forklifts there which is going to make life MUCH easier. I'd be glad to let you see it once I've got it situated. I've got a fair amount of investigating to do to choose the best way to go with it. Obviously this is one of those projects that shouldn't be rushed.

Mike Spanbauer
10-06-2007, 1:09 PM
Sweetness, congrats Brett :)

yeah, 15" was odd since Oliver never madea machine like that but I figured it was either a badly measured 16" unit, or they included the rabbiting ledge.

Still, my 8" powermatic would certainly be replaced if I had my hands on that beauty :)

mike

Brett Baldwin
10-06-2007, 10:38 PM
He said he also has a "15" inch as well which he was thinking of when he wrote the ad (must be a 16") but that he left that one in the old shop. I didn't get a feel whether he was looking to get rid of it but you never know.

Joe Jensen
10-07-2007, 1:38 AM
The post was deleted from CL but I'm pretty sure you're talking about the Oliver. You're right Mike, it was sold before Dwain posted and I did run over there. It is in very good shape though it definitely wasn't babied. BTW it turned out to be a 12" and not the 15" but that didn't bother me any. A 166 BD. I'll have pics with the official gloat Monday.:D

PS If you're still looking for an 8" Dwain, the Powermatic was still there early this afternoon and looked to be in good shape also. It is one of the older models with the more solid bases, not the newer sheet metal types.
You ARE lucky. I've been searching for one in the Phoenix area for over a year. Unfortunately I was on a flight from India to the US yesterday so I completely missed it.