PDA

View Full Version : Line on a Grizzly Double Drum Sander

Mike Heidrick
10-05-2007, 2:30 PM
Anyone else own a G1066Z double drum sander from Grizzly. Any reviews either way on it. If you had a 22/44 Performax ST would you sell it or use it in addition to a G1066Z?

Steve Clardy
10-05-2007, 6:47 PM
I have the griz 24" double drum.

I'm not gonna bash it. ;)

It sits in the corner unused. Has for a couple of years now.

Bill Wyko
10-05-2007, 7:17 PM
I have the JET 2244 and it works very well. Never had a problem yet. I do segmented turning so it saves a lot of time when I need flat rings.

Roy Fleming
10-05-2007, 8:26 PM
I have a 16" grizzly double drum sander which I use quiet frequently. I don't think a double drum is an advantage if changing paper is not too difficult. trying to adjust the two drums is a pain to say the least and dust collection is a major problem.
I use the sander primarily for thickness sanding as they are not a finish sander. I use a lot of qs white oak and tearout in the planer can be a problem so the sander is a great help. The down side to thichness sanding is you can only remove a 64th of an inch at best so it takes a lot of time.
If I did not use figured wood or have glue ups(cutting boadrs from scrap) if probably would not invest in this type of sander.
I don't think the gizzly shortcommings are any different than another brand.

J.R. Rutter
10-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Forget those other sanders. Buy my Extrema instead ;-)

Seriously, I don't know how much room you have, but I sold my Performax 22/44 Pro to get the 37" Extrema. No comparison in performance. It took a major investment in a very nice double wide belt to get me to upgrade this time.

I guess I have to make a classified ad now!

Jeffrey Schronce
10-05-2007, 10:57 PM
I have G1066R (no VS). I sold my 16" Grizzly Dual Drum and moved up to 24". I have had no problem with alignment or set up. I will likely move to hook and loop paper when I finish off my current supply. I use my dual drum all the time. I work in almost 100% figured woods prone to tear out. I run 6" DC line to the unit with (2) 6" to 4" reducers. Airborne dust is no problem at all, however the wood does come out the other side with a pretty good layer of sanding debris on it.