PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get a mortise adapter for a drill press?

Bill Wyko
10-05-2007, 1:32 PM
I've seen these a few times in pictures. A piece that attaches to your drill press to make the square cut but the drill press drills through it like a dedicated mortiser. Am I nuts or do these actually exist.

Ed Peters
10-05-2007, 1:39 PM
but are you sure you want to. They are an absolute brute to setup and the results I've seen can be iffy. A dedicated hollow chisel mortiser does not require much space so if you have need of that technology, I would recommend a purchase of a dedicated tool. I'm pretty sure Delta offers one and sears did also.

Ed

Mike Golka
10-05-2007, 1:52 PM
If you are not planing on useing it that often then I would suguest one similar to this: http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?&NETID=1346561005071573306&NTITEM=B2054
But Ed is right, if you are going to be doing lots then a dedicated mortiser would be best. I have a similar one to the one in the link and it woks quite well. The setup does take a little time but not that dad. The real trick is to make sure the chisel is square to the fence. I test mine on scrap when I first set it up and make sure I won't need the drill for anything else until all the mortises are cut.

Bill Wyko
10-05-2007, 2:11 PM
Thanks guys. My issue is really space. I have almost none for additional tools. It's not a tool I'd use often but i use the drill feature more. So if it's a PITA I'll just make room for a dedicated one in the future. |Thanks again.

Brian Lindenlaub
10-05-2007, 3:00 PM
Lowe's is one source for the Delta mortising attachment. It will fit a variety of drill presses.

Brian

Roger Newby
10-05-2007, 3:09 PM
I've had a Delta dedicated set up for a number of years. It's under the bench when not in use and does a great job without any hassle.

Gary Keedwell
10-05-2007, 3:20 PM
Yea, me too. I have a Jet that I modified . They have come a long ways since I bought mine. Bigger tables, better hold-downs etc.
Gary

Lee Schierer
10-05-2007, 3:30 PM
I have an add on mortiser set for my drill press. It mounts up in about 5 minutes. It was a cheap china made unit, but once I hand honed the chisels, I got nice mortices. You'll need to build a fence attachment for your drill press table so you can keep the mortice lined up. The first cut is the hardest since it is being cut on all four sides. The next few cuts are much easier. You will need a hold down to pull the chisel out of the board (this also gets easier if the outside of the chisels are polished) The key is getting the chisel square to the fence and the drill bit about the thickness of a dime between the lower lip of the chisel and the back edge of the drill bit.

Harbor freight and other sources may still have them if the Delta unit won't fit your drill press.

Bill Wyko
10-05-2007, 3:42 PM
My DP is a PM 2800. Will the ones listed above work on this? If so, I think I will try one. The only usable bench space in my shop is a HF glue lam style bench which is about 4'x2'. Once you set a project on it and a couple tools next to it stuff starts falling on the floor:cool: As much as I'd like to have a dedicated mortiser, it would be on the floor in the way most of the time. Thanks again for the info.

John Gregory
10-05-2007, 3:43 PM
Bill, I sent you a pm. I have one that I am not using.

Jay Yoder
10-05-2007, 9:37 PM
I too have one still in box...it is the delta that did not come with chisels. would like to get it out of the way...

Sean Troy
10-05-2007, 9:52 PM
hey guys, e-mail me if you still have one you want to get rid of with details. thanks, Sean seantroy@insightbb.com

Jon Behnke
10-06-2007, 12:29 AM
I also have a delta mortising attachment new in the box if anyone is interested. Bought it a while back for a project that never panned out. I think I might even have a couple of the chisels too.

Carl Crout
10-06-2007, 1:43 PM
Don't waste your money. Delta has been giving them away free when your purchase their 17-965 drill press. That's why so many are available.
You are better off cutting mortises with your router

Curt Harms
10-06-2007, 2:13 PM
I've seen these a few times in pictures. A piece that attaches to your drill press to make the square cut but the drill press drills through it like a dedicated mortiser. Am I nuts or do these actually exist.

P.M. me if you're interested

Curt

Jim O'Dell
10-06-2007, 2:21 PM
I had hoped to get one when I bought my Delta 17-965, but the promo wasn't on when I bought it. One of these days I'll look for one. Jim.

Greg Crawford
10-06-2007, 7:25 PM
I got the free Delta mortising attachment with my Delta DP. It's hardly worth the price, free! It looked as if it had been used and then reconditioned. The fence isn't square to the table, so I have to use a shop made fence. The auger bits looked like they hadn't even been touched by a sharpener, and the chisels needed a lot of work, as well.

Be careful.

Tom Fortier
10-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Getting ready to buy the Delta Mortising Machine. As a result, I will offer the same deal to someone that I got here. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=43927)
Got it last year, and never used it. Don't think I even took it out of the packaging.

Jim Becker
10-06-2007, 10:37 PM
One came with my Jet drill press. I sold it after using twice and buying a dedicated machine. (which takes up little room) Aside from the tedious "assembly" to the DP when you want to use it, the rotating DP quill mechanism requires a lot of hand action to make each cut, whereas the dedicated unit is one simple pull of the handle.