PDA

View Full Version : 8" ShopFox Jointer?

Stan Smith
02-04-2004, 5:29 PM
I currrently have a 6" Reliant Jointer. It has served me okay, but I would like to upgrade to an 8". I sort of have my eye on a ShopFox, but have been unable to find out anything about them-pro or con. Would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Stan

Bart Leetch
02-04-2004, 9:28 PM
Well it weighs 50# more than the Grizzly G1018HW the front & back tables are 2 1/2" longer so its 70" long instead of 65" long the switch is on pedestal & the paint is white & the base is bigger other than that the guts are the same. They cost about $769.95 + shipping unknown @ NW Powertools & Grizzly in green & only 65" long & 50# less cost $770.00 with shipping. How much is 5" & 50# worth to you?

In California no matter how "Superior" it is you don't have to pay the sales tax from Grizzly.

Stan Smith
02-04-2004, 9:53 PM
Am I reading you right when you say that the only difference in cost is the shipping? Also I thought that Griz makes the ShopFox? Oh, and superior means at the upper end of the state not meaning that we are better.

Stan

Well it weighs 50# more than the Grizzly G1018HW the front & back tables are 2 1/2" longer so its 70" long instead of 65" long the switch is on pedestal & the paint is white & the base is bigger other than that the guts are the same. They cost about $769.95 + shipping unknown @ NW Powertools & Grizzly in green & only 65" long & 50# less cost $770.00 with shipping. How much is 5" & 50# worth to you?

In California no matter how "Superior" it is you don't have to pay the sales tax from Grizzly.

Bart Leetch
02-05-2004, 12:41 AM
Am I reading you right when you say that the only difference in cost is the shipping? Also I thought that Griz makes the ShopFox? Oh, and superior means at the upper end of the state not meaning that we are better.

Stan

I know where your from I was just having a little fun.

Shopfox & Grizzly are 2 different companies owned by the same people.

Your mileage may vary depending on where you purchase the Shopfox.

Depending on cost & if you have to pay shipping & whether you have to pay sales tax.

I have purchased several Grizzly tools but then I only live about 1 hr. from Bellingham, WA.

Stan Smith
02-05-2004, 10:51 AM
Thanks, Bart. I sure wish I lived up there. I really love the Sound and have taken the ferry across from Sydney.

Looking at other forums, I'm seeing mixed reviews on Grizzly. I don't personally have any Grizzly stuff and my equip. is mostly Jet. There are quite a few folks on The Oak who have all "green" shops and swear by Griz. I'm also thinking about the Bridgewood which seems to have gotten a lot of favorable reviews. I just got a Minimax 16 bs a couple of weeks ago and had some difficulty in getting it going so I'm more inclined to pay a little more to get equipment that doesn't require so much tweaking. Does that make any sense?

Stan