PDA

View Full Version : Working on new tools

Stan Welborn
10-05-2007, 12:41 PM
It happens. I've had to fix this or that to improve or repair new tools several times over the years as I'm sure most of you have. But let's face it, we're tool junkies of a sort, and compared to most tool purchasers, probably fairly mechanically inclined. So, whenever we see the fix, a large proportion of the time, we'll just go ahead and repair it ourselves. At least I do. But, it sure makes me wonder about the quality control of some companies.

Take yesterday for instance. A couple months ago I got in on the Makita SCMS deal that was posted here. And even though the saw was packed poorly, mine arrived in great shape. It has been an excellent addition to my inventory, but I REALLY fell in love with the free 18v LI drill that I sent off for. That thing is without a doubt the best cordless drill out of the dozen or so I have ever owned.

Anyway, I saw Makita's matching reciprocating saw for sale at a substantial % off (tool only) on Amazon, and received it yesterday. The battery wouldn't even begin to slide onto the saw. First thing that popped into my mind was "Oh crap, I thought they used the same batteries! So Much for my good deal!"

But within a few seconds of inspection, I realized it wanted to slide on one of the runners, but the other was effectively closed off by a large glob of plastic up underneath the runner from improper casting. A few minutes with a dremel later, and I'm in business. I've always had excellent luck with the Makita brand of power tools, but this saw had obviously never been tested. I suppose they only test a certain percentage of anything, but you would think this, being a casting issue, would have surfaced well prior to the saws going to market. Or, guess it could be a one-off for my particular saw, but I doubt it.

Maybe that's why it was on sale for $75. :D Oh well, thanks to SMCeekers, I got a 12"SCMS w/light/laser and an 18v drill/driver/rcip-saw/2 batteries/charger, all for less than $550. Woot.