PDA

View Full Version : I almost hate to show this...

Bill Huber
10-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Because its so plan and simple compared to most I have seen posted here.

I have finished my first jewelry box, its not much and it sure is not fancy like a lot that I have seen posted here....
I am making 2 just alike, one for each daughter, I have the first one finished and the second one should be done this weekend.

Again, nothing really fancy, purpleheart and maple. (left overs from cutting boards) The top is a glue up and the sides are inlays. I used box joints because I am not that good at dovetails yet and I didn't want to screw up that nice wood.

The tray slides are maple, I started out with purpleheart but I thought it needed some more color in the box so I change it to maple. The bottom of the of the box and the bottom of the try are velvet and foam glued to some matt board from Hobby Lobby.

I guess the idea is to learn from each thing you build until you get good at it. I will have to say a did learn a lot from these boxes. With the help of all the member here, I learned how to glue up a small box with rubber bands, how to install those 95 degree hinges, installing the locks are no big deal, and much much more.

Again thanks to all for the help.

73080 73081

Doug Shepard
10-05-2007, 11:49 AM
I'd say you hit a home run. It looks great.

Jim W. White
10-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Looks great!! ....very nice work.

I am sure your daughters will be elated!

James Walling
10-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Looks wonderful, nothing to be ashamed of.

Ted Calver
10-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Plain and simple floats my boat. You did a great job!

Mike Vermeil
10-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Real nice! Simple is most often better in my book.

Lee Schierer
10-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Nice job. It looks great from here!

Lee

Cary Swoveland
10-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Very nice, Bill. What finish did you use?

Cary

Ed Falis
10-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Very nice! There's another word for "plain and simple" too: "elegant".

Larry Fox
10-05-2007, 12:40 PM
No apologies necessary - I am also a fan of simple designs. very nice work indeed - congrats. I hope to do some box-making in the near future and will be thrilled if mine turn out half as good as yours.

Jeff Considine
10-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Beautiful, well executed. Very nice lines and use of materials. Lots here to feel good about.

Jeff.

Mick Zelaska
10-05-2007, 1:20 PM
I think it is safe to say that your daughters will cherish those jewelry boxes. Not to get ahead of ourselves here, but I also think that your daughters daughters will also cherish them one day.

Jon Lanier
10-05-2007, 1:23 PM
I'd be embarrassed to to show that piece. So much so, that I think you should send that box to me immediately for penance . ;)

Bill Wyko
10-05-2007, 1:36 PM
I build jewelry boxes and humidors and I'd say you've done a great job. Nice wood combo and good attention to detail. Rember, it's not how much you do but how well you did it. Good goin'. Be sure to post the 2nd one as well.:)

Alex Carrera
10-05-2007, 1:40 PM
that box is tremendous. I love purpleheart, and it looks fabulous with the maple. What did you finish it with? I've gone through a lot of thought on how to protect the color. I haven't tried putting armorall on it first, which I read somewhere on the Internet.

glenn bradley
10-05-2007, 1:42 PM
No hesitation required. It came out beautifully.

Grant Morris
10-05-2007, 1:43 PM
Beautiful. Would you mind sharing your source for the brass locks please?

Mike Golka
10-05-2007, 1:56 PM
Looks great to me!!

Bruce Page
10-05-2007, 1:59 PM
Plain and simple to you maybe but it looks great to me!
Nice job

Don Pierson
10-05-2007, 2:09 PM
Goodness! your idea of plane and simple is what I consider to be advanced. Beautiful box.

Mike Cutler
10-05-2007, 2:12 PM
Because its so plan and simple compared to most I have seen posted here.

"Plain and simple" is usually the hardest test of skill. The piece has to stand on it's own merit and design with no "frillies" to detract from the lack of craftsmanship.
I'll take plain and simple anyday.

It's a beautiful box Bill. Clean lines, elegant proportions, and very well done.

Nice work.

Roger Newby
10-05-2007, 3:13 PM
I'd be proud of that if I made it.

Jay Radke
10-05-2007, 3:16 PM
nothing to be amshamed of there in my view. looks dam nice. i am sure they will love them.

Dave Anderson NH
10-05-2007, 3:31 PM
Bill, I strongly disagree with your assessment of "plain and simple". What you have produced is what I would describe as, "Clean and elegant." Fancy, tarted up, and ostentationally ornamented does not necessarily equal good. Clean classic lines, good proportions, a great choice of woods, and excellent craftsmanship trumps flashy every time. In case I haven't made my point, Ya dunn reeeel guud.

Zahid Naqvi
10-05-2007, 4:46 PM
I think you are just being modest, that a first class box in my book.

Don Taylor
10-05-2007, 5:09 PM
I love it! :eek:

I agree with "Clean and Elegant"

DT

Hank Knight
10-05-2007, 5:12 PM
I don't think it's "plane and simple," at least not in sense that it's unattractive. I think it's elegant. Simplicity is it's own beauty. Very nicely done.

Al Barale
10-05-2007, 5:20 PM
Very nice work Bill, I think the box looks awsome, well done mate.

Tommy Emmons
10-05-2007, 5:30 PM
You may not think it is fancy, but I sure do and I bet your daughters will cherish it for a lifetime.

Jim Kountz
10-05-2007, 6:50 PM
I have always thought maple and purple heart are like peas and carrots and this box is a fine example of that! Great job!!

Glenn Clabo
10-05-2007, 6:57 PM
Plain and simple...
Ya right...;)
Perfect is more like it...
Be proud...

Mickey Finn
10-05-2007, 8:54 PM
Modesty will get you nowhere.

Or as my grandma used to say, "Shaddup, ya goon, ya did good!" ;)

There's plenty of folks in the world who prefer "clean and elegant" to "detailed and fussy", me included.

That's a fine piece of work, more than I'm capable of at this point, both in skill and the motivation to learn it and get it done. My hat's off to ya, and I raise my Guinness to salute your accomplishment.

Cheers!

Bill Huber
10-05-2007, 9:05 PM
I am some what typeless, is that what you say when you are typing and not talking, speechless just does not really fit to well....:D

Thank you all very much for the kind comments, I really appreciate them all, each and every one of them.

When I say plan and simple it was not really that it was a bad looking box it was just I would like to have put a nice inlay on top and dressed it up a little, and the joints I think would have look a lot better with dovetails.

To answer some questions.

The hardware I got from Rockler, the hinges are the 95 degree type that open up 95 degrees and that keeps the box open. When I make the next one I think I will go with something different, these were really hard to get installed just right, but now I do think I could do it again better.

The finish is just some General Finishes, Arm-R-Seal, Oil & Urethane Topcoat from Woodcraft, I think it did a good job but only time will tell. When I put on the fist coat it just blew me away in the way the color just jumped out at me. The picture is after the second coat, I just love the color and it just jumps right out at you.

And yes I am proud of it and I am sure the daughters will love them.

PS: I did add a penny and burnt my new brand into it, another SMC idea.

73088 73091

Mike McCann
10-05-2007, 9:08 PM
beutiful jewelery box what are the dimensions. I would love to make something like that for my daughters.

Mickey Finn
10-05-2007, 9:13 PM
OK, what width of Forstner bit did you use that allows the insertion of a penny? Never thought of that, that's an awesome way of dating the piece!

Bill Huber
10-05-2007, 9:14 PM
beutiful jewelery box what are the dimensions. I would love to make something like that for my daughters.

The overall dimensions are, 15 inches long, 8 1/2 wide and 4 inches high.
The dimensions were arrived at buy the scrap I had left over from the cutting boards but it is a nice size for a small jewelry box.

Bill Huber
10-05-2007, 9:18 PM
OK, what width of Forstner bit did you use that allows the insertion of a penny? Never thought of that, that's an awesome way of dating the piece!

It was as big as the penny..... :D

It sure wasn't my idea, it came right from the forum and there are some others that are really nice. "Do a search on Do you sign your work".
I really like the idea myself and thing it will add something to it as years go by.

I just got the penny bit from Rockler.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17603&filter=coin%20bits

Mickey Finn
10-05-2007, 9:34 PM
It was as big as the penny..... :D

It sure wasn't my idea, it came right from the forum and there are some others that are really nice. "Do a search on Do you sign your work".
I really like the idea myself and thing it will add something to it as years go by.

I just got the penny bit from Rockler.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17603&filter=coin%20bits

I suppose I could find a few Wheat Cents from the '30's and make my pieces an instant antique! Eames and F.L Wright got nothing on me! And dang, I look so young for my age! (kidding)

Jim Becker
10-05-2007, 10:36 PM
That's a pretty special piece, Bill. There is a lot of value in simple sometimes...please show your work no matter how plain or fancy!

Pat Doble
10-05-2007, 11:29 PM
That's a beautiful box Bill. Great combination of wood and great execution. I'm sure your daughters will love them.

Don Bullock
10-06-2007, 9:59 AM
That's a beautiful box that both you and your daughter should be proud of for many years to come.

Rick Gibson
10-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Great looking boxes, your daughters will love them.

Todd Jensen
10-06-2007, 11:24 AM
The only thing you should be bashful of is the size of the lure you used when fishing for compliments.:D The box is beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Eric Gagnon
10-14-2007, 1:08 PM
I think this is one of the nicest-looking boxes I've ever seen on SMC! Very classy and elegant.

Jeff A. Smith
10-14-2007, 1:18 PM
Are You Nuts? Hey... if you want to call that a "prototype" and build another one, well.. I'll take it! I'd like to tell everyone I did it! Ha! That looks fabulous!

Bert Johansen
10-14-2007, 2:34 PM
Hey Bill, Really lovely boxes--nicely proportioned, beautiful design (yes, simple is good). Perfect execution, I'd say. The box joints look perfect, along with the hinge and lock mortises. Very elegante! Your daughters will be mucho pleased!

kevin loftus
10-14-2007, 2:54 PM
First Class job Bill.:)

Al Willits
10-14-2007, 4:02 PM
Plain and simple alright, so plain and simple nobody even commented on it....:D :D

Pretty nice if ya ask me and I'd be proud to be able to do something that plain and simple.
Like the sig too, nice touch

Al

Jim C Bradley
10-14-2007, 7:18 PM
Bill,

I really agree with all of the positive comments you received. The box is beautiful in every way---proportion, woods chosen, placement of woods, and use of signiture.

If I made it, I would be so proud I would have to be tied down.

Enjoy,

Jim