PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
10-05-2007, 6:48 AM
Friday October 5th, 2007

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!

From our weather here, it's really hard to realize that this is the first week of Ocotober. This whole week has been pretty mild. Yesterday was 80 degrees and today is supposed to be about the same. A little cooler for the weekend, but still quite a bit above normal.

My weekend will consist of mowing the lawn as well as hunting down more moles. I'm up to 13 for the year so far, with at least 2-3 more out there at the very least. I'm hoping I can get them before they hibernate for the winter and have baby moles next spring.

Not much shop time this weekend I guess. Saturday will have to include the "Badger" game at Illinois. Sunday will be golf for LOML and me in the city championship. Good thing the "Pack" plays Sunday night or else no one would have played golf. "Da Bears" are coming to Lambeau. Should be a good game for the oldest rivalry in the NFL.

So what have you got planned for the weekend? Whatever it might be I trust that you'll make it enjoyable. And SAFE!!

Karl

Art Mulder
10-05-2007, 7:30 AM
It's Thanksgiving weekend in Canada. (Thanksgiving on Monday) so all of us "north of the border" types get a long weekend as well.

I'm planning to do some cycling. We're also going to have a big meal/visit at our friend's place. And, hopefully, I'll get a lot accomplished on this tall dresser that I've been working at, off an on, for the past 5+ months!

...art

Sean Troy
10-05-2007, 8:39 AM
I can't get into the shop to work on finishing off the interior because I just re did the lawn to repair all the ruts that happened during construction of the shop from the back hoe and concrete truck. I'll be watering the new seed on a 1/4 acre of bare earth. Other than that, me and the family will go across the river to a festival. Geez, knock on wood, but I may actually get to relax this weekend.

Nancy Laird
10-05-2007, 9:15 AM
LOML and I are headed to Portales, NM, to deliver some new goodies to Joe and Lora, our friends whose shop burned down two weeks ago. We intend to help with what we can, offer whatever moral support we can muster, and visit with our friends. Home Sunday night.

Nancy (77 days)

Jesse Espe
10-05-2007, 9:35 AM
This weekend, I'll be waiting for my realtor to call me regarding the house we want to buy so we have a place to live when I transfer up to DC in a few weeks. The home inspection last Wednesday didn't go so well - some showstoppers (electrical spaghetti, furnace had 1" of water and rusted out, basement room ceiling completely flooded after turning the water on). Things that the current owners should fix, but I don't think that they are financially capable of fixing all the stuff before closing. All I can do is wait and see. The worst case is that I'm back to square one...

So while I wait, I'll be looking for some stuff to fix around my current house to prepare it for rental...

Justin McCurdy
10-05-2007, 9:49 AM
We were going to have some friends over for a bonfire but the lovely weather around here has decided to spike into the 90's this weekend which pretty much shoots that idea down. Anything above 70 at night and the bugs are out in full force. Hopefully I can get the edging done around the flower beds and maybe pickup some mulch as well.

Shop work: I need to redesign a cabinet in Sketchup and then build it for the garage. Again, this is if it does not end up being 90 degrees in the shop.

Matt Meiser
10-05-2007, 10:21 AM
We decided at the last minute to go camping for the weekend so that will consume my entire weekend. Which is a good thing since I've been so busy with the bathroom project all summer. Not to worry though, on Monday I'll probably be running to get materials to build a bookcase for my daughter's room, the third piece in a suite of furniture I started for her 2 years ago. Over the winter I also hope to build her a dresser and a mirror.

Shop work: I need to redesign a cabinet in Sketchup and then build it for the garage.

Does this mean I should be expecting an email? ;)

Karlan Talkington
10-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Jesse, good luck on the house. If its stuff you think you could fix you could offer up that and take the costs of the repairs out of the cost of the house. Perhaps?

Week's end doin's :: I hope to finish the benchtop router table, so I can start on my bigger projects.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-05-2007, 10:37 AM
After putting my wife through feeding 22 folks last weekend.....this morning at 0630 she left me.......But she'll be back Sunday. She's departed to Vancouver WA to visit with our daughter, granddaugher, spouse and our greatgrandson.

Work on the shop......got the first row of lighting up, wired and working. It's amazing! I don't have to use those construction lights anymore. Today I've taken off but will be do some "work" work and then more electrical in the shop. I hope to get the oldest son's assistance tomorrow and get some more lights hung. Then move everything from the east side to the west side of the shop and then caulk and paint. I have been drooling over seeing the new b/s and lathe sitting there crated and on pallets.

John Browne
10-05-2007, 10:47 AM
I believe this weekend (perhaps starting today?) the Woodcraft in Seattle has their demo days thing--they set up tents in the parking lot and have mfg reps come in and demo products. We don't get a fall WW show in Washington (but Portland does next weekend) so this I guess sort of makes up for it in some tiny fashion. I guess I'll swing by today or tomorrow. Other than that it's continuing to work on the lambing pens (not exactly fine WW but necessary for the LOML).

Bill Roland
10-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Well I'm doing the same old thing I did for the last two weekends, recovering from surgery on my neck. Two weeks ago I had an old piece of hardware removed from C6-7 Cervical Vertebrae and a new bigger piece installed between C4, 5, & 6. This will fuse these vertebrae together along with some bone to replace the bad disc betweem these levels. This will leave me with 4 levels in my neck fused. I sure hope I can continue to make sawdust.

I will go back to the Dr. week after next (OCT18) to see if all is healing properly and when I can go back to work.

Daytime TV SUCKS!

Danny Thompson
10-05-2007, 11:08 AM
I hope to finish the tool cabiniet for my father's garage. Construction is complet except for the casters (Here's hoping UPS gets them delivered today.) All that's left is applying the finish. Then we can start loading and mounting tools.

This is my first cabinet and my first time making drawers, so the design is basic in a lot of ways. But it should be quite functional and should free up enough floor space for the new workbench he has in mind.

Dave Sinkus
10-05-2007, 3:27 PM
Picking up some QS Sycamore and walnut tomorrow morning.

Soccer games for the 7-year old Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.

Working on a bit on the table for SWMBO. Cherry, tapered legs - first time cutting hardwood tapers, mortise and tenons on the aprons - first time, dovetails on the poplar drawer - first time.

Have a good one everybody!

Mike Jones NM
10-05-2007, 4:09 PM
Shop time, try to finish the daughters birthday present.
Fire Department "things" Saturday and then back to the shop.
Have an order for a bunch of cedar Christmas tree mobiles and have several pencil puzzle blocks to get cut, mashed and then put together.

julie Graf
10-05-2007, 4:34 PM
i'll be going to pick up a 12 inch jointer! yehaw!

Bill Wyko
10-05-2007, 4:55 PM
I'll be working on a eucalyptus burl turning and I'll be continuing on with my BILs humidor. Monday Is my other day off and I'm going to Phoenix to see about becoming a dealer for some Dune buggies. That's about it for me.:)

Jim Kountz
10-05-2007, 6:55 PM
I will be finishing up a new stand for the lathe. Im doing it mostly from scraps left over from one of my job sites. Got a meeting with some clients on Sunday and other than that just taking it easy!

Jim Becker
10-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Wow, Julie...that's gonna make for a special weekend. (Take PICTURES!)

I'll have YMCA duty with the younger as well as a play date that follows since I was in Nashville all week and Professor Dr. SWMBO needs a little break from the parenting thing. (The older is going on a little "field trip" to Dorny Park with a school friend) I'll also probably mow the lawn for the first time in about a month, check out what the contractors got done this week on the addition and get more work done in the shop on the cabinetry for the "toilet room" of the master bath in the addition.

Oh, and I have a bit of work to do to get my new work PC "personalized"...we changed out over 3000 laptops this week at our fiscal year kick-off meetings in Nashville and I have software to load and a lot of information to restore on mine. Unfortunately, I need quite a bit of that done by Monday as I have customer stuff lined up...