PDA

View Full Version : cleaning the coating off of chisels?

glenn bradley
10-04-2007, 10:44 PM
I have a set of Marples chisels I would like to remove the clear coating form prior to sharpening. Any of you have a suggestion? Paint thinner and acetone do not work.

Gary Keedwell
10-04-2007, 11:06 PM
I know this sounds obvious...but did you try scraping it with a knife?:confused: :)
Gary

Steven J Corpstein
10-05-2007, 12:02 AM
I wanted to do the same thing and finally resorted to paint stripper. It came right off. Make sure you apply it carefully and don't get any on the handles.

Dan Forman
10-05-2007, 4:09 AM
I had trouble even using paint stripper. Finally just scraped it off with a single edge razor blade.

Dan

Alan Turner
10-05-2007, 4:22 AM
We see that on new Two Cherries chisels of our students, and recommend lacquer thinner and a nonwoven abrasive.

Bill Brehme
10-05-2007, 5:54 AM
Paint stripper... As toxic as you can get.:mad: Must be able to remove lacquer. Tried lacquer thinner, soaked overnight... No bueno..:(.

Stripper!!!:) Where???:eek:

Rich Engelhardt
10-05-2007, 7:11 AM
Hello Glenn,
Irwin says the blades are "lacqured for rust protection".
If indeed it is a lacquer, then lacquer thinner should eventually cut throuh the finish.

What I suggest is hanging them.
Take a small metal container with a plastic lid. (small coffee can works well) Cut a slit like this >---< in the lid. Pour a small amount of lacquer thinner into the container, just enough so that when you push the chisel through the lid, the tip is just above the level of the solvent.
Swirl the can around so that some of the solvent splashes on the blade, then let it sit for a few days.
The concentrated fumes should eat through the lacquer.

Keep a close eye on the plastic lid for any signs that the fumes are "melting" it. You might also want to put some clay around the slit to keep the fumes from attacking the handle also.
Since lacquer thinner (a combination of Alcohol and Tolulene) forms fumes heavier than air, there shouldn't be any escape. Changes in barometric pressure can cause some of the fumes to escape though.

Flameable paint remover will also work, and much faster, as will MEK or MIBK. Being in Ca. though, I don't think those are available to you there.

Chris Friesen
10-05-2007, 11:35 AM
I have a set of Marples chisels I would like to remove the clear coating form prior to sharpening. Any of you have a suggestion? Paint thinner and acetone do not work.

Sounds like some serious coating. Mine were just coated in laquer, and I used non-acetone nail polish remover.

Sean Kinn
10-05-2007, 12:14 PM
I just hit them quick with the 220 then the 400 grit sandpaper. The backs had to be flattened anyway. I finished off with some 800 and they are nearly a mirror finish (would be if I hadn't gotten in trouble for using the bathroom countertop as my flat surface ;-) )

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Mineral spirits and a rag does the trick.

Alex Berkovsky
10-05-2007, 12:31 PM
I have a set of Marples chisels I would like to remove the clear coating form prior to sharpening. Any of you have a suggestion? Paint thinner and acetone do not work.I didn't even know that they had a coating on them and sharpened the chisels w/o removing it. Stupid me! Should have known that something must be protecting them from rust.

Gary Keedwell
10-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Mineral spirits and a rag does the trick.
Come on Cliffy, pay attention...Op said paint thinner didn't work:rolleyes: :)

GK