PDA

View Full Version : Wolfe Spider

Jason Christenson
10-04-2007, 10:31 PM
My five year old's newest pet is a wolfe spider that lives in a glass milk bottle. Anyone know how often these things need to eat?

Jason

Kyle Laird
10-04-2007, 11:11 PM
Sorry Jason, no idea. They usually don't last but about as long as it takes to get a shoe to squash them. <shiver>

Martin Shupe
10-05-2007, 1:04 AM
We have a tarantula. Bought at the school science/book fair. Mom was reluctant at first, but it is easy to take care of, quite, and eats a few crickets now and then. Lives in an aquarium in my kid's room. It has shed once in 4 years. They live a long time and are easy to maintain.

Randy Denby
10-05-2007, 8:46 AM
Reminds me...about 10 years ago, my daughter got herself about a 3 ft. florida ratsnake and things were ok for about a year.....but it got loose. We never did find it, or smell it. Every night for a year or more, I'd look way up under the covers before getting into bed.:eek: Its probably still in the house somewhere....just waiting...

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-05-2007, 10:12 AM
They eat bugs. Toss a cricket in the jar and watch.

My little web spinners ( the brownish ones with bodies like a black widow) will trap and kill HUGE wolf spiders.

Jason Christenson
10-05-2007, 10:24 AM
They eat bugs. Toss a cricket in the jar and watch.

My little web spinners ( the brownish ones with bodies like a black widow) will trap and kill HUGE wolf spiders.

I know WHAT they eat, I just don't know how often they need to eat.

Jason

Rich Stewart
10-05-2007, 11:26 AM
I think THEY know when to eat. Don't spiders wrap things up to eat later?

Jason Christenson
10-05-2007, 12:06 PM
I think THEY know when to eat. Don't spiders wrap things up to eat later?

As far as I can tell Wolfe Spiders don't do that. They don't even spin webs, they just attack and eat. Then they go...take a nap, I guess.

Jason

Jason Christenson
10-05-2007, 12:13 PM
I just found my answers. If anyone else is interested, I found them here (http://www.uky.edu/Ag/CritterFiles/casefile/bugconnection/petbugs/Kentucky/Kentucky.htm#wolf).

Jason

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-05-2007, 1:23 PM
I just found my answers. If anyone else is interested, I found them here (http://www.uky.edu/Ag/CritterFiles/casefile/bugconnection/petbugs/Kentucky/Kentucky.htm#wolf).

Jason

Sometimes google is your best-est friend.

As an aside if the thing gets really huge and no one wants to hunt bugs any longer for it, you can toss it on the embers of a dying fire and eat it. If it's like a tarantula, it'll taste like crab.

Jon Lanier
10-05-2007, 1:32 PM
And here I thought they just needed to eat one small pet a year.

Jason Christenson
10-05-2007, 1:40 PM
...you can toss it on the embers of a dying fire and eat it. If it's like a tarantula, it'll taste like crab.

Lol...thanks for the tip. I probably won't do that.

Jason

Dennis Peacock
10-05-2007, 3:09 PM
If it's like a tarantula, it'll taste like crab.

And I thought everything tastes like "chicken". ;) :D

Ed Breen
10-08-2007, 4:43 PM
This past Saturday my six year old grandson came up to me and said he was going to let his tarantula and grass snake go free. I asked why and he said they should find a home before winter. He then set them free on the front lawn. What a kid
Ed:D :D :D

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-08-2007, 5:03 PM
This past Saturday my six year old grandson came up to me and said he was going to let his tarantula and grass snake go free. I asked why and he said they should find a home before winter. He then set them free on the front lawn. What a kid
Ed:D :D :D

The grass snake might make it.
The tarantula - - - - maybe not.

However I'd be happy to have it out of the house.