PDA

View Full Version : Thought my planer woes were over but....

Jared Cuneo
10-04-2007, 10:01 PM
So with the help of Mike G, my planer (Delta 12.5") is almost snipe free, but now I have a new problem.

Before this incident, I had a nasty kickback that threw a block of wood into a shop door and left a nice dent....It was very hard. I opened the cutterhead up and noticed that a layer of the offending piece had lodged under one of the blades. I removed the screws from half of the blade and took out the wood scraps then bolted her back up.

Now its tapering boards (cutting deeper on that one side). A measurement from bed to head is inconsistient due to the fact that the bed flexes slightly with pressure :confused:. The manual does not list ANY adjustment procedures whatsoever, not even for the knives....Should I replace the blades or just shim the bed?
JC

Kirk Poore
10-04-2007, 11:52 PM
So with the help of Mike G, my planer (Delta 12.5") is almost snipe free, but now I have a new problem.

Before this incident, I had a nasty kickback that threw a block of wood into a shop door and left a nice dent....It was very hard. I opened the cutterhead up and noticed that a layer of the offending piece had lodged under one of the blades. ... with pressure :confused:. The manual does not list ANY adjustment procedures whatsoever, not even for the knives....Should I replace the blades or just shim the bed?
JC

I had a similar problem with wood wedged under one blade on my old Delta porta-planer (22-560). My locking bar was bent. I had to replace both the blade and the locking bar. The bar was fairly cheap (under $10), but that was 7-8 years ago.

Kirk