PDA

View Full Version : Splicing undergorund wire

David G Baker
10-04-2007, 8:24 PM
I did a boo boo, I cut the power to my out buildings with the front end loader on my John Deere. The wire was not where it should have been. Heard that one before?
I have new wire to replace the source side wire and three splice kits for 3 #2 aluminum wires to bridge the break. The splice kit is the shrink tubing type with an aluminum tube with two screws in it to fasten the two wires together. Cover the splice with the shrink tubing add heat
My question, is using the two items all that is need to safely splice the wires? I have used a lot of standard shrink tubing but wonder if the type in the kit will be moisture proof.

Terry Kelly
10-04-2007, 10:35 PM
alot of times the shrink tube in those kits has an epoxy type stuff inside that activates when it's heated and will ooze out of the ends as well as encase the splice. You can also get a product called Scotchcoat it's a nasty sealing compound,brush on liquid, that also will seal it up nicely. I've used in before for that application.

David G Baker
10-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Thanks Terry. I thought that there had to be something other than just the shrink tube alone.
I asked the person at the electric shop but she didn't know and all of the electricians were out bow hunting.