PDA

View Full Version : photo in granite

Dean Barber
10-04-2007, 8:20 PM
Here is my go on granite... It is centered but is on a stand & I cropped the picture. I think it came out ok..But would like to hear any suggestions. Sorry about the flash.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee51/skispcs/2007_10040007.jpg

Bill Cunningham
10-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Looks pretty good to me!! Did you rub in anything to whiten it, or is that natural.. I find that when I take a picture of a granite job that has not been 'white rubbed' it looks as if it has.. Something about the etched portions of the granite reflecting the light, that enhances the brightness of the etch but only on the photo.. To make the white 'real' you have to rub it with white oil paint

Dean Barber
10-04-2007, 10:12 PM
no, nothing on it.. Straight from the laser engraver

Bill Cunningham
10-04-2007, 11:15 PM
It looks good, if you want it to look great, go buy a tube of Winton Titanium white oil paint, put a tiny bit on a cloth, and rub it into the surface.. It will take quite a while to dry, so you have lots of time to get it well rubbed in.. If it's going outside, Once dry (several days) you can then seal the granite with any quality stone sealer... The pictures always look brighter and whiter than the actual etching, the oil paint will make the bright perm. This is for granite only, black marble is a nice white all by itself.. Gold. silver and many other contrasting colours work well too..

Frank Corker
10-05-2007, 6:20 AM
Dean, it has turned out well, if I were to have one critisism the outlines on the figures have been tweeked a little too hard. Subtle would have been easier on the eye. Suprisingly the eye will make the edge even if it's not there, when it's enhanced it doesn't actually help. But that said, it's turned out well and certainly bright enough without the addition of colour.

Dean Barber
10-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Bill thanks for the tip on the paint. Would I be able to get that at lowes?
Frank--Thanks for the tip also & I will work on the outlines

Joe Pelonio
10-05-2007, 2:29 PM
I think you did very well on it. If you have any say on the choice of photo for future jobs, try to get one with a less "busy" background so you get more definition to the detail on the edges of the subjects, without the issue that Frank mentioned.

They won't always have one though, because the photographers don't shoot it with a laser etching in mind.

Darren Null
10-05-2007, 2:37 PM
...or (if you have photoshop) clip out the subjects, so you just have to get the settings right for them.

Bill Cunningham
10-07-2007, 7:42 AM
Any art store will have the titanium white oil paint.. I got a small tube ($10.00) at a Michaels Craft store..The small tube will probably last for years!!

Tom Cullen
10-08-2007, 8:21 PM
Bill,
how long would you guess the color fill on black granite would last outside? assuming it was sealed with a good sealer. I have a job to do for a school on a 4'X24' wall and wanted to brighten it up some but was worried that the paint might come off. I'm here in San Diego so the weather isn't really that bad , even in winter. Hopefully it would last years ?

Thanks
Tom

Bill Cunningham
10-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Bill,
how long would you guess the color fill on black granite would last outside? assuming it was sealed with a good sealer. I have a job to do for a school on a 4'X24' wall and wanted to brighten it up some but was worried that the paint might come off. I'm here in San Diego so the weather isn't really that bad , even in winter. Hopefully it would last years ?

Thanks
Tom

Hi Tom.. I sent a reply to the PM you sent me... Hope it helps