PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas please

Craig D Peltier
10-04-2007, 8:07 PM
Please see diagram. I have a 2.75 x 2.75 x 36L Cherry leg that I need to make a large stop rabbett in. So unit/box is 24" tall so the stop rabbett is 24 inch deep by 2 3/8 x 2 3/8 leaving a 3/8 thick cheek. The cheeks wont be supporting much the haunch will.
So I glued up 2 2x4s an ripped them to size for a test. I raised the TS blade to 2 3/8 and made my rips stopping short of the 24 inch of course but went as far as I could. Then I put the leg on chop saw at 45 angle and did a few relieve cuts at bottom then broke em out with a chisel.
My chisels arent the best there bucks 1" down to 1/4 inch but I can sharpen them pretty good. Im sure I could chisel it out but it will take a while.
I was looking for other ideas.I tried a jig saw but it bounced and im afraid I wont get a straight cut due to the thickness. I have a mortiser that I have never used but was thinking about mortising a 1x1 line at the 24 inch mark but not sure if that will be a clean line where the cabinet sits on top of it.
So is the only way to do this a chisel? I have a band saw, jointer, block plane (no bullnose plane), mortiser, scroll saw, jig saw, biscuit jointer, skill saw, bosch flush cut saw or electric handsaw.

Thanks for looking.

Craig D Peltier
10-04-2007, 8:33 PM
Heres two pics of the one I just finished. There was a nasty knot at the end so its kind of messy.It came out pretty good.