PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight Tools

John Wibbenmeyer
10-04-2007, 6:52 PM
I put the name in the title so the mod. can delete it if its not allowable. I didn't see where it wasn't in the FAQ's
So here goes,,, Are Harbor Freight tools worth the money? I don't get to use the shop all that much due to my health But I want the tools I do get to perform decent. Know what I mean???
Thanks for any answers

Dave Sharpe
10-04-2007, 7:09 PM
At the risk of sounding too critical of a particular company or brand name, I've never been happy with tools I've purchased at Harbor Freight. I generally got what I paid for - ie: low prices = low quality. Depends on how much you want to work in your shop and what good tools are worth to you. A tool that requires constant adjustment, setup, calibration, etc probably isn't worth the effort - you'll spend more time setting up the tool than actually using it to accomplish the task at hand.

Joe Branch
10-04-2007, 7:17 PM
My opinion to your question - Yes. You get what you pay for! I'm also weary of anything with a HF motor in it. I always try to wait for items to go on sale. For example, a $10 drill on sale from HF has a value of $10. Where if I were to purchase a $60 drill somewhere else it may have a value of $75.

John Shuk
10-04-2007, 7:37 PM
John I think there are good tools to be had from HF but it can be difficult to cull them from the junk. I think that to get them usable takes a bit of fettling most of the time.

Kent Fitzgerald
10-04-2007, 7:57 PM
There are a number of Harbor Freight items that have given me more than my money's worth (purchased at sale prices):

47257 digital calipers
92020 digital multimeter
93983 non-contact thermometer
34706 lathe
47066 turning tool set
40131 air hose reel
42321 air compressor
41983 rotary hammer
45338 hammer drill
93859 lockback utility knives

as well as various sundries like bits, blades, gloves, tape, cable ties, tarps, etc., etc.

scott spencer
10-04-2007, 8:07 PM
HF tools can be hit or miss and require a bit more research IMO or you can end up wasting hard earned money. Depending on usage and expectactions, there are some that'll do the task on occasion but I sure wouldn't equip my entire shop in HF machines.

ie: I do occasional mortises and thought the $99 HF mortiser would do the job...and it has. I also like their Pittsburg bar clamps and digital calipers, but I've been burned by some of their items too.

Darren Ford
10-04-2007, 8:44 PM
Hit or miss is right. There are definitely some gems. If you have a particular tool in mind, do a search here or ask. You will have to know the particular model #. HF sometimes sells two similiar items, one being great, one junk. Just don't buy anything until you ask around.

David Weaver
10-04-2007, 9:03 PM
I've had good luck with a compressor that I got from them - a cheapie one that I use just to run an HVLP gun. I have seen other stuff in the store that wasn't what I would consider saleable. I guess you just have to know what you're looking at.

Some of the other stuff hasn't turned out so well. If there's something you like, and you go to a store to check it out, I would wait for it to be on sale.

The one thing that HF is great for is NiMH batteries. They cost less there than duracell batteries cost at the store.

Roger Ronas
10-04-2007, 9:54 PM
Hello John,
So to hear about bad health problems, I'm actually being evaluated for kidney transplant as we speak.
Everyone is right in stating that you get what you pay for, as well as some good buys as there is alot of junk there too. I would ask myself several things:
1. Do you have the money to buy quality tools and then may be pass them down to someone?
2. If on a tight budget, will the frustration factor of lesser quality tools get the better of you?
3. Are you looking to make high quality items or just have something to pass sometime in the shop with?

These are just a few questions that I've ask myself before retooling the shop.

Good Luck,
Roger

Vernon Taylor
10-04-2007, 10:42 PM
I have bought numerous items at HF which have proven to be decent values. I think the key probaly is th existance of a local retail store, any items I have had a problom with, they have always been willing to exchange or refund my money.
I don't think I would buy from them mail order. The only big item I have bought from them is the pancake compressor and that has performed flawlessly, their nail guns have also been satisfacory for my hobbyist use. I have a couple of their 18V drills which I have had for three+ years that still operate well. My tool arsenal runs the gamet from Delta Unisaw and bandsaw,Jet Jointer,a lot of Bosch,Fein Vacumn and Mutimaster, some Rigid items etc so I am not pushing one option over another. Just buy what works for you for the job at hand. Take care, enjoy the shop when you can and please accept my hopes that you overcome your health probloms.

skip coyne
10-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Ive been pleasantly surprised MOST of what Ive bought there has exceeded my expectations

we have a local store so I'm able to inspect the items before purchase

sign up for their email / mailing lists lots of specials and 10-20 % discount coupons

mike roe
10-04-2007, 11:10 PM
i think there are some things that are not a risk buying from them like the anti fatigue floor mats - 8 bucks for 16 square feet and they cant break. Ive bought clamps there as well.

Also this weekend at least at the one by me is a big sidewalk sale - good prices advertised on bar clamps and stuff like that. Ive never bought a power tool though.

Dave Falkenstein
10-04-2007, 11:59 PM
We have a local HF store not too far from home. I have purchased several items from Harbor Freight, and been disappointed with almost all of them. The only thing I kept and used was some link belts. I have decided to give up on HF, and I just don't shop there any more.

Randal Stevenson
10-05-2007, 12:32 AM
Seen a LOT of mixed luck with HF.

While I've had good luck with their impact sockets (old design, thick wall), I've heard both ways with others (seems like the newer thin wall ones were the problem).
I have hand selected a few tools, as I have seen various stages of finishes on them (things like the Garret Wade #1 odd jobs that they sell, not marked Garret Wade).

Had good luck with air hoses (Goodyear) and reels, dust collector (starting out one), AO Safety full face shield, Pnuematic safety couplers, Quick Release Woodworking vise with a benchdog, etc.

I don't order from their catalog, I only go to the store, to pick between. Any Powertools, I tend to try and avoid, but the Dust collector, and the pancake compressor were good buys (for my needs).

Jim C Bradley
10-05-2007, 12:51 AM
Hi,

Like many others posting to this thread I have seen very good and very bad at HF. I purchased a log splitter for roughly $250.oo. It works VERY well and has been no problem. It is much better than some $500.oo units I have seen. We have two woodstoves and we heat the house with wood only. Over the time I have owned it it has split several cords of wood without any problem.

I have an 18v drill. It works fine. It is far better than the B&D Firestorm I had before it. HOWEVER, it does not have the finesse of the "better" drills (my Ridgid is a dream) with things like two speeds and one-handed chucks. The HF chuck works fine but it takes two hands to tighten or loosen. Oh yes, it cost about $15.oo. My Firestorm was over $100.oo. The Ridgid was a bit over $100.oo (It has lifetime warranty on batteries). The Firestorm chuck was fine. The Ridgid chuck is wonderful.

I have purchased a large brad point drill set (25 drills. 1/8 to 1/2 in 64ths. In yellow plastic case with window). They have a tendency to drill a little oversize because the shafts are not truly true (I think that is English). They DO cut much faster than my more expensive drills. So I use them whenever exact size is not a requirement.

HF casters are a real bargin, especially when on sale. Excellent quality at a low price.

I have a small, 7 LED flashlight (about $5.oo) that gives a very uniform illumination. This makes it much easier to see detail than any of the other flashlights I own. All of the other flashlights were much more expensive and produce much poorer quality illumination. I will be in the shop standing right next to a flashlight. However, I find that I will walk clear across the shop to get this small unit. The other flashlights are brighter and if I were out in the country on a dark and stormy night I would prefer them.

I have HF reciprocating saw and an offset grinder. They work fine. I do not use either very often however. They were quite inexpensive.

There are also many tools that I did NOT buy at HF. I looked at them---turned the knobs, etc. and left them in the store.

Oh yes, I bought a great bench vice for $19.oo. It is as good or better than units I have seen for over $100.oo.

I will shut-up now. I know, I should have sooner. Anyway---

Enjoy,

Jim

Tom Veatch
10-05-2007, 2:37 AM
I can only repeat what has been said many times in this thread - HF is a mixed bag. Unlike one responder, my 18v drill was a bust. The planetary gears stripped in the middle of a screwing down decking boards. Ran up to HD and bought a 12v Ryobi to finish the job (it's still going strong).

On the other hand, an HF 4-1/2" angle grinder has worn out a lot of grinding wheels on my less-than-satisfactory welds and keeps my lawn mower blades sharpened quite well. Bought as second grinder (non HF) when I found myself having to frequently change between wire wheels, cut-off disks, and abrasive wheels/flap disks. The non HF grinder is a little more convenient in some respects and is a little better ergonomically, but the HF version has turned out to be a much better value.

My attitude is that buying power tools from HF is a crapshoot, but they are usually high on my list for consumables. Only problem is the 30 mile round trip is a little too far unless I'm stocking up on a list of items.

Homeowner, light usage, hobbiest type stuff, you could do OK. For heavy usage, commercial, industrial, or income critical items, I'd advise going elsewhere. But, as long as you don't expect to get more than what you pay for, HF is not a bad place to shop.

Mike Null
10-05-2007, 8:19 AM
I'm an HF customer. Like the others I select carefully but I've never had to return anything I bought and I have always felt it was worth the trip to their store.

I have a $19 brad and staple gun (pneumatic) that I use lightly every week without problem. I have a couple of spray guns that have been far better than expected. The other things, clamps, pry bars, dead blow hammers , etc. have been just fine.

I do not buy power tools there because I'm a little concerned about the fit feel and finish but I think all of us could find something useful there.

If you sign up for their email mailing list you will get some pretty regular notices of coupons and sales.

Mark Singer
10-05-2007, 8:32 AM
Things like glue brushes, painting pads are fine. I bought an excellent set of screwdrivers there....The power tools I don't care to try

Mike Cutler
10-05-2007, 8:46 AM
John

I have found that the difference between purchasing from HF, or a "name brand", comes down to How much accuracy/repeatability do you need, and how often will the tool be used.
For example: If you use a wood working chisel once every few months to clean up glue lines. An HF chisel set would be fine. If you are intending to use them to do hand cut dovetails, or chop your own mortises. I don't think you will be very happy with an HF set.
Most of their measuring tools are OK.I wouldn't use them for machine shop work, or setting up a machine. Wood will by nature expand and contract enough to fit within their accuracy spec's, making it a moot point.
Look at your needs, and frequency of use. If the tool will be used frequently. I would look for a manufacture that has a rep for making a more "robust" tool that will hold up too frequent use/abuse. I would personally be hesitant to purchase an air compressor from HF for example.

Ralph Lindberg
10-05-2007, 11:06 AM
There are a number of Harbor Freight items that have given me more than my money's worth (purchased at sale prices):

47257 digital calipers
92020 digital multimeter
93983 non-contact thermometer
34706 lathe
47066 turning tool set
40131 air hose reel
42321 air compressor
41983 rotary hammer
45338 hammer drill
93859 lockback utility knives

as well as various sundries like bits, blades, gloves, tape, cable ties, tarps, etc., etc.

I also own the digital meter, digital caliper (I think Kurt Theobald resells these for segmented turning), the "red" handled lathe chisels, weight scales, etc. Along with many sundries..

I also have their right-angle drill, I use it strictly for sanding, I bought two for less then what one "Major Name" right-angle drill would cost. Since the largest single point failure of drills (used for sanding) is dust intake failures, I figure I am far ahead.

But I also had some of their "junk" I quickly got rid of, like the framing nailer and 7 inch circular saw. I can endorse selective buying.

David Weaver
10-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Someone should mention that a lot of the stuff they have is the mid-range import junk being offered by other manufacturers. The calipers are a good example.

Notice that everyone's cheap calipers look exactly like the 0.001" display 6-inch HF calipers, which can be had for $15 at HF, and which sell from other places for up to $40 - exact same thing. I've even spotted them in reloading catalogs and other unrelated stuff. Someone is cranking them out and distributing them all over the place.

The HVLP conversion top-feeder gun that rockler and a bunch of other pro-level places sell is another example. It's $25 on sale at HF and $50 at rockler and more some other places. I think it's a loose copy of a SATA gun (i'm sure it's not as good as a true SATA), and it worked fantastically well for me spraying water-based lacquer without thinning.

Their compressors are starting to show up all over the place with other brands stamped on them, like SENCO, etc. Why pay 2.5 times as much for said compressor, when it's just as easy to return it at HF if it breaks.

I have the 5.0 scfm compressor (i'm limited to 110 but I wanted something to spray with, or at least try spraying and get a better compressor if I need one). It goes on sale for $99 every couple of months and fits in a car trunk. I have sprayed test pieces and a book case with an HVLP conversion gun with it and it had no trouble keeping up, and it's substantially built.

It's still a matter of what you want to do, but I'm convinced that the tool world is getting farther and farther apart in terms of the premium vs. the low-priced stuff - because everyone is realizing it's cheaper to buy something from the suppliers working with HF and put their brand on it. The true premium stuff is still far better, but the stuff that costs half as much from reputable brands is still "expensive for what it is" in my book, and there's becoming less and less reason to buy it.

Go long (buy the premium stuff) or go short (buy the cheap stuff to get your feet wet) is my motto - I've been burned by too much mid-grade stuff not being what it's advertised to be.

It won't kill anyone to go walk through the store and handle things, and nobody is going to take your picture and put it up at the local woodworker's guild and blacklist you.

Whoever said, though, that they'd like to see the stuff first and many not order too much from the catalog - I agree with that. It's hit or miss, so it really helps to see it first.

nic obie
10-05-2007, 1:20 PM
Their Pittsburgh F clamps just can't be beat. I must have 50 of them. The 6" one are on sale all the time for $1.99. I like them better than the jorgies because their bar is chromed and the orange ones are not and get hard to slide when rust and other crud build up. Just be sure to take them out of the box and make sure that the swivels on them do.

Jon Toebbe
10-05-2007, 9:34 PM
I'll chime in with my experiences.

The digital calipers are, as others have said, a great bargain. Our school bought a set for science labs, and they've held up under the depredations of three years worth of freshmen and are still going strong.

I have the 14" bandsaw that's on sale all the time. The blade it came with literally couldn't cut through a scrap of fir 2x4. I swapped it out for a Timberwolf, and I'm all smiles. The plastic miter gauge is worthless, but I need a bandsaw for cutting curves and various other free-handed odd jobs.

Their reciprocating saw was cheap and certainly did an okay job for my home-improvement needs recently. Get Bosch or other higher-quality blades and you're good to go.

I've been very pleased with their clamps. I sorted through the F-clamps before buying, and picked out the good ones. Their aluminum bar clamps have worked well for me. It let me get a good assortment as a beginner without investing a lot of money.

The key (as everyone is mentioning) is to buy on sale. Never pay retail at Harbor Freight. Come with a coupon, or their email/mailed flyer and stock up when stuff is nearly free. I'e heard a lot of good things about the value of their drill presses as well, but don't own one myself. I probably will, one of these days.

Quesne Ouaques
10-05-2007, 11:05 PM
My story parallels much of what has already been said, but I am happy to give some details of my personal experience with HF tools.

I am a fairly satisfied HF customer, though I have learned to pick and choose carefully what I will buy from them. You do get what you pay for, but that is not always a bad thing. Especially if the quality is decent and it's on sale. But it does take time to separate the wheat from the chaff!

I find their customer service to be very good, and I use it to the absolute maximum. Whenever I don't like something for any reason I simply return it. I return stuff all the time and I've never had an issue whether I paid $1 for an item or $25. They have also frequently refunded the price difference to my credit card when something I bought went on sale. They do it with a smile, both mail order and in the stores. Of course, you have to be looking for the price change and take the time to call them. But for those of us (like me :-) who have more time than money, it can yield some nice deals on moderate quality tools.

I have never bought anything for full price since they eventually get around to putting most of the stuff on sale, and they also price match with their website up to one year after your purchase. I have gotten dozens of useful accessories from HF (e.g. adjustable carbide drill press circle cutter, air tool lubricator/regulator, carbide masonry bits, drill press clamps, latex and leather gloves, glue brushes, bench brushes, etc.) all for amazingly low prices. I also bought a reconditioned 31cc Ryobi gas trimmer/brush cutter for $49 (price new was $140). That was six years ago, and I still use it all the time.

I've bought several things from HF that turned into horror stories, and countless small items that were really crap. There was a 140 lb drill press (43378) that was delivered broken (in several places) because of the laughable packaging quality. The UPS guy was not amused when he showed up two days later for a quick return (he had delivered it up our steep driveway through 2 feet of snow to get to our door).

Or the THREE bench grinders that I had to return -- one right after the other -- because the vibration in all of the motors was so pronounced that when they were running, it was hard to see exactly where the edges of the grinding wheels were.

These experiences quickly turned me away from buying power tools from them (with a few exceptions; see below). It just seemed to be too much trouble -- especially mail order when you cannot see the quality. I've also been sent some measuring tools that were real junk, and some workshop accessories like a rolling seat and a featherboard set that were worthless.

On the positive side, I have been pretty satisfied with the numerous air tools I've bought from them, as well as most of the hand tools, power tool accessories and supplies (turning chisel set, tap and die set, table saw and jigsaw blades, Japanese-style hardwood plane, grinding stone set, abrasive angle-grinder disks, drill press vice, bandfile belt sander, dozens of 3/4" pipe clamps, F clamps and hardwood clamps, etc.). I use them all the time and consider them all to be worth what I paid.

FYI - Despite what I said about power tools, I do own one of their carbide grinders (46727), a polisher/buffer (92623), a hammer drill (45338) and a rotary hammer (02957). I saw them all before I bought them, however, and it probably helps that I have two HF stores within a 25 minute drive of my house. I paid $100 for the carbide grinder (normally $165) after they price matched a web special for $119 and took a 15% coupon on top of that. It is identical to the Grizzly machine (H7762 - $199 plus shipping) and I got a 2 year replacement guarantee included in the price.

One man's opinion, FWIW!

Jim Becker
10-06-2007, 9:13 AM
'Probably been said in this thread, but there are some things from HFT that offer reasonable value and others that...well...don't. You have to determine what your comfortable with. My personal motto is "the most expensive tools are the ones you have to replace early and often." Make your selections in such a way that you accommodate that and you'll be fine. Light duty and occasional use tools can often be just fine from a bargain supplier. For things that you intend to depend upon, make an investment farther up the tooling food chain.

John Mihich
10-06-2007, 10:28 AM
I have their:

6" jointer - works fine so far (1 year old).
HVLP guns - 2 of them - great guns for the price.
Auto tools - most are fine for occassional user.
1 x 30" sander - works good (2 years)
14.4 volt drill - for the price I could buy 10 high priced ones - 3 years.
clamps - several - only a couple had problem - good for the price.
sand paper - won't buy again.
hose connectors - won't buy again.
hoses - good for the price.
nitile gloves - great for the price.

That's about all that I have purchased.

glenn bradley
10-06-2007, 1:00 PM
I find HF a diamond in the rough sort of search. I think there is another post somewhere here where folks had identified some of the good stuff. I have never cared for anything I have bought form them with a motor on it. OK wait a minute; there was that $19 'Sawzall' that I bought for a demolition job that I expected to die half way through. Still going strong but very crude. And their angle drill is still working but it is also crude, noisey, etc. I definitly got my money's worth out of those two.

Also their cutting tools (drills to sandpaper) are mostly questionable in my experiance. Here's some gems I've found:

Their wooden hand screw clamps, c-clamps and 4" spring clamps are a bargain on sale (other types, not so much).
40 foot, 12gauge cord reel is great.
Manual air hose reel.
I picked up a couple 10" quick release bench vises at $20 each that are a-ok for that price.
4 wheel, skid-type dollies.
Hanging parts bins.
Tarps.
Acid brushes (the little throw away glue brushes)
Some of their calipers (I know I said no accuracy but there are exceptions)
Some of their rope and bungees.
Air tool fittings.
Safety goggles.
Rubber sanding blocks (prefer their $1 version over the $5 versions at other stores.
Their DC gets good reviews although I do not have one.I avoid chisels, pliers, screwdrivers, most anything that requires accuracy, any of their fasteners (real soft), anything that holds any weight over my head . . . you get the idea.

I know others have found some reliable bargains and I'm sure they will post.

Greg Crawford
10-06-2007, 7:33 PM
I'll go with most of what's been said. Clamps, floor mats, glue brushes, utility brushes, air hose and fittings, stuff like that has been great for me. I think their 2 HP DC is the same as my Shop Fox that I paid more for.

Jim Heffner
10-06-2007, 10:37 PM
I put the name in the title so the mod. can delete it if its not allowable. I didn't see where it wasn't in the FAQ's
So here goes,,, Are Harbor Freight tools worth the money? I don't get to use the shop all that much due to my health But I want the tools I do get to perform decent. Know what I mean???
Thanks for any answers
John, I have some HF tools, and so far they work pretty well. I have their 6" jointer #30289, even though it was a pita to set up the base part of it,
the machine makes good smooth cuts for me. I have a few of their other
other items as well (not all are power tools) and they do as well as others I have had in the past. They do have some "gems in the rough" so to speak, but as a general rule their stuff is ok. On the other hand...they do have some smaller items that I call junk and I leave it where it is, so look their stuff over and make your own decision. Best part is...if it fails, take it back...they will replace it no questions asked.

Ralph Lindberg
10-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Just got a new mail-order sale flyer.. Some gems, some very soft split leather gloves for 0.99 (42426-2RXB), Sanding sponges 2.99 a pack (course 46751-3RXB, med 46752-3RXB, fine 46753-3RXB), 7 function multi-meter 2.99 (90899-1RXB), 4" Magnetic tray $1.99 (90566-5RXB), Teflon tape 1/2 1.99 (01123-5RXB) 5/8 2.49 (01124-5RXB), Garden hose spray nozzle 2.99 (92398-4RXB), 10 piece Foam brush set 0.99 (3991-8RXB) and Ear muffs 1.99 (43768-6RXB)

Now, I have all of the above and think that these prices are excellent. Infact I will be ordering a few of the above (including extra gloves for a friend that borrowed one of mine and wants some for himself)

jason lambert
10-09-2007, 10:52 AM
It is hit or miss, I am satified about 30% with the tools I but and 80% in general. They are good for cheap air tools and other stuff. In general if there is a tool I will use alot I don't even look there. Forget there cordless drills and other heavy used toos you are better off witht he name brand. But if you need a tool you will use once in a blue moon some of there stuff will fit the bill.

Bill Huber
10-09-2007, 11:09 AM
I just notice in the new section they now have an angle gauge, $35.
That is just about 1/2 of the cost that everyone else has them for. It looks a lot like the Wixey, not sure if its any good but the price is right.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=95998

David Weaver
10-09-2007, 12:04 PM
I think the wixey is about $39.99, and I've seen it on sale at hartvilletool for $32 in the past, along with a gauge that is identical to the wixey in different colors.

This one looks a little difference, but if it turns out to be OK may be worth considering as it will eventually go on sale there, and it may even be $20 - everything seems to.

Chuck Lenz
10-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Are Harbor Freight tools worth the money? I want the tools I do get to perform decent. Know what I mean???
Thanks for any answers
I never have been a big fan of HF. In most cases you get what you pay for or less with places like that. Waste of money in my opinion.

Bill Ragland
10-09-2007, 12:27 PM
John, I have some HF tools, and so far they work pretty well. I have their 6" jointer #30289, even though it was a pita to set up the base part of it,
the machine makes good smooth cuts for me. I have a few of their other
other items as well (not all are power tools) and they do as well as others I have had in the past. They do have some "gems in the rough" so to speak, but as a general rule their stuff is ok. On the other hand...they do have some smaller items that I call junk and I leave it where it is, so look their stuff over and make your own decision. Best part is...if it fails, take it back...they will replace it no questions asked.

I also have their 6" jointer and after I aligned it properly it has worked fine. I also have their 13" floor model drill press which works well. I purchased their digital protractor, dial gauges and 6" digital calipers. All perform good and have lasted a year now. Oh, and their 2 Hp dust collector keeps my shop clean. They also sell a lot of stuff that's not worth carrying out the door. They have gems (a few) but buyer beware. The good thing about the store is that if you buy something and decide you don't like it you can return it within 30 days for a refund. I think you just have to be picky about what you buy there and realize the level of quality varies dramatically from tool to tool.

julie Graf
10-09-2007, 1:00 PM
i just canceled an order for a sandblaster because it hadn't shown up after 2 weeks - i called to find out what the deal was, and they said it was on backorder until nov. 5.

no call, no e-mail, no notice. i guess they figured i'd just wait. too bad i need to finish the project before nov 5th!

not real happy with the response, and initial lack of communication. if something is backordered, you should notify the customer.

David Weaver
10-09-2007, 1:18 PM
Julie - is the sandblaster not available in the pleasant hills store or the store toward the airport? I haven't been to the new store, but I won't hesitate to go again the next time I need an oddball wrench or something that is only going to get used once.

When I go to HF, I feel like I'm shopping with my grandfather, who grew up in the depression. He always went to stores filled with junk, sifted through it until he found something useful, and then bargained (though I doubt bargaining would go over well there). I feel like I'm on the defensive there looking over everything very carefully, looking for a deal but being careful not to be burned.

Ordering from the catalog is another thing, though. I don't do it.

Bill Huber
10-09-2007, 1:25 PM
I think the wixey is about $39.99, and I've seen it on sale at hartvilletool for $32 in the past, along with a gauge that is identical to the wixey in different colors.

This one looks a little difference, but if it turns out to be OK may be worth considering as it will eventually go on sale there, and it may even be $20 - everything seems to.

David, you are correct, I was thinking of the planer device.
But as you say it will go on sale at some point.

John Callahan
10-09-2007, 2:05 PM
Personally I wouldn't buy a tool from HF that you plugged in or used compressed air based on my own experience. Having said that many have and have had good luck with them. With a little patience you can find PC, DeWalt, Makita, Delta, Milwaukee etc at affordable prices if you're will ing to wait and look. Ebay, garage sales, recon tools, clearance sales.......... it's out there if you're patient enough.