PDA

View Full Version : Crib Hardware

Jeremy Chisholm
10-04-2007, 4:02 PM
Anybody have a source for "hidden" crib hardware? All I can find is the old-style bent-steel-rod type (which SWMBO does not like), and the exposed plastic type (which I can't bring myself to screw to the front of the cherry crib I'm building). Rockler sells both, as do a couple other places, but no hidden hardware. I've seen quite a few commercial designs with "hidden" (fully concealed when assembled) hardware, but internet searches have turned up no sources for just the hardware (plenty of places willing to part with the hardware if you purchase the accompanying sticks of #2 common pine/fir/unknown for at least $400...).

Chris Smith
10-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Hey,

I bought a kit that included the mattress springs from these guys. Really nice quality stuff and when I called they were pretty helpful in deciding what to buy.

http://www.productsamerica.com/page65.html

Darryl deHaan
10-06-2007, 8:02 AM
I too, ordered a hardware kit and mattress spring from Products America. I ordered the "Stealth" kit which is their hidden hardware kit. It took some planning to make it all work but I think it was worth it. I started 3 months before my son was born and as you can see from the first pic, I didnt quite make my deadline:o

Darryl

Jeremy Chisholm
10-06-2007, 1:19 PM
Thanks Guys!

I'm going to order the Stealth kit- good to know you have both had a postive experience with them.

Darryl- my wife really likes the style of your crib- nice job. Ours is going to be similar in style to the bed I built my wife for our wedding, seen here:

I've also been commissioned for a changing table, toy box/bench, and two bookcases for the little guy's room. He's due the end of December, so it looks like I might be posting a similar photo to yours in a few :o

Any tips on the best baby-safe finish?

Guy Belleman
10-06-2007, 5:57 PM
Having refinished a couple of cribs for expecting couples, I find that I don't need a kit, but just some pieces. I have had good luck ordering from:
http://milliondollarbaby.com/parts-select.htm

The parts seem to be interchangeable, so the particular crib model doesn't matter.
Good luck,
Guy

Darryl deHaan
10-06-2007, 8:50 PM
Jeremy,
I was "commisioned" to build a changetable as well. I designed it from scratch to match the crib. Heres what I ended up with. I used waterlox varnish, it has been a while since my research but I think I ended up with waterlox because it was tung based, hence non-toxic. I was concerned about a teething rail on the gate (where if the finish was going to be ingested, it would be here) but as it turns out both my kids got their teeth early... before they could stand, so the rail is still pristine, no teeth marks.

Darryl

Darryl deHaan
10-06-2007, 8:53 PM
Almost forgot,
Nice job on the bed! I especially like the soft finnish and the bookmatched veneer in the insets of the head and foot boards. Nice work.

Darryl

Jeremy Chisholm
10-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Guy,

What parts did you use from Milliondollarbaby.com? Under the "hidden hardware" link, I see three items for "hidden- drawer slides" - is that someting you can use for a crib? The "drawer slide" reference threw me, and there was no pic to visually verify.

Thanks,

JC