PDA

View Full Version : Riving Knife on Moderate $$ Table Saw?

Don Hein
10-04-2007, 2:54 PM
Are there any table saws available in the U.S. around $800-$1200 that are equipped with Riving Knife and 4-inch dust collection?

Bob Lang
10-04-2007, 4:12 PM
If you wait a few months, several manufacturers will have hybrids in that price range equipped with riving knives. At the moment, there is a Bosch job site saw for about $600.

Randal Stevenson
10-04-2007, 6:27 PM
Ryobi made BT clone Craftsman, 21829 has been on sale for $350ish and has a riving knife and a 2 1/2" dust port. Normally sells for $450ish. Been the least expensive model that has had a true riving knife for some time.

Dan Forman
10-05-2007, 4:13 AM
Steele City is coming out with a new model with a riving knife for $1250, and for an extra $50 you can get a granite top and wings! Don't know about the size of the dust port though. Should be available in January.

Dan

Don Hein
10-05-2007, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the replies. I emailed SCTW, receiving a very prompt same-day reply, which tells me SCTW are serious about their customer service/relations. The gist of it is, expect a new model "in the spring," and details will likely appear on the SCTW website simultaneously with publc release.

It seems worth the wait, especially if other mfrs might have riving-knife offerings around the $1k pricepoint by then.

Somewhere recently (maybe via the SawStop website) I read a "factoid" that around 80 percent of table saw injuries were related to kickback. If that's accurate, the riving knife feature is very desirable indeed.

Greg Pavlov
10-06-2007, 11:37 PM
Re SC, take a look at this blurb:

http://www.toologics.com/

Don Hein
10-07-2007, 1:35 AM
That is one beautiful tool. I'll get my granite top engraved, and take it with me. Wife can choose whether she wants to lie under the left-side wing, engraved "Crosscut," or the right-side wing, engraved "RIP."