PDA

View Full Version : Seal A Cell

Glenn Hodges
10-04-2007, 2:35 PM
Does Seal A Cell give a glossy finish? How many coats do you put on a bowl? Is it a type of wiping varnish? I am full of questions today. I have read where some of you use it, but I have not tried it. Where do you buy it?
I appreciate your replies, and help, thanks a bunch.

Neal Addy
10-04-2007, 3:08 PM
Seal-A-Cell by itself does not give a glossy finish without a good buff or other top coat. SAC is more like a shellac in that it will bring out the grain and (slightly) darken the wood. I usually use a single coat of SAC and then follow it with a buff. Depending on the wood I can get a good gloss from the wax buffing.

Arm-R-Seal (another General Finish product) will give you a high-gloss finish with multiple coats. It's a urethane-based product.

Dave Noon
10-04-2007, 8:21 PM
Is SAC the same as Sanding Sealer (e.g. Minwax)?
Thanks,
Dave

Neal Addy
10-04-2007, 8:51 PM
Technically I don't think of it as a sealer per se, but I'm not a finishing guru like others here. SAC is basically an oil/urethane based finish product.

Here's a link: http://www.generalfinishes.com/finishes/oil-base-finishes/oilbase.htm

Bernie Weishapl
10-04-2007, 9:08 PM
Seal-A-Cell is not a sanding sealer and is oil based/poly per General Finishes. I use SAC and then 3 coats Arm-R-Seal over it. Then I buff to a nice finish. It also makes a good finish for food bowls according to General Finishes e-mail I got.

Dave Noon
10-04-2007, 9:51 PM
Thank you Neal & Bernie. I'll have to scour around for a supplier in Canada.
Not sure if some of these finishes can be shipped across the border.
Either that or find an equivalent.
Thanks again,
Dave