PDA

View Full Version : Steel City Dust Collector vs. Jet Dust Collector

Michael M. Chandler
10-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Has anyone had any experience with either of the above companies dust collectors? I'm looking at the 1.5 hp models. I see that Steel City's has a 1 micron filter bag vs. Jet's 2 micron (at best). Should I be considering anything else?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bill Wyko
10-04-2007, 12:29 PM
I recently purchased the JET with the remote control and the 2 micron filter and I'm very happy. It comes on smooth, grabs all the material and dust and the air seems to stay very clean. I also back that up with a JET air filtration system. My shop is small so the room fills up quickly if I don't use these. In addition, when I've had warranty issues with any tools from Jet or Powermatic, they have given me great service. They actually just replaced my powermatic tablesaw no questions asked. I don't have any Steel City tools though so someone else will have to chime in on that one.

Greg Cole
10-04-2007, 1:12 PM
I have the 2HP version of the Jet CK1200 I think, the canister style. No complaints whatsoever. My shop is a 2 car garage & the longest run is only 20'. I removed the factory Y for the connection of two 4" lines and used 6" piping up to drops for each tool, blast gates on all runs at the tool. Honestly, was @ $600 of VERY well spent $.
If you add a floor sweep to your system use a little caution to not sweep anything more than dust into it... neander shavings can be a mess in the impeller housing DAMKIT. I also have a 6 year old boy in my shop quite often and some of his toys have had a quick trip to the dust bag. :cool:

Greg

Cary Falk
10-04-2007, 4:37 PM
Should I be considering anything else?

The Delta 50-760 gets great reviews and comes with 1um bag. That is the one I was going to buy before I stumbled across a used Jet 1100A. The Jet works great but at full price I think the Delta is cheeper with better bags. I don't know anything about the SC DC.

Chuck Hayes
10-04-2007, 4:45 PM
I just bought the SC to replace my 1hp penn state. The difference is amazing and the noise level is good. My only complaint is with the collection at the table saw (CM 22114), but I think that is the fault of the table saw not the DC, I need an overarm guard or sharkguard.

I am currently running 4" flexible ducting about 8'. I will switch to pvc or metal once I am satisfied with the shop layout.

The specs of the SC are comparable to the Delta mentioned and the cost is much less than the Jet.

Dennis Miller
10-04-2007, 4:46 PM
I have the SC 1.5 hp dust collector. I have not used it much yet but I am pleased with the overall fit and finish of the system. I did convert it to 220V and I have to say that the wiring inside is top notch in terms of workmanship. I was enticed by the 5 year warranty and the 1 micron filter bag.

Hunter Wallace
10-04-2007, 6:37 PM
I've got the SC 1.5hp as well, and man, it really sucks!!! :p

The only thing I didn't like was that, with the bottom plastic
chip bag, you can't get the strap tight enough to totally seal
the bag...
solution: Double stick tape and some simple heavy felt from
the, dare I say it...fabric store down the street, taped to the
metal drum, then goes the bag, and then the strap...problem
solved!

Michael M. Chandler
10-04-2007, 10:00 PM
Well, your first line brought me up short. That's what I get for being in a hurry. I'm headed to Denver tomorrow and found a Woodcraft Supply in Salt Lake City that has the SC in stock. If there's time, I'll check it out. Looks like a good price. Happy to hear people like them.

Kirk Poore
10-05-2007, 12:11 AM
I was also shopping for a 1.5 HP dust collector and recently ordered a Delta 50-760 from Rockler (on sale for $300 here). The DC had a smaller footprint so I could wheel it around the shop easier, a one micron bag, and a horizontal blower so I could (theoretically) set up a small trash can separator next to the chip collection bag. The Steel City had the same bag, but otherwise didn't meet up with my needs.

Kirk