PDA

View Full Version : Miter Saw Space

Tom Godley
10-04-2007, 11:11 AM
I am trying to get an idea of the space requirements for a nice miter saw area in my new shop. I have been looking over the forum and also too many back issues of every kind of wood magazine I still keep. Like everything in life, reading more about a subject makes the decision harder!

I do not have a space problem - but I do not want to make the bench/station so big that it ends up always covered with "stuff".

I see myself using it for general woodworking - not framing a house. Over the years I have used many different types of crosscutting saws and I always go bact to my smaller saws for most of my work. I am 48 now, and when I first started the "wood" hobby I used a radial arm saw for all my crosscuts (I do not think "chop" saws were around) - then bought what looks like a small RAS from Sears, then moved to the very nice 8.5 Hatachi. I also had a 10" Dewalt that I bought for building a deck (it sat in the box when I hire someone else to build it - no time!) I eventually used it, but gave it to a friend when I always went back to the others. To be honest I really like the small Sears unit because you pull it towards you -- unlike the others -- I also do not like cutting small stock with a 12" blade!

I do not wish to make this too long -- but I do not want people thinking I am going to be cutting 20' 6x6's.

My ideas:

1. I noticed some with a wood rack above - I can not tell if this is a good idea -- looks like it blocks the area and the light. Not sure How much it would get used ???

2. Having a larger area to the left -- maybe 11' and then 5' to the right. Sound good? --- vs -- centered

3. I think I like having some cabinets under the table vs building a unit that just cantilevers off the wall. I was in a shop years ago that all the lower cabinets hung off the wall but not touching the floor -- made cleaning very nice.

4. How deep should I make it -- some look too deep.

5. I also want to make the unit so I can change the saw -- Not that I plan to -- but, best to plan ahead - need a sturdy mounting area.

6. What to make the top surface out of.

7. In general, do you find it easier to build cabinets (boxes) and then attach them to the wall -- or begin by attaching the top to the wall with a 2x? under it. I was thinking that maybe I should get some skill with building boxes -- I have a few to make this year if I am ever going to get the shop together. This depends on #3.

Thanks for any help - I am sure there are many "Why did/ didn't I do this" out there!

TAG

Grant Morris
10-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Why not put your miter saw onto a mobile stand that you can lock the casters on. That way you can move it to a place that can deal with any size stock you have, and roll it out the way when not in use...

Roy Bennett
10-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Tom, I second Grant's idea - use a mobile stand. I use the Ridgid MSUV (Miter Saw Utility Vehicle) which I bought at Home Depot for ~$100 on sale.:cool:

Dave Sharpe
10-04-2007, 1:19 PM
I have a small (too small really) Ryobi miter saw that I mounted against one wall. I used chip-board that I happened to have around to build a flat counter on either side, about 20' front-to-back, then screwed a straightedged 2x2 as a fence to the back of this. I do have a horizontal lumber rack mounted above, and have noted no problem with this blocking the light. Under the counter I put in a couple of shelves which pretty quickly filled up with cutoff pieces that I just can't seem to get rid of.
A while back I did buy a mobile stand to use off-site, so I lowered the miter saw table enough to accomodate the brackets for this, so I can use the miter saw in the shop as a stationary tool, but remove it easily for use off-site. Were I to do it again I would:
geta bigger miter saw, preferably a sliding compound miter saw.
use hardboard rather than chip-board
use a more reliable straitedge than a 2x2.

Dave

Tom Godley
10-04-2007, 1:29 PM
My idea is to have one set up like a station. To be honest I thought buying a radial saw and make that into a station - but in the end, I thought that a station for a miter saw would do the trick since all the inovation is going that way plus I have two

I want a station set up that I can just go to and cut -- no set up, nothing to move --- I have other saws that I can very quickly set up to cut the once a year strange size. The shop is over 1500sf - so I have the space -- just want to do it once!

Steve Duxbury
10-04-2007, 2:50 PM
Tom,

I'm currently building the attached miter saw workbench. I've made some adjustments (i.e., made it free standing). It's pretty basic...some 2x4s and plywood and you're set.

I've placed my saw off center with capabilities to cut 8' left and 4' right. The miter saw shelf is a few inches shorter than the saw itself. The reason I did that was that it made it easier to adjust the miter angles. I'm also attaching the Kreg precision measuring system.

Hopefully this may give you some ideas.

Steve

http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/17667/

Mike McCann
10-04-2007, 2:52 PM
Tom

Norm Abram built a very nice chop saw station check that out on new yankee workshop.

Grant Morris
10-04-2007, 2:52 PM
Sounds like you have both space and budget. I would install a RAS and a Miter station with that much room.

glenn bradley
10-04-2007, 3:29 PM
I went through the same struggle and never could make up my mind. I bought the Ridgid MSUV as an interim solution. After having it for awhile I am glad I didn't go the built-in route as it suits my needs right now. If I got into something where I used the CMS several times a day, every day I would want to go built-in.

Mick Zelaska
10-04-2007, 4:01 PM
Unlike you, I have a space problem that I solved with the Port-a-Mate HTC work station. My miter saw is attached to the workstation 99% of the time but with extra universal mounts I can take the saw off and mount various bench top equipment in about 30 seconds. I put it on casters so it is out of the way until I need it. I even has electric outlets. Port-a-Mate stand is solid and can be folded up and moved offsite if needed.

http://www.htcproductsinc.com/mswc.html

Bob Feeser
10-04-2007, 5:41 PM
After looking at all of the options, for me with a 725sq ft shop, I opted for the Rousseau 2875XL Miter Saw Stand. It's small and portable when the wings are folded down, and about 90 inches across when spread out. (Don't quote me on the 90, you can read my review, actually the 2 top reviews on Amazon about it here (http://www.amazon.com/Rousseau-2875XL-Miter-Saw-Stand/dp/B0000224QY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-2095823-0347825?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1191533307&sr=8-1). The second one they published because it is about making sure you choose the right size/model )

The alternatives: Having a permanent station with all of the space you have is a nice idea. My advice is to be sure and put a measuring system with a stop, for accurate repeat cuts. I like the post with the workbench underneath the one side too. Why waste the space?

The portable stands with the rollers, are handy for portability, but the portablity advantage is offset by having to keep readjusting the rollers, depending on how long the stock is, and the accuracy of their height is something to continually tweak. For onsite work they are very good.

My review on the Rousseau goes into more detail than you may care to read, but essentially, I like it because it is so beefy, you can toss 2x12's on it no problem, or use it for light trim very accurately. It's heavy at 92 pounds not counting the saw, and not meant to be portable. (The wheels are something like 2 1/2" so they are not meant to go up steps etc.) Secondly it is so darn accurate. You can adjust it to get it true to the workpiece, and the tape measure guide, and stop system is adjustable and accurate as well. You can use the measuring system and stop system for cuts up to 84" out one side to the blade, and yet the stand when folded down is only 36" across. The roll around feet are lockable, and do a very good job of it. Once locked down, it doesn't move on you.

Swinging out the arms is a joke. They extend, then when fully extended they have a pop out pin that fits into a hole. It is spring loaded, so it pops out automatically. When lowering, you just push in the pin, and it drops right down.
I'm getting wordy again. To summarize, a dedicated station is nice, and I guess I don't have to mention the other one.... don't want to wear it out. :) I have to add, the Rousseau unit is a bit pricey at $369 though. Their customer service is 2nd to none. I had received one where the weld on one of the cross braces was slightly raised, affecting the height of the square tube, and Rousseau sent me a replacement wing right away, no charge. (Now I have to figure out what to do what an extra wing with a slightly raised tube:confused: )
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/416K0CYWPVL._SS400_.jpg

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/418MHV645ZL._SS400_.jpg

Tom Godley
10-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Boy that rousseau looks like a nice unit - I bought a cheap unit from grizzly a few years back but gave it to the same guy that now has my Dewalt. I felt it was just as easy to use a workmate and and some horses.

The set up that norm has on TOH looks to be quite good.