PDA

View Full Version : Twists

Frank Kobilsek
10-04-2007, 8:58 AM
Good Morning

These are 2 of the first 5 twisted flute pieces I have created. LOML 'redistributed' the others before I got pictures. I first saw Stuart Mortimer twisting demo at the NC Mountain woodturners club last June. It took me more than a year to try. I don't follow Stuart's rules but I must credit him for inspiration.

The first is a cherry bowl/openform (whatever) shows a little sap wood. 5.7D X 3

The second is walnut with 4 different flute pitches. This piece also features a ebonized maple collar. 7.5D X 6

Big show this weekend and you guys are always encouraging so I figured I should post something.

Frank

Ken Fitzgerald
10-04-2007, 9:18 AM
Frank......If those don't sell, you really need to find a different market place. Of course, I know those mid-west farmers are penny pinchers but still......Those are beautiful! Is there a book I can buy that illustrates how to do that?

George Guadiane
10-04-2007, 9:21 AM
I like the rotational effect of the fluting, personally, I am big on a sense of motion.
I like the forms and finish, especially how the fluting terminates so crisply.
Good luck at the show, although if the rest of your work is as nice as these, and you are priced "right" for the market, you shouldn't need luck!

Dave Carey
10-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Frank,
Way cool! I'll be more direct (blunt) than Ken - how'd you do that? It would make a great tutorial. Good luck at the show; you've got a winner (two actually.)

Bernie Weishapl
10-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Frank those are beautiful. Wow I really like those.

Frank Kobilsek
10-04-2007, 11:38 AM
You guys are the best. Bad day in the office and I can always find a little cheer up here. I have another new design/series of pieces I have new picts of but I think I'll save them until the boss is goofy next week.

Ken, next time you visit the mother in law stop by ... we'll make one.

Dave, I think its easy once you get the picture in your head that its really just a straight line. Here is the quick version.
1) equally divide the OD of the piece using your indexing head or the paper ruler method, and strike pencil lines from top to bottom of the piece.
2) use a piece of heavy paper as your straight edge to connect one the bottom of one of the index lines to the top of another. The more spaces you skip the steeper the twist. Now your done with layout.
3) Use a V chisel to carefully carve on the twist line. Make a couple passes but don't go to deep at the bottom of the vessel. Do one then the next to keep the depth as consistent as possible.
4) Go to the hardware store and buy every size round bastard file they have.
5) Start with the smallest file and using the chisel 'ditch' as a guide starting filing out the flute.
6) Next size bastard file or rasp keep filing until they all match and you are happy with depth.
7) Wrap sandpaper around the largest file used and sand.

Just be careful to stay in the 'ditch' so you don't spoil the surface outside the flute. Do the same operation to each flute this will help you stay consistent, in other words count your strokes witht he file. So 1, 2, 3 strokes then the next flute 1, 2, 3, next and so on. The first piece you'll think you'll never get done. They get much faster after that.

Next one I'll take some picts, Thanks for the encouragement.

Frank

Pete Jordan
10-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Wow Frank!

Those are amazing! I like everthing about them1

Steve Schlumpf
10-04-2007, 12:04 PM
Very impressive Frank! Absolutely beautiful work! Have to agree with Ken - if those don't sell immediately - there's something wrong with the market! Best of luck to you at the show and looking forward to seeing the new design!

Brodie Brickey
10-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Frank,

Very nice. The twists look great and complement the forms very well.

TYLER WOOD
10-04-2007, 12:10 PM
I love the pieces, They look great.

Brett Baldwin
10-04-2007, 2:39 PM
Very nice effect Frank.

Terry Quiram
10-04-2007, 3:04 PM
Frank

Those are great. Nice explaination on how to do them. Where is the show, Rockford?

Terry

Frank Kobilsek
10-04-2007, 4:05 PM
Terry,
Galena, in Grant Park

They promise 15 - 20,000 visitors. This is the highest $ entry fee show I have tried.

Worse come to worse, I suspect I will have a couple of nice dinners with my sexy helper. She really enjoys sitting in the lawn chair watching chat up folks, then she gets in a good nap or two or reads a book. She hates my not so easy up tent.

Frank

Ed Scolforo
10-04-2007, 4:07 PM
Those are two very attractive bowls, Frank. You should have no problem selling.

Robert McGowen
10-04-2007, 4:10 PM
Very nice Frank. I REALLY like the one with the collar. Thanks for the explanation on how you did it.

charlie knighton
10-04-2007, 4:32 PM
very nice and thanks for the information on how:D

Mike Golka
10-04-2007, 5:50 PM
Great looking stuff, once I get a little more experiance under my belt I dying to try some of the things I see here.

Dennis Peacock
10-04-2007, 6:33 PM
Outstanding work and a nice "twist" on those bowls. Great creativity idea. ;)

Bill Wyko
10-04-2007, 6:54 PM
Great job Frank. That's a nice touch. What's the secret?

Pat Doble
10-04-2007, 9:28 PM
Wow, stunning pieces Frank. I really like the recessed collar on the walnut piece and the overall form of the cherry one.

Good luck with the show.

Glenn Hodges
10-05-2007, 9:07 AM
This is what SC is all about, people helping people, and you did a great job. Thanks for sharing this info with us as well as pictures of these beautiful pieces.

Dave Carey
10-06-2007, 9:44 AM
Frank,
A belated thanks for the tutorial. Gotta try this (that is add it to the list of other "gotta trys!") Look forward for the next time the boss stresses you out! Cheers, Dave

Jim Kountz
10-06-2007, 6:03 PM
Man those are really amazing, I have such a long way to go its just not even funny anymore!! LOL

Grant Wilkinson
10-06-2007, 8:41 PM
Those are both very fine, indeed, Frank. If I had to choose, the second one would get my vote.

Tom Sherman
10-07-2007, 5:19 PM
Very nice pieces Frank.

Frank Kobilsek
10-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks again to all for the comments. The Walnut piece sold over the weekend to a great lady at my show. The Cherry piece came home.

I did pretty well at the event which was by far the largest and best attended show I've done. Still a little 'crafty' to get best prices but several large pieces found new homes. I did pick up a couple leads on commission jobs and a commercial job that seems to have good potential.

While my revenue was 3 times any past show I have done expenses were very high for this event so my net was about the same as the smaller local events. That Masters of Bussiness I got keeps tarnishing the excitement I should have for the envelope of money I need to take to the bank.

Tommorrow I have business in Memphis so I get to visit my Creeker friend Keith Burns and this weekend is Ohio Turning Symposium that I'll be draging my Dad along to, so October is turning into a big Abyss month for me. Talk to you all next week.

Frank