PDA

View Full Version : T9 ???????

Greg Dykes
10-04-2007, 12:14 AM
I have been using paste wax on all my CI surfaces with so so results. My shop/garage does not have conditioned air and here in Florida the humidity is high which leads to a lot of sweating. I have read in several post that a lot of you guys use T9. What exactly is this? Where can I fnd it? What is the cost? will someone come apply it for me while I watch?

Shannon Vincent
10-04-2007, 3:21 AM
Its called Boeshield T-9 see: http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=984 .I'm in Memphis,which is also pretty humid,it(Boeshield)works pretty good,but I also use paste wax on top of it.But if sweat drips on my tablesaw top and I miss it,it still leaves a slight rust spot.Hope this helps.:D

harry strasil
10-04-2007, 3:43 AM
Use a good automotive car wax, several coats. An occassional dusting with Pledge will make it almost friction free.

David G Baker
10-04-2007, 7:48 AM
Automotive car wax may contain silicone that might transfer to the wood you are working on. I have used it in the past when I wasn't using my tools for fine wood. I didn't know about the silicone issue and did not experience any problems that I know of.

scott spencer
10-04-2007, 8:24 AM
I've had improved results using T-9 and paste wax vs just paste wax. Apply a light coating of T9, wipe it down, let it dry for several hours, buff it, then apply a couple of coats of paste wax.

Wood Mag ran some tests a couple of years ago, and found T9 to be the best rust preventive in their test.

Al Willits
10-04-2007, 8:25 AM
Send the wife and I a couple of plane tickets about January or February and I'd be glad to come down and apply it for ya...:)

I'm finding there's plenty of good stuff to coat/clean with, Johnson's floor wax works well and is cheap.
I've also got several different kinds of cleaner, protectant from Woodcraft and Rockers and they all seem to work well, I'm working my way though a couple of the Topsaver cleaners from Woodcraft and they seem to be pretty easy to use and work well from me, spray on, let dry and wipe off.
Easier than the paste wax, but more expensive.
And WD-40 and a scotchbrite is still my favorite to take stubborn rust spots off if needed.

Al....who'll be waiting for them tickets....:D

Eddie Darby
10-04-2007, 8:48 AM
I use T-9 and then I put a coat of BostikTop Coat on afterwards. Does a nice job.

What is it?

" The formulation, based on a unique combination of solvents and waxes, is designed to penetrate metal pores and dissolve minor corrosion, then leave a resilient waxy coating that lasts for many months."

From this site:

http://boeshield.com/index.htm

Top Coat at Lee Valley:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=40952&cat=1,43415,43440

Allen Bookout
10-04-2007, 9:04 AM
Greg,

My Home Depot and West Marine both have Boeshield T9. Being in Florida as we are it is not very hard to find.

Howard Acheson
10-04-2007, 3:28 PM
Use a good automotive car wax, several coats. An occassional dusting with Pledge will make it almost friction free.

There are two issues with automotive paste wax. One is that most are emulsified with water to make them easier to spread. In other words you are adding moisture to the cast iron. Not good. Second is that many auto waxes contain silicone which can lead to finishing problem.

The issue with Pledge and some other supermarket furniture cleaner/polishes is that they contain a high percentage of silicone.

I'd recommend staying away from both when there are furniture waxes that work well and Boeshield T9 which out performed all waxes and other topcoats in a test conducted by Wood Magazine.

John Stevens
10-04-2007, 4:22 PM
The issue with Pledge and some other supermarket furniture cleaner/polishes is that they contain a high percentage of silicone.

Is it silicone or silica? I was told that Pledge contained silica to function as a mild abrasive. I had never heard that it contained silicone. What function would silicone serve in a cleaner-polish? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

John

scott spencer
10-04-2007, 4:33 PM
Is it silicone or silica? I was told that Pledge contained silica to function as a mild abrasive. I had never heard that it contained silicone. What function would silicone serve in a cleaner-polish? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

John

Based on the way our dining room floor feels after my wife dusts the table, I'd wager that it contains silicone! :eek:

Mark Gordon
10-04-2007, 5:18 PM
If your in Florida, Rust happens, I find that if I apply T-9, I just don't get rust, Ever!

I'm in Tampa, and I tried wax, topcoat, and just about everything else. I actually had surface rust forming in 24 hours!!!!

Then someone of this forum sent me a mag test where the Boeshield outperformed everything else by about 10 times. I ordered it (internet) and sprayed it on- Two years, no rust. I wax because I like shining my iron, but there is no need.

Also, if your are going to store machines for a while, the secret is to spray T9 on thick, rub it around and DON'T wipe it off. It'll store for years, and then you re-spray T-9 and rub the old stuff off.

Bill Brehme
10-04-2007, 9:27 PM
I feel your pain brother...:( I also work in an open air (screened window) Florida shop (sauna) and am currently in experimentation w/ rust stoppers for my CI jointer top. I've tried Johnson's paste wax 1st, one bead of sweat went straight through that. I havent tried the T-9 on the cast iron yet, though I've been using it on my moving parts - hinges, vise screw/slider, TS arbor etc... Lately I am experimenting w/ Renaissasce wax, so far so good (although I cant seem to get a good mirror finish w/ all the moisture in the air/cloth). I got my T-9 at Sears in Daytona.

Randy Denby
10-04-2007, 9:37 PM
I use the boeshield and it does really well. But spring and fall will test its limits. With cool/colder nights and warmer days. The machines being cooler than the surrounding shop in the morning, makes 'em sweat ...if only just a little sometimes. So , if you can use a dehumidifier, it will help.....or insulate , so that the ambient temp rises very gradually.