PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Help Please! Delta JT360

Irvin Cooper
10-03-2007, 11:41 PM
Good evening all.

i have a delta jt360 6" jointer. I had the blades sharpened and reinstalled them yesterday. All of my edging is now concave. I have adjusted and readjusted the blade height after scouring through the manual 20 times to see if there is something I missed, and am still getting the same result.

After doing some searches on smc last night to see what i was doing wrong, I have gone thru the process to raise and/or lower the outfeed table by loosening the thumb screw and turning the handle underneath the outfeed table, but the outfeed table itself doesnt budge.

This is going from bad to worse, with no real apparent solution.

Has anyone had these issues with this model, and in particular does anyone know how to get the dang outfeed table to adjust beyond simply loosening the thumbscrew and turning the handle like the manual says?

Thank you in advance.

A very perplexed....

Irv

George Carion
10-04-2007, 12:58 AM
I have the same jointer. The outfeed table on mine is VERY difficult to move. It takes two hands and a good deal of force to turn the knob underneath to get it to move. So much so that I've always wondered if I was missing some sort locking mechanism even after I loosen that thumbscrew.

Irvin Cooper
10-04-2007, 1:12 PM
George,

Thank you for the reply. This at least moves me toward confirmation that I am not missing some major step. Just need a bigger hammer....

George Carion
10-04-2007, 2:19 PM
I was going to mention trying a 5lb sledge hammer, but I didn't want you to take me seriously :D.

Chris Gombola
10-04-2007, 4:27 PM
New here, been lurking but I thought I'd chime in. I just went through this process with my JT360 over the weekend. The outfeed will move easily if you take an hex wrench and loosen the gibs on the back side of the outfeed. This lets the table slide in the dovetails quite easily. Once you get it lined up, you can turn the thumb screw to set it and then tighten the gibs. Once tightened, it shouldn't move much at all with the other mechanisms. There are instructions in the manual. If you don't have the original, here's a softcopy: http://www.gombola.com/

See page 16.

Irvin Cooper
10-04-2007, 8:00 PM
New here, been lurking but I thought I'd chime in. I just went through this process with my JT360 over the weekend. The outfeed will move easily if you take an hex wrench and loosen the gibs on the back side of the outfeed. This lets the table slide in the dovetails quite easily. Once you get it lined up, you can turn the thumb screw to set it and then tighten the gibs. Once tightened, it shouldn't move much at all with the other mechanisms. There are instructions in the manual. If you don't have the original, here's a softcopy: http://www.gombola.com/

See page 16.

Chris,

This procedure is not included in my manual. Perhaps my 360 is older than yours, or perhaps the manual was written south of the border....

either way, do you totally remove the gibs or simply loosen them?

Thanks.

Irv

Chris Gombola
10-04-2007, 8:40 PM
Irvin,
loosen the lock nut around the gib and then loosen the gib a turn or so, you shouldn't need to take them all the way out, just enough to be able to move the table with the wheel underneath. Once you get it lined up, tighten the thumb screw and cinch down the gibs, recheck your alignment and proceed.

I also picked up the Oneway Multi-gage for aligning the knives and it works very well for me. I didn't want to mess around with boards/glass/magnets, this sped up the process. Sorry, I digress.

Irvin Cooper
10-04-2007, 9:04 PM
Ok. Still no luck. Have tried all of the above. Two options are now to A) adjust the blades (again), or B) get the sledge hammer and a "caul" :>.

All of a sudden, my day job doesnt seem so bad...

Irvin Cooper
10-04-2007, 10:04 PM
... if you take an hex wrench and loosen the gibs on the back side of the outfeed. This lets the table slide in the dovetails quite easily..

I missed this part of the statement and am now sitting here feeling quite stupid. When you said hex wrench, i was thinking open-ended wrench on the nut. Got to looking and realized you were referring to what we call an allen-wrench.....

Loosened them up and the thing slid right along!

Thank you!!!

Irv

Chris Gombola
10-04-2007, 10:15 PM
If I understand your problem correctly, I don't think the blade height will correct it. IF it's the same problem I had. I was experiencing the same concave results. I found that, after dragging the tool around the shop a few times without a mobile base, the outfeed table sagged at the far end, thus causing my concavity. I started with the infeed table and brought it as flat as the dovetails would allow, still not good (using two starrett squares facing each other in the center). I then loosened my outfeed and brought it into square with the infeed.

If your outfeed is sagging, the knives can be dead flat with the table and it will still cause problems. Here's a good tutorial, I used it to get started. The picture shows what I'm trying to describe. http://woodworking.homeip.net/wood/Tuning%20Tools/Jointers/Step%201.html

Chris Gombola
10-04-2007, 10:16 PM
oops, sorry about that! I don't know where I picked that up, I call em allen wrenches too.

Bill Brehme
10-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Did you loosen the gib? And you still couldn't move up/down?
I initially had this problem, but once I loosened the gib it seemed to free up the adjustment knob some... but I still had to assist the outfeed table by lifting on the edge while turning the knob. Also I wouldn't go nuts turning the gib screw too much (keep track of how many turns so you can put it back).;)