PDA

View Full Version : If I had a million dollars.....?????

Dick Strauss
10-03-2007, 11:39 PM
I'd buy me a lathe, but not any old lathe.

Did Brian see this old Oliver yet? I think he is still drooling too much to type. I think Jim King got this guys little baby shipped to Peru. Here are the specs for the beast...

8 foot long toolrest
8 foot swing
16 speeds
103"x112" footprint
8000 lbs

Search on E-place for "Oliver lathe" for the pics.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-03-2007, 11:45 PM
Dick.....even if you had a million dollars....you'd never be able to buy all the "accessories" you'd want.....It's the Vortex!:D

Gordon Seto
10-03-2007, 11:58 PM
I'll hire some turning assistants to mount / unmount the blank, move the 8' toolrest, and sanding. Otherwise, it sounds hard labor using that lathe.

Gordon

Dick Strauss
10-04-2007, 12:03 AM
No, but I'd have so many accessories that the paramedics would find me covered in tools and sawdust with a perma-grin painted on my face.

Harvey M. Taylor
10-04-2007, 3:02 AM
I would have the only chrome-plated PM3520b lathe on this planet.

George Guadiane
10-04-2007, 9:24 AM
I would have the only chrome-plated PM3520b lathe on this planet.
I didn't know there was such a thing as yellow chrome (and I don't think the color actually comes off :eek: )

Brian Weick
10-04-2007, 6:11 PM
I'd buy me a lathe, but not any old lathe.

Did Brian see this old Oliver yet? I think he is still drooling too much to type. I think Jim King got this guys little baby shipped to Peru. Here are the specs for the beast...

8 foot long toolrest - (carriage bed)
8 foot swing ( if you create a well in the floor you could turn up to 12' )
16 speeds
103"X 112 " footprint
8000 lbs

Search on E-place for "Oliver lathe" for the pics.

Yes Dick ~ I saw Jim's post on her , however my saliva spill over got all over my keyboards and I have had to put some plastic over the keyboard in order to correct my major malfunction with these machines :D .
There is no way I would be able to put that in my shop- I think it would go write through the floor! I have a Friend that has an Oliver 22 0n 12" thick concrete and re bar flooring in a old industrial building and I have turned on it a few times. The very first time I did ~ it was a little intimidating turning on the lathe because of the size projects created on it, and it is truly a great lathe ~ the cost to have that replaced $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, new $68,000 - $72,000 although- there going for peanuts now $5000 - $10,000. It is a bargain at those prices- that's for sure. I believe that the CNC lathes are replacing most of the vertical face plate lathes , the CNC's cut the material face down - horizontal rather than upright.
I am still waiting for the updates on Jim's lathe ~ we probably won't hear much on his lathe for a little while. I think he is getting everything together currently and I am sure he will keep us posted. I did the same thing - there is a lot of work involved with something like that ~ If he is restoring/refurbishing the entire lathe and all the tools and parts that go with it ~ well just have to wait.

Brian

Dennis Peacock
10-04-2007, 6:27 PM
No, but I'd have so many accessories that the paramedics would find me covered in tools and sawdust with a perma-grin painted on my face.

Now...I like that.......covered in tools and sawdust with a perma-grin on my face......Yea......I like that. :D :D