PDA

View Full Version : He shoots, he scoooooooores....

Pat Doble
10-03-2007, 10:48 PM
OK, by taking their ratings and extrapolating with how many SMC members there are, I have a question:

Who is the one other NHL fan here ??? :)

Nothing like being there (I don't get to attend a game until next week), but games in HD sure do look good...

Randy Denby
10-03-2007, 10:52 PM
I tried ! I really did....my buddy tried (Big Try) to explain the rules, I just couldnt get it. So, my buddy (who's a woodworker but not a member here) is a fan.....does that count?:D

Peter Stahl
10-03-2007, 11:00 PM
I watch as many games as I get a chance to. I'd rather watch them at home on the the big HD screen then be there in person. Can't wait till our season starts.

Andy Hoyt
10-03-2007, 11:02 PM
Phhhwweeeeeet!

Asking that kind of question here is a two line pass.

Nancy Laird
10-03-2007, 11:08 PM
What's the NHL????? :confused: :D

Yeah, I do know what it is--the National Hurt-the-Other-Guy League. The only hockey game I've ever watched - and didn't understand - was the 1980 Olympic semi when the US beat the USSR team. Didn't know what was going on then, and still don't know.

Nancy (79 days)

Joe Pelonio
10-03-2007, 11:08 PM
I went to San Jose games when we lived down there, of course here there's no team. To me it's just not a sport that translates well to TV.

Alex Berkovsky
10-04-2007, 8:04 AM
Asking that kind of question here is a two line pass.I am glad that's no longer in the rule book. ;)

What's the NHL????? :confused: :D

Yeah, I do know what it is--the National Hurt-the-Other-Guy League.No less than in any other major pro sport.

It's hockey season again!!! Reminds me why I hate summers.

Mario Lucchesi
10-04-2007, 9:06 AM
I love Hockey, I have played, coached and even ref'ed since I was very young. I am a WINGS fan, They won in a shootout last night!!

Greg Cole
10-04-2007, 9:50 AM
Hi Pat,
Ya found another HUGE hockey fan here. Growing up in New England (less than an hour from Canada eh), hockey is popular. Transplant me to Kansas City and most folks here have no clue hockey is played on ice... it's football, football & ummm football, ugh.
I have been living off the Center Ice package for years now.... as hockey is the one thing that can get me to sit in front of the boob tube for any length of time. I've seen games in 10 cities in the US (Saint Louis, Detroit, San Jose, Phoenix, Boston, Atlanta, Chicago, NYC, Denver & Tampa) and also Montreal. Any hockey is good hockey, but if it's Detroit it's better! :D
There are some Creekers from north of the border whom you can all but guarantee are full fledged puckheads too.

Cheers,
Greg

Kyle Kraft
10-04-2007, 11:50 AM
I enjoy attending our local Kalamazoo Wings games, but I don't follow the team avidly or even know who the coach is. I just like the energy of the game and the crowd...and of course when they peel the opponents bucket and make him spit Chiclets!!!!

Darren Ford
10-04-2007, 12:16 PM
I used to love going to minor league games, it was like a streetfight on ice! I went to one NHL game last year (Predators vs Redwings), but hope to see more this year. I can't stand to watch it on TV though.

Ted Calver
10-04-2007, 12:21 PM
I used to be a big fan, but the unrestrained fisticuffs turned me off. Anybody that did that stuff off the ice would be in jail. That's not the kind of role model I want my kids watching in any sport.

Ron Journeau
10-04-2007, 8:52 PM
Poor me...I sometimes get paid to sit in the Bell Center (home of the Montreal Canadiens) and watch the game from the zamboni parking spot..thats where we bring in our ambulance to scrape them off the ice.:p

Pat Doble
10-04-2007, 10:38 PM
I think here in Minny we just keep the hose on and ice over 'em.

Art Mulder
10-05-2007, 7:47 AM
Atypical male here...

Never understood the reason why guys spend hours on end watching Hockey. (Or football, or basketball, or...)

What is the point, really?

Why? Why should I care? Are any of the players friends or relatives or neighbours of mine? Are any of them even from the town that I live in? I don't play the game, so I can't claim professional interest.

It's always been a mystery to me.

Don't even get me started on boxing :rolleyes:

Alex Berkovsky
10-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Atypical male here...

Never understood the reason why guys spend hours on end watching Hockey.
Art,
Are you sure you're Canadian? :D

TYLER WOOD
10-05-2007, 5:20 PM
Go STARS GO!!!

Yup Hockey fan in Texas!!! We lost our team this year. First time in 5 years I will not be able to see a game in person:mad:

Brian Weick
10-05-2007, 5:49 PM
My team ~ The Sabers are playing tonight- first game of the season - without Drury and Brier-(for those that know) ouch! Hey- but - I have a positive outlook for the team, not to mention we have MR Hockey ~ Harry Kneel from Canada as an assistant announcer with Rich generate ~ Mr. swallow the Mic excitement ~ I love that guy- it doesn't get any better with them combined. Sorry ~ I am a little biased ~ It's a NY thing:D
Brian

Fred LeBail
10-05-2007, 5:59 PM
Hey Ron, what you are probably scraping off the ice is a Hab player with my Leafs blue sweater all over him !!!!

Tony Zaffuto
10-05-2007, 6:21 PM
Well I got season tickets for the Penquins. Does that qualify me as a fan?

Greg Funk
10-05-2007, 6:58 PM
I used to be a big fan, but the unrestrained fisticuffs turned me off. Anybody that did that stuff off the ice would be in jail. That's not the kind of role model I want my kids watching in any sport.
There are a lot fewer criminals in the NHL than the NBA or NFL. The fighting is between two consenting adults so it isn't any different than boxing in that respect. Boys/men have been fighting for years...

Greg

Ron Journeau
10-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Sorry Fred, I won't bite..I go because I get paid to go, would never spend money to watch a bunch of overpaid guys playing a kids game for money.... and yes, I tend to think that Toronto needs all the loyal fans they can find..so be brave, and wave the blue!!:p

Pat Doble
10-05-2007, 11:40 PM

Considering the player with the most 'fighting' penalties had 18 last year (in a 82 game season), fighting is not nearly as prevalent as it once was. It actually serves a pretty good purpose in giving an outlet (between two players that both agree to fight) to get tension between the teams released and not taken out elsewhere (though there is always one or two idiots a year, that usually don't belong in the league anyway, that do something that should get them a lifetime suspension - see Simon and May)

I don't think hockey is near as violent as the NFL is.

Pat Doble
10-05-2007, 11:46 PM

If not a fan, then one happy S*B. Getting to see Sidney and Malkin all the time can't be all that bad. Of course if you had tickets pre-lockout, you've done your pennance and deserve every good game you get now:D .

I need the Wild to have a great season this year since they have some major contributors (Demitra, Rolston, Bouchard...) hitting the market next year.

Tony Zaffuto
10-06-2007, 7:35 AM
I was in a group of guys that had tickets for 4 or 5 years after the Stanley Cup win. I got away from going for a few years and got interested again last year and bought all the play-off tickets. Unfortunately there were only two home games before the Pens were eliminated and I didn't make either (I had a happy daughter and her boyfriend who did, though).

I kinda liked the Civic/Mellon Arena and wanted to see a few games before it is torn down and with the "new" team, I bought a couple of season tickets, plus membership to the Igloo Club for before the game and during intermissions (this time I'm the only purchaser of the tickets). Tonight is the home opener, and me and my 7 year old SWMB-ette will be there:).

Problem is, we live some 115 miles from Pittsburgh so those seats may be vacant for a few games should the weather be real nasty this winter!

Matt Chantry
10-06-2007, 11:06 PM
What did I read the other day - the Cincinnati Bengals had 7 or 8 players arrested last year? I'd say a few punches thrown between opponents is a lot less of a problem.

I played hockey for most of my life. Finally had to quit because of neck and back injuries - caused by being hit from behind when I had my arm against the boards.

Players don't get injured from fights. It's the boarding, high sticking, elbows, and other actions like Simon, May, Bertuzzi, and Downie that are career-ending and have multiplied since the NHL cracked down on fighting.

Considering the player with the most 'fighting' penalties had 18 last year (in a 82 game season), fighting is not nearly as prevalent as it once was. It actually serves a pretty good purpose in giving an outlet (between two players that both agree to fight) to get tension between the teams released and not taken out elsewhere (though there is always one or two idiots a year, that usually don't belong in the league anyway, that do something that should get them a lifetime suspension - see Simon and May)

I don't think hockey is near as violent as the NFL is.

Jay MacDougall
10-09-2007, 3:35 PM

That makes you a lucky fan, Go Pens!!