PDA

View Full Version : Wixey and 15" planers

Randy Denby
10-03-2007, 10:20 PM
I bought a Wixey digital planer gauge about a year ago. I was planning on adapting this Lunch Box version to my 15" planer at the time.Of course, this is gonna involve making some angle iron adaptors and drilling/tapping the cast iron .Only problem is , I havent made the time to do this and was wondering if anyone has seen this done ? If so, it would sure save me some time trying to engineer this from scratch. I just looked up Wixeys' website and the link was broken to the planer page...so maybe they've already addressed this? Appreciate any pics are advise!

Bryan Cowing
10-04-2007, 5:55 AM
I just bought one and put it on my 20" Taiwanese planer. I used some .91 thous Aluminum, cut and bends easily to make brackets. I think I will redo the mounting and lower it to prevent catching the top of the Wixey . Come spring they should have a new model out with a tilted up face. I will get that one and move this one to the drum sander. I mounted my brackets where the pointer and ruler used to be. Attachments to the planer have to be the reverse of a lunch box planer.

Al Willits
10-04-2007, 8:53 AM
Tried one on my 15" Yorkcraft planer and never really felt it was accurate enough, unit was, but there was flex in the mount I made and I used 1/8" alum.
I might have made a better mount, but I also figured it was just a matter of time before I ran a board into it as its close to the inlet of the planer, so I took it off.

Al

Randy Denby
10-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks guys . Al , thats kind of what I was thinking. Its going to be awful close to the business end and the wixey is a fairly lightweight design. By the time I build a shield...I wont be able to see it very well......oh well, I guess the embedded ruler has worked good enough so far.Anyone want to buy a wixey?:(