PDA

View Full Version : A Firewood Bowl

Bud Duffy
02-04-2004, 9:22 AM
This is a bowl i made out of a piece of juniper i pulled out of the firewood pile it is 6inches by about 3inches finish is one coat of tounge oil

Kent Cori
02-04-2004, 10:00 AM
Bud,

Geez, I wish my wood pile was as nice as yours. That bowl is top notch.

John Miliunas
02-04-2004, 10:02 AM
...And you were going to BURN that?! :D Nice job, Bud. Never worked Juniper. Does it turn easily or is it a million trips to the grinder? :cool:

Bud Duffy
02-04-2004, 10:25 AM
John when it is green it is heavy and soft and when it dries it is fairly hard for a conifer and unbeliavibly light when LOML picked up this bowl she said it was plastic i told her it was juniper she still dosnt believe me. Its not that bad as far as having to resharpen all the time but what drives me nuts is the little spots that just will not sand out if you look close you can see several they are real white. Thanks for looking Bud

John Miliunas
02-04-2004, 10:38 AM
Its not that bad as far as having to resharpen all the time but what drives me nuts is the little spots that just will not sand out if you look close you can see several they are real white. Thanks for looking Bud

Hmmm..Wonder if the same method as is used on Walnut wouldn't help in getting those spots sanded out. That is, apply some mineral oil liberally to the piece while going through the grits. Maybe? :cool:

Chris Padilla
02-04-2004, 11:10 AM
Gorgeous!

I will not be a turner...I will not be a turner...no room for a lathe...no money left for a lathe and its compartment of tools...I will not be a turner....

:D

John Miliunas
02-04-2004, 11:31 AM
Gorgeous!

I will not be a turner...I will not be a turner...no room for a lathe...no money left for a lathe and its compartment of tools...I will not be a turner....

Chris, read my lips: Y-E-S you W-I-L-L!!! You will pick up one of the many mini's and start turning pens. Then a nice small block of wood will stumble to your feet and you'll mount it on that little lathe. And after you pull that first little bowl off your lathe, you WILL be looking at additional chisels and chucks and THEN you will say, "Ah, what the heck. I might as well just get a bigger lathe.", and then you will carefully reposition stuff in your shop for the bigger lathe. And then, the chisels and chucks and faceplates will come. You will never look at a woodpile, downed tree or chainsaw the same way again. Many before you have spoken your words and those words now lie in the shavings below their lathes! It is, after all, written, "You WILL be assimilated!" :cool:

Don Farr
02-04-2004, 12:00 PM
Yup John, That is just about the way it happened to me. I did crank up the TS last night-----to cut pen blanks. :confused:

Nice job on the bowl, Bud.

Fred Voorhees
02-04-2004, 7:02 PM
Personally, I'm still waiting for that to hit me. Yeah, I've got a lathe in my shop (wouldn't you know it - it's one of Beckers old ones :p ) but I have yet to decide to devote the correct amount of needed ching to get up and running with turning. There has always been some other shop "toy" that has beckoned. Heck, between the chisels, the grinding wheel set up and the sharpening systems out there, it will be a small pile to dedicate to the start up, but I must admit, I know that I will jump into it when I do.

Fred

Terry Quiram
02-04-2004, 9:50 PM
Chris

The lathe is the cheap part. Its everything that goes with it that kicks your butt!

Still gettin my butt kicked.
Terry

Michael Ballent
02-05-2004, 4:33 PM
I will be a turner, I want to be a turner, just no space for the lathe and all the toys associated with them... I do look at the firewood pile and wish I could turn them into something nice... I am even collecting business cards of tree removal services for the day I can call them and get some wood :D

Some Day :rolleyes:

-Michael

Gorgeous!

Julie Wright
02-05-2004, 9:11 PM
Very Nice looking Piece of Fire Wood. I wish my firewood looked like that.