PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Shows

Lou Morrissette
10-03-2007, 5:45 PM
Has anybody been to the Consumer Woodworking Expos in Knoxville, TN or Pittsburg, Pa? Are they worthwile or are they just a limited trade show for Delta/Porter Cable/ DeWalt? We have one coming to New England and I was wondering if it is worth driving 100 miles to go.

TIA

Lou

Chris Barnett
10-03-2007, 7:06 PM
Went to the Knoxville show two weeks back (or is it three now :confused: ). They had a lot of attachments, appurtenances, thing-a-ma-jigs and whup-te-dos but no power equipment for sale; none. Had some elementary [free] demonstrations on the table saw, band saw, jointer/planer, dust control and routers i.e. elementary and adanced dovetails (this one was well worth the time) but if you wanted power or typical hand tools, forget it. PC was not even represented :( !

Jim Eller
10-03-2007, 8:11 PM
I too attended the Knoxville show and would agree with Chrs.

It was geared, in my opinion, to entry level wookworkers. This is a good thing I would admit.

I was disappointed at the lack of stationary and portable power tools. I'm kind of a Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor guy.

I did set through most of Mike Heavy's "seminars" which were also geared to entry level stationary tool purchases. I did take away a couple of new thoughts even though I have all the stuff.

The Atlanta show is much better but I did manage to spent a couple hundred dollars and I've never seen a woodworking show I didn't like.

Jim
Kodak, TN

Brian Ross
10-03-2007, 11:22 PM
Woodworking shows are the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Drove 2400 miles to the Vegas show this summer.

Brian

Scott Whiting
10-04-2007, 9:24 AM
I view woodworking shows in general as an opportunity to meet some folks I "meet" on these forums and play with some toys and if something looks like a good buy that I can use I'll buy it. This is the first year for the Consumer Woodworking Expo so it is hard to tell how their particular format will work. I agree with Brian that the Vegas and Atlanta shows are worth every effort to go, and I do