View Full Version : New to Turning - Good Lathe?

Mike Goetzke
10-03-2007, 5:16 PM
I've goofed around several times with a low end Craftsman lathe with sporadic luck. I just saw the following for sale locally for $350 and was wondering what the thoughts are on this model:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/th_lathe.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/lathe.jpg)

Ad states: Rockwell Delta variable speed wood lathe with ~15 Robert Sorby Sheffield England High speed steel lathe tools, chuck, 2 boxes worth of extra tools, books, centering tool, etc. Will accommodate up to ~38" pieces of wood plus ability to do bowls. Lathe is approximately 5 foot long, 38" high to top of work area. No wobble

Thanks for your help,

Mike

Kim Ford
10-03-2007, 5:29 PM
Ryan, my son in law has that exact lathe. That is about what we paid for it but did not get all of the chisels and stuff. I owned one similar to it years ago and thought it was a good way to get started.

Just my 2 cents.

Kim

Jim Kountz
10-03-2007, 6:31 PM
Heck if all those tools in the picture are Sorbys, they alone are worth the asking price. I only know this because I am a turning newbie and have been looking at some chisel sets to get started myself.

Bob Vallaster
10-03-2007, 6:37 PM
Looks in good condition and it's running. Worth that much without the extras. With the extras, it's a ready-made gloat.

Gene Kennedy
10-03-2007, 6:47 PM
I'm new to woodturnig, so I don't know a lot about lathes, but since I jumped into the vortex a couple of months ago I've spent over 400 bucks (so far) on a just a few turning tools and handful of accessories for my lathe. With that said, it looks to me like theres well over $350.00 worth of tools and accessories (provided everything is in good shape of course), so if the lathe is in good shape and its turning capacity suited my needs, I'd probably snatch it up - TONIGHT.

John Nowack
10-03-2007, 6:59 PM
Can you post the address and phone number for the people selling that set up. (it's not like I am new to turning and shoping for a newer lathe with all the fixin's or anything):cool: :cool:

John Shuk
10-03-2007, 7:49 PM
Jump on it. I can't see you having trouble selling the machine alone for that price down the road if you wanted to.

George Guadiane
10-03-2007, 10:13 PM
Looks like a chance of a lifetime! If the tools are really sorby and the bearings seem good, BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bernie Weishapl
10-04-2007, 10:30 AM
Go for it. Heck if they are Sorby's the tools are worth $350.