PDA

View Full Version : TS extension table ?

Al Willits
10-03-2007, 1:32 PM
Just seen a add for I think a PM table saw and it had the 50" (?) fence system on it and a wooden extension table going off the right side of the saw, it had holes for them vise thingies that you use on a normal bench and a vise on the far end.

Got thinking it was a good idea and figured I'd add it to my list of projects, I also might just get rails and guides and make about a 40" fence which wouldn't take up quite so much room.

Anyway, wonder what I should make it out of, in their picture it looks pretty sturdy and almost like its made out of 2x4", not sure what kind of wood though?

Anybody seen this ad and know what I'm rambling about??
Any thoughts??
tia

Al

Richard Magbanua
10-03-2007, 2:16 PM
Hi Al,
Yeah, I've seen that recently and I must admit I felt like I need that saw! Then I felt that I wanted to build it for mine. Then I thought about my workbench that I can't use very well at times because of all the crap I toss on it. That's when I set up an auxilliary table to use as an assembly table which, in turn, attracts alot of other crap. This pattern continues until I finish the project, clean up the shop and reclaim tabletop. So in the end I realized a work bench attached to my tablesaw would probably be no different.
However, if shop space is at a premium for you, by all means try it! I would think you would build it the same way as any other workbench. Which is to say, one of a few hundred different ways. You could laminate some 2x4's or hardwood for the top, use a couple layers of particle board with a hardboard skin, edge an old solid core door, or even buy a premade maple workbench top. A nice touch would be to carve your name or logo into it somewhere. Hmm, I think I'm liking this idea again. Since it's going to be a part of your tablesaw I would make it as nice as I could.
In any case one can't argue that this kind of extension does look very, very nice.;)

glenn bradley
10-03-2007, 2:32 PM
I've seen the ad. Very cool idea. the top appears to be a standard laminated maple workbench top. If you want to use a vise and dogs on it I would not go with a soft wood.

The fir trim I used on my bench was purposeful and has saved me a few swearing sessions by being softer than what I accidentally smacked into it. The trim dented and the cherry didn't. ;-) This characteristic would not workout for dog holes though.

Scott Lingle
10-03-2007, 2:43 PM
I remember seeing this ad a little while back. Looked to me like it might be laminated maple. My first thought was "sure, and when we bit the bullet and got mine, they had this little MDF deal sticking out the side" :) I have thought about making a new one once I saw that picture. My thought was to add a cabinet under it to store blades and saw accessories and the like. There is a nice 'saw station' sketchup drawing out there somewhere with that kind of thing on it. If I can find it again, maybe I'll post it.

Let us know what you come up with. I think that might be my next project (after some christmas presents that is.)

Scott

Al Willits
10-03-2007, 3:04 PM
Ya, bench's in my shop/garage are usually full of stuff, then I do a major cleaning and they look clear for a bit, but I think I can keep this table as clear as the saw top usually is....kinda....:)

Maple is ok then?

It kinda looks like the top is 2x4"s stacked with the 4" vertical?
Would make a pretty strong top, gonna lose the mobile base, but Ithink I can put the saw in a spot that I won't have to move it or Beasty probably wouldn't move it with her car, I think I can keep the rear extension and prob this one truer if its not on a mobile base and getting moved.

Any plans would be welcome, would like to get it correct the first time...:)

Ya, saw is nice, be a nice upgrade over the Delta hybrid I have, but I see a drum sander in my future first....I hope..:)

Al