PDA

View Full Version : sycamore hollow form

mike fuson
10-03-2007, 1:41 AM
This is a chunk of sycamore, not the most elegant thing in the world but I thought it was neat looking wood. Measures 7x7 buffed seal coat finish.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/sycamoreface.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/sycamoretop.jpg

Richard Jones
10-03-2007, 5:19 AM
Mike,

Absolutely gorgeous wood. Bottom pic is the better one, and I think I'd rotate it a bit more clockwise so as to have the void even more off center and show some more of that grain. Second pic also gives more depth and gives a truer view of the form.

Bottom pic looks almost like a scary face with a wide open mouth, just in time for Halloween...........

I'll bet that one was fun to turn. Looks sort of like the one Mike Mahoney uses in his H/F DVD for teaching. I guess this one gave you a good "view" into how important tool presentation is...........

I'm almost ready to take the leap myself, just need to buy a few tools (ha!) and get the intestinal fortitude wound up.

Very nice, congrats on keeping it all together!! And also looks perfect WITHOUT a collar. I think adding one would have detracted greatly from the obvious focal point.

My $.02............

Rich

Steve Schlumpf
10-03-2007, 8:58 AM
Very impressive Mike! Great looking wood! Nice form and finish! I guess when the void is that large it takes a little of the guess-work out of the question of whether or not to finish the inside of the hollow form!! Very nice work - as always!

Bernie Weishapl
10-03-2007, 9:01 AM
Great looking piece of wood and great piece Mike. Wow that must have been interesting turning.

Neal Addy
10-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Wow! Beautiful form, Mike. And it's air conditioned, too!

TYLER WOOD
10-03-2007, 11:48 AM
I like the simplicity of this piece. Really speaks quietly, but demands to be heard.

Ed Scolforo
10-03-2007, 1:35 PM
Nice form, Mike, and interesting piece of wood.

Tom Sherman
10-03-2007, 8:31 PM
Cool piece Mike.

Shane Whitlock
10-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Great job Mike!