PDA

View Full Version : Wilke & my 8" yorkcraft jointer

Ken Platt
03-03-2003, 4:53 PM
There were a couple of folks who specifically asked for followup from the problem I'd posted about a couple of days ago; I thought I might ought to start a new thread since the previous was getting a ways down, and I haven't quite figured out how new posts to old threads get handled here.
For those who want the whole story, the post is on the second page; the short version is that the infeed table on the jointer is dished from end to end, like a very long shallow "C", with the high point to low point being .018 to .022".

The tech guy at Wilke agreed with me that that was way out of spec. He didn't specify exactly what their specs are, but said that in the range of .005-.010 was acceptable. (I've heard Delta specifies .008 for their 8"-ers - can anyone confirm that?) He said he'd get back to me. I called him back about 6 hours later, and was told that after checking with Mr. Wilke, they had decided to send me out another jointer (bed), and he was going to personally check this one's bed for flatness before it went out.

Now if I can just cajole a friend (again!) into helping me haul the thing downstairs, and bring the old one back up. That may be a 2 six-packer favor, at least.

Anyhow, as others have said, getting a dud machine happens, it's how the problem is handled that gets my repeat business, which Wilke will get.

Ken

Dave Hammelef
03-03-2003, 5:25 PM
Sounds good 2 things.

1) anything with a new post is brought to the top of the list so It will not get lost.

2) I also have a basement shop and keep saying I am going to check machinery before hauling it down there, never do and fortunately all machinery has been ok.

Dave

Halsey MCCombs
03-03-2003, 6:28 PM
Thanks for the follow up Ken. Nice to hear that a company follows thru. Halsey

Ed Falis
03-03-2003, 6:58 PM
I agree about Wilke. I bought a cabinet saw from them in January. Aside from it being really well prepped (like cosmoline removed except on cast iron and all adjustments checked), there were a couple of small items missing (manual, extension table legs). They took care of it immediately with no hassles. I'm also very pleased with the quality of the saw itself for the price.

- Ed

Steve Roxberg
03-03-2003, 8:02 PM
Glad to hear that they stepped up and are fixing it. What about the fence, or is that being replaced as well?

Tim Spickler
03-04-2003, 5:54 AM
I've never purchased anything from Wilke, but I have never heard or read any negative comments about them.

John Miliunas
03-25-2003, 11:04 PM
Hey Ken...So, any update on the status of your jointer? Really kind of anxious to hear, as I'm still in the research and feedback part of my jointer search. Did Wilke do you good? I'm assuming they made it right for you. Have you had a chance to give it a bit of a workout yet? Inquiring minds want to know....:D Thanks! :cool:

Ted Shrader
03-26-2003, 6:52 PM
Originally posted by Ken Platt [/i]
Now if I can just cajole a friend (again!) into helping me haul the thing downstairs, and bring the old one back up. That may be a 2 six-packer favor, at least. . . . . Or maybe a case. But you could be a true friend and help him drink it. :)

Anyhow, as others have said, getting a dud machine happens, it's how the problem is handled that gets my repeat business, which Wilke will get.
Ken
That is good to hear. Positive feedback is infrequently given, negative seems to be the rule. I plan to send Wilke some of my $$$ in the near future.

Thanks,
Ted