PDA

View Full Version : Ornament Photo Tutorial

Shane Whitlock
10-03-2007, 12:20 AM
I got started on the tutorial for the holiday ornaments.

Please take a look at it and let me know if I am missing anything, or if there's something else you would like to see.

I still need to turn the finials and will post the pics for those as soon as I get a chance to turn them.

This is what I got done tonight. The globe is turned and finish is drying. I will edit this post and change the picture when I get it all done.

(pic of globe without the finish)
http://www.shanewhitlock.com/photo/d/570-3/IMG_0603.jpg

Oh ... Heres the link. (http://www.shanewhitlock.com/photo/v/wood/ornaments/tut/)
Just click on the thumbnails for a larger image and a description of what the pics about.

Happy Turning,
Shane Whitlock
__________________________________________________ _________

Edited:

I got the finials turned tonight after work so the tutorial is now complete.

Here's the finish ornament.

http://www.shanewhitlock.com/photo/d/599-2/IMG_0623.jpg

Thanks for reading,
Shane Whitlock

Dave Noon
10-03-2007, 7:00 AM
I got started on the tutorial for the holiday ornaments.

Please take a look at it and let me know if I am missing anything, or if there's something else you would like to see.

I still need to turn the finials and will post the pics for those as soon as I get a chance to turn them.

This is what I got done tonight. The globe is turned and finish is drying. I will edit this post and change the picture when I get it all done.

(pic of globe without the finish)

Oh ... Heres the link. (http://www.shanewhitlock.com/photo/v/wood/ornaments/tut/)
Just click on the thumbnails for a larger image and a description of what the pics about.

Happy Turning,
Shane Whitlock

Nice job Shane. It's very clear as to step-by-step.
You may want to make the tool photo more clear, hard to see the front tool.
Different way of parting off. How do you clean up the ragged end after drilling the bottom out?
What kind of wod did you use?
Hopefully I will find time to try one, if so I'll be sure and let you see it.
Thanks,
Dave

Dennis Peacock
10-03-2007, 9:01 AM
Beautifully done.!!!!!!!!!!! I want MORE!!!! I'm learning and I want MORE!!!!! :rolleyes: ;)

I tried my hand at turning an ornament yesterday and I hate to say it....but it "sucks"....and it's U G L Y. :o

Curt Fuller
10-03-2007, 10:00 PM
Excellent instructions! Thanks Shane.

Shane Whitlock
10-03-2007, 10:01 PM
...You may want to make the tool photo more clear, hard to see the front tool.
Different way of parting off. How do you clean up the ragged end after drilling the bottom out?
What kind of wod did you use?
Hopefully I will find time to try one, if so I'll be sure and let you see it.
Thanks,
Dave

Thanks for your comments Dave,
Did you click on the thumbnail to see the larger pic. The tool pic looks very clear to me. Anyone else not seeing it?

When I drill out the bottom its a very clean cut. You don't get any tear out like you would if you was drilling with a drill press cause the bit is stationary and the wood is spinning. The second the bit drills through the bottom the globe stops turning preventing any tear out. I also think since you are drilling sideways the wood chips eject from the bit easier which helps prevent tear out too.

The wood is Box Elder burl and Cocobolo.LOL ... Thanks Dennis. Hope the pictures help.

Thanks Curt.

Happy Turning,
Shane Whitlock

Dave Noon
10-04-2007, 8:18 PM
Thanks for your comments Dave,
Did you click on the thumbnail to see the larger pic. The tool pic looks very clear to me...

Shane Whitlock
You're right on the money Shane. I did not click on the thumbnail.
Did now and it's much more clear.
Thanks.
Dave

paul ashman
10-04-2007, 8:29 PM
That was an excellent tutorial! I am a college instructor and have to admire your teaching skills!

Bernie Weishapl
10-04-2007, 9:14 PM
Great ornament Shane. The tutorial is great.

Pat Doble
10-04-2007, 9:34 PM
Great tutorial Shane - very clear and easy to follow. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

Richard Madison
10-05-2007, 12:04 AM
Shane,
Ditto what they all said! Very nice web site. For those w/ too slow equipment and even slower connections to see every detail of your excellent presentation, what are dimensions of the globe? Thanks for your help.

Ed Scolforo
10-05-2007, 5:59 AM
That's an excellent tutorial, Shane! Thank you.

Brian Weick
10-05-2007, 6:34 AM
Nice job on that piece and on this tutorial Shane -Way To Go! :D
Brian