PDA

View Full Version : Koa or substitute

craig carlson
02-03-2004, 10:27 PM
Hi,

I'm about to embark upon my dream of a bedroom set made of Koa. Pretty expensive stuff but this is what I want, I'm only going to do this once in my life time. Does anyone one know of a substitude for Koa or a method to make a similar wood/dye that would look like Koa? Most of the construction would be veneer (which I can make) on baltic birch, the remainder would be solid for the drawer fronts and trim. I thought I'd check here first before I go (finacially crazy).

Thanks,
Craig

Jamie Buxton
02-03-2004, 10:59 PM
Koa is almost all gone. However, a couple weeks ago I was in Plywood and Lumber Sales' Oakland yard, and they said they had several thousand board feet. www.pals4wood.com

craig carlson
02-03-2004, 11:08 PM
Thank you,Thank you ,Thank you They're just down the road!! More ideas are welcome !!!!

Craig

Chris Padilla
02-04-2004, 10:15 AM
Thank you,Thank you ,Thank you They're just down the road!! More ideas are welcome !!!!

Craig

Hey! Some fellow Bay-Area-ers!! :D Nice to see a few more locals on SMC!

I visit PALS here in San Jose when I can. It is unfortunate that they are not open on the weekends. I am surprised to hear about their Koa...didn't realise they would have such a domestic exotic. That is very nice to hear.

Their prices on A1 grade plywood is very good. I picked up several sheets of A1 maple ply a couple months back.