PDA

View Full Version : triton router owners?

rocky brown
10-02-2007, 9:41 PM
i bought one of these 2 1/4hp routers and installed it in my table and i'm surprised at how noisy it is. on top of the regular "router noise" there is a high pitched squeal mixed with a hint of a grinding noise. i emailed tech support and they said that due to the design the triton is slightly louder than other routers, but this doesn't sound normal. they suggested i return it to amazon and ask for a replacement. i thought i'd ask on here and see if anyone else has experienced this before i sent it back.

thanks,
rb

tim rowledge
10-03-2007, 12:22 AM
Mine doesn't seem particularly loud - but I've only used it in my table setup. The 'hint of grinding' would worry me.

Rick Thom
10-03-2007, 5:33 AM
Rocky, i have used mine for 1 1/2 years now and it's been trouble free and satisfactory in every way. I do know of a few who bought @ 6 months ago and have problems with what sounds to be bearing-related issues leading to bit chatter. I agree with sending it back for replacement now. Perhaps the demand for this machine was so high that there are some problems batches.

Greg Sznajdruk
10-03-2007, 11:31 AM
I've had mine for about a year have not noticed the problem you describe.

I have 4 routers and do not use the Triton in a table. Since I use it infrequently can't remember when to push the button when to pull the knob find that I have to refresh my memory with the manual every time I pick up the Triton. But then seems that I have to refresh memory alot more than I used to.

Greg

rocky brown
10-03-2007, 11:42 AM
thanks guys. i guess i'll ship it back to the jungle.

rb

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-03-2007, 3:18 PM
Mine is loud but squeals and grinding sounds bad.

Bryan Cowing
10-04-2007, 6:32 AM
There is a bad batch of 2.25 hp Tritons out there, at least in Canada :mad:. My new one had a vibration / whrrrr noise using a larger face molding bit. I tried another bit, same noise, vibration, then tried the 2nd bit, a Freud handrail bit in my 1.5 hp PC 690 and it ran true. Got a dial indicator out and found the hole in the end of the armature is bored off center by 3 thousands. 1st I thought it was the collett but the 1/4" had the same run-out. Took it back to the store and tried another new one right there with my handrail bit, same vibration. I left with the bigger 3.25 hp trition as I wasn't going to open all 4 they had in stock of the 2.25 hp routers looking for a good one and I had some work to get out of the shop. Cost me another $60 for the bigger router. Here is a pic of the bit in the 3.25 hp, not that large. A small bit wouldn't generate a lot of vibration and noise. 73002