PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection

Bobby Perry
10-02-2007, 5:48 PM
Does anyone have the HF dust collection system? Here are the stats on it.
Creates a Dust-free Atmosphere

Powerful 2 HP dust collector creates a dust free working environment. Develops over ten times the suction of most shop vacuums. Works with a 4'' hose to pick up large chips from jointers, saws, shapers and planers. Hose sold separately.
Locking casters
Lockable on/off toggle switch
Motor: 2 HP, 110V, 14 amps, single phase
Bag capacity: 70 gal.
Air flow: 1600 CFM
Single stage
Filtration: 30 micron
Hose inlet: 4''
Overall dimensions: 75-1/2''H x 33''L x 22''W
Shipping weight: 145 lbs.
CSA-US certified The store has one for $179

My wife has given me permission to get one lol

Steven Wilson
10-02-2007, 6:01 PM
Filtration: 30 micron - that means it's a dust pump. It will collect chips and very large dust particles. However, it will pump all of the fine dust right through the filters.

Brian Weick
10-02-2007, 6:09 PM
Yes,
I have the same system ~I got rid of the caster base and it is permanently mounted in an area of the shop. I put a 20oz piece of metal and tied it to the loop on the top bag so I could get rid of the upper support shaft. When the DC is started up it blows the top bag wright up into shape ~ fast, and when I shut it off the bag drop's down because of gravity, and the metal is there to make sure it drops down into the middle into the bottom bag. It does a great job and I was surprised on the draw it produces. Only think I would recommend one thing at some point ~ replace the 5" transfer tube from the motor blower housing to the bag housing. Not very well made. I have to replace mine- it got some cracks in it (dry rot) , but either than that- I would have to say that I am pretty happy with that DC.:D
Brian

Bill Wyko
10-02-2007, 6:14 PM
You might check into the canister filter from jet. If it's the same size maybe you could put that on top and plastic bag the bottom. Honestly, if it's not going to be outside, 30 microns is letting the most dangerous dust escape straight to your lungs.:( Even 2 microns is a problem. I still wear a respirator. I would say that clean air is in the top 3 for saftey issues for woodwork. Don't skimp here IMHO.

Bobby Perry
10-02-2007, 6:21 PM
They do have a 1 micron conversion kit that I'm going to get also.

Mark Engel
10-02-2007, 6:40 PM
I have had that DC for quite a while. I got it on sale for only $159.00. The first thing I did was replace the bags with some shaker felt bags. Got the bags on ebay.

One other thing about it that I don't like is the motor is a 115v only, it cannot be re-wired for 220v. My last DC was 220v, so I had to install a new 20amp circuit to power this one up.

I have the DC in a small room separate from the main shop, so any dust that does get blown out of the bags settles on the floor in there.

Adam Morgenstern
10-02-2007, 9:44 PM
I have it and am pretty happy with it. I recently replaced the bags with a Wynn canister and it is the best $$ I have spent in awhile. Filters much better and actually increased the suction. The install of the canister was a breeze, took about 5 minutes and that included wrestling a full bottom bag off the unit which would be much easier had I not stuffed it in a corner.