PDA

View Full Version : Over the glasses - safety

Bob Moyer
10-02-2007, 2:24 PM
I wear glasses and I am looking to purchase glasses to put over them. The few I have tried fog very easily when I perspire which is ofen when I am working.
Suggestions please - Thank you!

Randal Stevenson
10-02-2007, 2:42 PM
As someone else who is tired of ill fitting safety glasses, I do know that some fit some frames (sizes) better then others.
The ones that have worked best for me were AO safety. I had tried some "non fog" uvex, with no luck.
I also use and recommend at times a face shield. Inexpensive and offers more protection.

Then there is a commercial site that I was told about on one of the forums....
39dollarglasses.com/prescription-safety-glasses.html

If you get tired of the search.

A friend (retired UAW) gave me some removable side shield that go on my regular glasses (polycarbonet lenses) that they used at the plant. I haven't found anyone that carries them locally yet, but would be good for some things.

Joe Pelonio
10-02-2007, 2:46 PM
I just got new glasses and had them made in polycarbonate lenses for about $20 extra, so they can act as safety glasses for most work. When doing something with a lot more danger I'll use the flip-up full face mask over them.
(Like a welder's mask but clear) They don't seem to fog as much.

Jude Kingery
10-02-2007, 2:50 PM
Hi Bob, might want to check out having prescription safety glasses; that's what I did and I'm very pleased with them, no fogging at all. (removeable side shields as mentioned). In fact I prefer these over my regular glasses, ha! Good luck! Jude

glenn bradley
10-02-2007, 8:38 PM
Speaking as an optometrist's son (which doesn't qualify me a bit) I bought REAL safety glasses frames (different design that regular glasses) and had REAL safety glasses made with my RX. This will make my fellow bespectacled woodworking brethren more happy than they can ever believe.

I never have to remember to put my goggles on. I never have to remember where I set them down. I do keep a couple pair on hand for spectators but my eye protection goes on before I enter the shop and comes off when I leave. You'll love it.

Al Willits
10-02-2007, 8:59 PM
I need glasses so mine are safety glasses and wear them for most stuff, like Joe, when doing something a bit more hazardous I use a full face shield.
I found the glasses over glasses a pain

Al

Greg Cuetara
10-02-2007, 9:08 PM
You may want to use the search feature because this topic has been discussed before. If you do not want to spend too much money you can go to walmart and they have real safety glasses for around $50. They have a special deal because they are safety glasses. I tried the glasses over glasses and it became more dangerous because they fogged up very easily. I find my new prescription safety glasses to be quite comfortable and much better. I have small oval type glasses for work and wearing out and about but I got some bigger frames and lenses to provide more safety while in the shop.
Good luck.

I need glasses so mine are safety glasses and wear them for most stuff, like Joe, when doing something a bit more hazardous I use a full face shield.
I found the glasses over glasses a pain

Al

Rick Gibson
10-02-2007, 10:37 PM
My insurance will cover $500 every two years. The frames are usually in good shape so I get 3 pair. A regular pair for every day use. A pair of safety glasses with removable side shields and a pair made to focus at just over arms length for computer use. Getting older and need trifocals and working on the computer for any length of time with them gives me a literal pain in the neck hence the pair just for that. The safety glasses look as good as my regular ones so if needed I can remove the side shields and use them all the time in a pinch.

Matt Meiser
10-03-2007, 8:52 AM
Because of my job I'm regularly in manufacturing facilities which always require safety glasses. They always have the plastic ones that fit over prescription glasses. I find they tend to distort things a little bit and I've even had some where I start to feel ill after a day of wearing them because of it. I went around and around with the H&S person at my previous company and they wouldn't pay for prescription ones because I needed them less than 25% of the time when you looked at an average year. My point though is that I'd be suprised if you like them.

Al Willits
10-04-2007, 9:44 AM
Not sure why you included my post Greg, but I get safety glasses at work free (they're required) and over the years of doing metal work I've found nothing protects as well as a full face sheild and my normal safety glasses to keep flying metal grindings and such from reaching the eyes.

Seems to work well and its more comfortable than two pairs of glasses on and doesn't fog nearly as easy.

Al

Randal Stevenson
10-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Not sure why you included my post Greg, but I get safety glasses at work free (they're required) and over the years of doing metal work I've found nothing protects as well as a full face sheild and my normal safety glasses to keep flying metal grindings and such from reaching the eyes.

Seems to work well and its more comfortable than two pairs of glasses on and doesn't fog nearly as easy.

Al

Quoting Al because, even if shavings DON'T hit your eye, something cutting into any part of your face, where when you wipe the sweat, you could wipe into your eyes, isn't a good thing.

Mom is the surgical nurse for an opthomologist, so I have heard lot's of stories. Even safety glasses aren't inpenetratable (pnuematic framing nailer incident), and she LOVES to tell stories, when serving brussel sprouts.