PDA

View Full Version : OT sort of about fonts

Bob Kline
10-02-2007, 2:09 PM
Over the months I've acquired a number of fonts and installed them in my font folder. I just bought a 2nd (backup) laptop and want to put these extra fonts on it but can't figure out how to copy them. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Craig Hogarth
10-02-2007, 2:25 PM
go to control panel -> fonts then click and drag into disk.

Bob Kline
10-02-2007, 3:14 PM
Thanks but that doesn't seem to work.

Craig Hogarth
10-02-2007, 3:33 PM
Thanks but that doesn't seem to work.

can you drag to the desktop or empty folder first?

Cary Fleming
10-02-2007, 3:42 PM
I've always found it to be easiest to deal with fonts at the Windows command-line. Windows Explorer doesn't treat them like every other file when you try to copy them around. I go to Start, Run and then run CMD. I then go to the folder or drive I want to copy them to and type in:

copy c:\windows\fonts\*.ttf .

That way I don't have to worry about Windows Explorer getting in the way. I've got a folder on my flash drive just for transfering fonts between my laptop, desktop at work and desktop that I run my laser from at home.

Ed Kloppenburg
10-02-2007, 11:14 PM
I use the copy paste for the few that I have had to transfer. Works well if the customer has sent you a font through email.

Ed

Bill Cunningham
10-04-2007, 10:07 PM
You can 'copy' them to the computer, but they won't work until you 'install' them.. on XT go to the control panel, click on fonts, then click on install new font, and choose the folder where you copied the font to, it will list all the fonts it finds, and just choose the ones you want from the list, and click install.. On Vista, ?? Nah! I won't touch Vista until the bug shoot is done..

David L Shaw
10-05-2007, 12:06 AM
Go to C Drive.
Open the Windows Folder.
There will be a folder name Fonts under the Windows folder.
Drag the font file into the above Font Folder.
It will then automatically install the font. You will see a progress bar as it installs.
If the font is all ready installed, it will tell you and won't install.