PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry Box

Mike Golka
10-02-2007, 1:33 PM
Fianaly finished this box on the weekend, my first attempt at flocking. It turned out Ok though. Box is made of maple, bloodwood,wenge and a little vera wood for the rose leaves.

Jason Tuinstra
10-02-2007, 1:59 PM
Mike, very nice job. Looks like you have quite a bit of work in the details. They certainly give the box that little something extra. Nice job on the inserts as well.

Bill Wyko
10-02-2007, 2:13 PM
Very, very nice. I love building smaller projects like yours. Nice jobe on design, finish, style and execution. A+:)

Brian Lindenlaub
10-02-2007, 2:44 PM
Outstanding box. The contrasting woods look great.

Dean Thomas
10-02-2007, 2:52 PM
Love the sides. Panel work makes for very attractive projects. Nice job!

Bill Huber
10-02-2007, 4:01 PM
When I get my first one done I am not even going to show it here after seeing this one.

I also really like the sides of the box, the gran pattern is really nice.

Roland Sherman
10-02-2007, 4:44 PM
Mike, very nice job, I only hope that my boxes turn out as nice as yours.

Zahid Naqvi
10-02-2007, 4:53 PM
Very nice, what did you make the inserts from.

Mike Golka
10-02-2007, 5:09 PM
Thanks for all your kind remarks, Zahid, the petals are bloodwood, the stem wenge and the leaves are verawood

Carroll Courtney
10-02-2007, 7:37 PM
Mike,very nice job.I have always wanted to make something as elengent(?spell) as your jewelry box.Is the rose inlay and made from veneer?In brief,what did you use to cut the inlay?I want to give it a try sometimes.Nice job,please post more pics of your work. Carroll

Brian Knodel
10-02-2007, 7:55 PM
Mighty fine craftsmanship and nice design as well, some ones going to be happy to receive that.

Brian

Matt P
10-02-2007, 9:37 PM
Great box.. how do you attach the sides to the corner posts?

Mike Golka
10-02-2007, 9:46 PM
Thanks Carroll, the inlay was cut into solid stock using a 1/16" router bit to a depth of 1/8" then the stock was run through the bandsasw to produce pieces about 1/8" thick. The female pockets were then milled into the lid using the same bit. I have to come clean, the router is mounted on a CNC machine I built from scratch a couple years ago. My philosophy is if you don't have the talent build a jig or machine to do it for you. My CNC is not as fast or probaly as acurate as store bought but I had fun building it and use it for all kinds of stuff. As for more pictures they will have to wait until the weekend when I get back home, working in Calgary, about 3hr. from LOML and shop.:( Thanks again to all the Creekers for thier kind words, I am enjoying the forum emencly.

So much wood, so little time!

Mike Golka
10-02-2007, 9:48 PM
The intire box is glued (titebond III) with the exception of the hinges of course.