PDA

View Full Version : First Bowl

Mike Golka
10-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Hello eveyone, this is my first attempt at turning a bowl from solid wood. I recently bought a lathe and did a couple of segmented bowls of cedar (scraps from a deck project) that turned out ok. My neighbor cut down a maple tree in his back yard and I aquired a few pieces. I am very knew to this turning gig but love wood working in general and find turning most addictive. This bowl is also a save as I had a pretty good catch which ejected the piece from the chuck (split the bottom).:o Glued to hard wood sacrificial piece then turned the bottom on a Longsworth chuck I made on the weekend. Still a long way to go but the best learned leasons are always the hardest. Any critiques are welcome.

Mike A. Smith
10-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Very nice Mike! Looks a lot better than my first one.

Quinn McCarthy
10-02-2007, 1:15 PM
Nice job Mike.

Maple is always a favorite of mine.

Quinn

Ken Fitzgerald
10-02-2007, 2:08 PM
Very nicely done Mike! Welcome to the Vortex!

Steve Schlumpf
10-02-2007, 2:27 PM
Mike - Welcome to the Creek!

Good looking bowl! What's the size and what did you use for a finish?

Mike Golka
10-02-2007, 4:00 PM
Steve, it's about 8" in dia. and aprox. 4.5" deep with a tung oil finish.
Thanks for all your kind remarks.

Bernie Weishapl
10-02-2007, 5:29 PM
Mike welcome to Creek. That bowl is a beauty. Well done.

Pat Doble
10-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Nice job on the bowl Mike. Welcome to the Creek.

Richard Madison
10-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Mike,
You are a fast learner. Press on as if you know what you are doing, and you may soon surpass many who do. This is intended as praise and encouragement.

Neal Addy
10-03-2007, 10:04 AM
That's a bowl to be proud of. Nice work, Mike!

Robert McGowen
10-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Looks good Mike. Did you turn the bowl green and dry it, or did you go from tree to finished bowl in one whack?

Mike Golka
10-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Started off planing to turn green to finish but after the catch mishap:( I sealed it with end sealer and didn't get a chance to get back to it for about six weeks. It was pretty thin when Isealed it, about 1/2" so by the time I got back to finishing it it was drying pretty good. It had warped considerably but no cracks:D. Good leason learned both in saving and sealing, maybe not how the pros do it but it worked this time.

TYLER WOOD
10-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Mike, I would say that this is a fine example of a first bowl. It's not your typical vertical side, flat slope, thick rimmed piece. It has some nice elements of form. The rim looks good, I like the out turned rim on it. Nice wood, goos save. Keep turning! If your a natural at this like it looks like you will be, you will go far!!! Good luck and welcome to the vortex!

Ed Scolforo
10-03-2007, 1:57 PM
Mike, excellent bowl, first or 50th! I would have liked to see a profile of it. Welcome to The Creek!

Mike Golka
10-03-2007, 2:12 PM
I'll post one on the weekend when I get home, and thanks again for all the encouragement(the vortex has a firm grip!!)

Bill Wyko
10-03-2007, 2:31 PM
Very nice. Seems to be thin and consistant with a good form. Beware of those that say this is a cheap hobby. It'll suck you in like a Kansas tornado. Have fun and don't forget to visit the family once in a while. :D Welcome.

Tom Sherman
10-03-2007, 8:44 PM
Welcome to the Creek Mike, a job very well done.