PDA

View Full Version : Work Bench Project Question

Bob Moyer
10-02-2007, 11:06 AM
I am going to be starting a workbench project with a hinged top; the non-hinged top will be 22" the hinged top will add an additional 30". The length will be either 5' or 6'. The bench will be mounted against the garage wall on the side of the garage which is why it needs to have a hinged top. I am looking at using 2 x 6 for the cross members and 2 x 4 for the legs. I will have a plywood shelf. The top is a piece of pine 5/4 x 22" wide x 8' that I will cut down.

My questions are

1. How do I attach the hinged top to the permanent top?- Piano Hinge?
2. What are my options for the folding legs to support the hinged top.
3. I would like to add a woodworking vise at a later date; how do I prep the table ahead of time.
4. What finish do I use for the tops, the hinged top is an existing oak desk top that I am recylcing.
5. I would like to store heavy items on the bottom, i.e Ridgid sander, drill press etc, how should I reinforce the shelf.
6. What else should I consider.

Thank you in advance, this is a great forum for a senior newbie like myself.

keith ouellette
10-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Just so I understand. The 22" section will be fixed to the wall and un movable and the hinged section will flip up on top of it so you can get it out of the way. Like to park a car.

Bob Moyer
10-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Yes, the 22" section is unmovablel; I actually considered putting this on casters but I have concerns that it may have too much weight to the side of the flip up top.

keith ouellette
10-02-2007, 1:02 PM
Hardware source has extra heavy duty hinged shelf support hinges that lock to hold up a shelf. (I was going to order some for a project but got side tracted) I looked them up again and they are rated for 200lbs for a pair and they are about $40. The required spacing is no more than 32" so you would need two sets. (kinda expensive) they have a lot of hinges at hardware source.
I would use poly urethane on the top. I had it on my old bench and its pretty durable.

Dean Thomas
10-02-2007, 2:39 PM
My questions are

1. How do I attach the hinged top to the permanent top?- Piano Hinge?
2. What are my options for the folding legs to support the hinged top.
3. I would like to add a woodworking vise at a later date; how do I prep the table ahead of time.
4. What finish do I use for the tops, the hinged top is an existing oak desk top that I am recylcing.
5. I would like to store heavy items on the bottom, i.e Ridgid sander, drill press etc, how should I reinforce the shelf.
6. What else should I consider.
Hey Bob, sounds like a nice project. All answers with the necessary caveat, IMO. :)

I would NOT do the piano hinge. They are skinny metal and are not going to provide the sort of strength that you should aim for in a work bench. I'd be looking for some sort of heavy duty door hinges that are designed to carry a substantial load. Maybe from some sort of architectural salvage place, hinges that carried old solid lumber doors?
Folding legs are a cool idea, especially if your bench is going to be stationary. The floor (and thus the height of the benchtop) doesn't change that way. :rolleyes: If you put it on wheels, and if you have an absolutely level floor and won't have to adjust the legs to make the table level, I'd opt for plain ole 2x4 legs, but I'd try to find some sort of non-skid rubber booties to put on 'em.
I saw plans for a home-grown scandinavian style bench some time ago and their consideration for a vice was to make sure that there was plenty of meat on the edges so that the edge would not flex. If you build the whole edge with that in mind, all you'd have to worry about is if it'll hit the legs or the rest of the bench when it folds down?
Finish: If it's a workbench destined for hard core woodwork, do you want to finish it at all? If it's more of a bench for hobby type use without drills and saws to bung up the surface, you could do several things. I had one bench that I used for assembly of piano actions. I covered it with indoor-outdoor carpet squares so little parts & pieces would not bounce or roll. Had another that I used for other work that was dusty. Used a hollow box and put 1/8" hole peg board, rough side up to keep things from slipping off and connected a dust collector to the back to corral the dust. If it's a bang-em-up bench, would a 1/4" layer of hardboard set with double stick tape protect the bench enough? Or even just set into a hardwood edge to keep it from moving all around. Either of those would make the top very renewable Lots of thoughts, but would all depend on your main usage.
You could reinforce the shelf with a 2x4 or three, set so the 2 dimension was attached to the shelf. Additional "feet" in the middle would also give a HUGE boost of support. Since they'd be back out of the way, that could be a good thing for your design, maybe?And you know that pictures or drawings are going to be required, right? ;)