PDA

View Full Version : Printing From a Wireless Computer

Jim Young
10-02-2007, 8:17 AM
Is it possible? I have a laptop (actually belongs to the kids) and it wold be nice if they could print directly from it, not use my PC. We have a router/modem set up with four ports, is it as simple as getting the right cable and hook up the printer? The printer cable right now won't hook into the router ports, only into the back of my PC.

Matt Meiser
10-02-2007, 9:08 AM
The easiest way, if you are willing to leave your computer turned on, is to share the printer. If you right click on the printer, there should be a sharing tab. Click Share this Printer and enter a name or accept the suggested one. Click OK.

Then on the laptop, add a printer. Select "A network printer" click Next, then click "Connect to this Printer" and enter the name as \\yourcomputername\sharename (file://\\yourcomputername\sharename). There is a search feature, but on my computer it is extremely slow and never actually found any of the three shared printers on my home network.

All this assumes both computers are WindowsXP.

Depending on the printer and its interface, there are network adapters that will connect your printer directly to the network. I've used the consumer grade ones a couple times in a work setting and had problems every time so I'm not a big fan. Once was in a small construction office with three windows PC's. They had printinging problems on a regular basis--garbled text, lost jobs, jobs stuck in the queue. The other was when a customer specified them for their barcode printers. We'd loose at least one barcode a day randomly and every week or so they'd lock up and have to have the power cycled. When they switched to using the printer manufacturer's network card, the problems went away completely. Since the barcodes contained serial numbers for fuel tanks, no barcode meant scrapping the tank at something like $25 each. Then again maybe they've improved.

Another option would be to buy a network ready printer. My parents just bought an HP Print/Scan/Copy/Fax inkjet with nice photo features. It plugs right into the network and works with their Windows PC's and my brother's Macs.

Lee DeRaud
10-02-2007, 12:42 PM
You need something like this: Linksys PSUS4 (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416837650&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=3765076915B01), about $75 (IIRC...it was two years ago). You run Ethernet cable from the router to the server, then USB to the printer, and a moderate amount of setup mumbo-jumbo on each computer that wants to access it. It's been very reliable driving a monochrome laser printer.

I suspect one or more of the other network vendors makes a (more-expensive) wireless version, in case the printer isn't convenient to the router. I've also seen cheaper ones (Belkin, I think) that don't have the extra network ports.

Randal Stevenson
10-02-2007, 3:22 PM
I was trying to formulate my thoughts on this as some area's have been covered, some warnings have not.

Some of this may be over your head, if so I am sorry, give some more info and ask again and we will try to help.

If it is a Winprinter (Windows only, requires the software to use it), then you will NOT be able to use a Print server. (these are NORMALLY the printers that come with a computer or are less the $40, which normally costs less to replace then the ink cartridges). (another hint for determining, no Mac drivers)

If your computers are XP, and they both have the same profiles on them (log in name), then by leaving your pc on, and sharing it (as previously stated), it acts as a print server.

I am a cheapo when it comes to my pc stuff (used to have great access to a bargain store). I purchased three different print servers. Two HP and one Netgear. If you can find an old one (gave my brother an old HP 10mb print server), I would make sure my printer handles PJL emulation (basically print server language, designed for networking), and pick that up (check your local computer surplus places, Craigslist, ebay, then retail). I doubt they do enough printing that they really need a 10/100 one (unless they print out LARGE digital photo's).
If your printer doesn't handle PJL emulation, I would consider the simple print sharing.

Print servers can be wired, wireless, both, and handle several different printer interfaces (parallel, USB, 10/100 based, and even Serial (much older)).

Stephen Beckham
10-02-2007, 3:36 PM
I'm not sure if this is an option - but in the case that you are going to have to buy something no matter how you do it - have you considered any of the Brother MFC printers. They are the multifunction Print/Fax/Copy type machines. A couple of them run wireless straight to your router. SO any computer that can see your router - can then see the printer. You'll run more than just a print server, but....

Ours serves as the photo printer, memory stick reader and wireless printer for all - it only ran me $120 if memory serves me. It's got more bells than I needed - but was the only one in stock when I needed one NOW.

The only other issue with sharing a printer like this is kids don't mind printing dozens of copies to get one right - if you don't have some "print disipline" taught, you'll be going through ink and paper beyond your expected budget :eek:.

Lee DeRaud
10-02-2007, 4:27 PM
If it is a Winprinter (Windows only, requires the software to use it), then you will NOT be able to use a Print server. (these are NORMALLY the printers that come with a computer or are less the $40, which normally costs less to replace then the ink cartridges). (another hint for determining, no Mac drivers)Hmmm...the printer I had before the laser (lower-end Canon inkjet, maybe $80) worked ok with the server. I'll admit I never checked for Mac drivers (no Mac, no need for them), but that was one seriously dumb printer.

Randal Stevenson
10-02-2007, 4:54 PM
Hmmm...the printer I had before the laser (lower-end Canon inkjet, maybe $80) worked ok with the server. I'll admit I never checked for Mac drivers (no Mac, no need for them), but that was one seriously dumb printer.

LOL

Mac is just a helpful clue. Canon was the original, non Apple, apple friendly printers from my experiences. Never been a Mac fan, but am considering one of their laptops (triple boot, XP (games), Linux (use) and Mac (to play with and understand).

My mom has an old HP I got somewhere (originally for a Linux box), and I found out it was Windows only. I believe it was a HP 820. I am just trying to point out some problem area's so he can make an informed choice and not waste money (BTDT).

Curt Harms
10-02-2007, 6:36 PM
Is it possible? I have a laptop (actually belongs to the kids) and it wold be nice if they could print directly from it, not use my PC. We have a router/modem set up with four ports, is it as simple as getting the right cable and hook up the printer? The printer cable right now won't hook into the router ports, only into the back of my PC.

I tried sharing a printer thru a PC using Win2K, I could never get it to print reliably and that PC had to be on all the time. I bought a cheap little NetGear print server that plugs into a parallel port and an ethernet cable from the router to the print server. It worked but would occasionally forget where the print server was and I'd have to remind it. That print server also wouldn't work with a MFD(Multi-Function Device) I finally bought this:
http://www.brother-usa.com/mfc/ModelDetail.aspx?ProductID=MFC7820N

I didn't really need color and monochrome laser printing is quite a bit cheaper than inkjet per page. I also got quite a good color scanner, B/W copier and fax machine. The downside is if it breaks, I lose my monochrome printer, fax machine etc. instead of just the printer. I actually bought this because the fax machine ink cartridges were too expensive and too prone to plugging. It's just way cool to be able to scan to and print from a wireless computer. The biggest complaint I have with the Brother unit is some paper handling parts are pretty flimsy but with modest care I haven't broken anything. There are other manufacturers of networkable Multi Function devices but at the time I bought this the only other option was HP for quite a bit more money. I don't know anything about the wireless networked MFD's. They would be very cool if they were reliable-wouldn't have to have a cable running from the wireless router to the MFD, the printer could be on another floor from the router. The Brother device is in stock at most office stores i.e. Staples, Office Depot etc. so You can see and feel it for yourself. They're usually $259 or so on sale.

HTH

Curt

Matt Meiser
10-02-2007, 8:13 PM
The printer my employer bought me is a Brother. I just use the USB interface, but it does have a network interface. I'll have had it for 5 months in a couple weeks and it seems like a decent printer. I've always bought HP printers for my own (4 in the past 15 years, replaced because I wanted more features each time) and they've always worked well, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Brother either now.

The little Netgear print servers that plug right onto the parallel port are the ones that caused me a lot of grief.

Randal Stevenson
10-03-2007, 9:42 AM
My specs are a Brother HL-1440 on a Netgear PS110. Never had any print server errors like Matt is talking about, but if your looking, that would be one more reason to look for one that was network ready. I maxed out the ram when I bought mine ($99 after rebate, then an old 72 pin stick), I am wondering if that has something to do with the errors, Matt?

HP's tend to be rated for higher throughput (basically, business verses home), and have toner available in more places (at least they used to). But they also tend to cost more.

Matt Meiser
10-03-2007, 12:58 PM
They were using PS101's.

Tim Morton
10-03-2007, 8:26 PM
with a mac you click "share printer" and anyone on the network can print to it. Takes about 3 seconds to do....but that a mac:D