PDA

View Full Version : Shop Flooring quandary - Newbie to the creek

Mike Emde
10-02-2007, 5:38 AM
Hello All

There are some awsesome ideas out their and some amazing projects.
I have been reading over many of the postings and it has been very helpfull.

I will be building a new shop and starting with the floor I have ideas but am in need of some direction

We have just moved into a new home and is a dream in many aspects especially the potential for my shop.
The shop presently is an addition added onto the side of the garage.
The roof is not insulated but shingled and attached to main garage.
either end of the shop has doors that are on sliders. wall opposite garage is framed with some windows. The first issue I want to deal with before I start framing the ends in and putting proper doors is the floor.
Presently the floor is interlocked pavers on a sand base and I dont think there is any vapour barrier underneath as there where a few ant piles in some of the cracks.
I was thinking of removing all pavers and pouring concrete or putting a vapour barrier down with plywood over pavers??
Just not sure what other options are available. big job removing pavers and pouring concrete
I will try and attach a plan view of the main floor plan and a picture of the front of the garage, doesnt show the shop very well but gives you a bit of an idea. Shop is on right hand side of picture.

Cheers
Mike Emde :rolleyes:

keith ouellette
10-02-2007, 7:29 AM
If there wouldn't be a height problem and the pavers have been there for a while you may be able to put concrete over the pavers but that may depend on how high the current footer is.

Greg Funk
10-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Mike,

It looks like you have a great view from your deck! If it was me I'd remove the pavers and pour a nice flat reinforced concrete floor.

If you think the base for the pavers was prepared well and they will stay flat maybe you could pour a thin layer of gypcrete on the pavers to help seal in the moisture and then go with wood on top of that.

Greg

Jerry Grant
10-02-2007, 1:10 PM
Foundation, foundation, foundation. Go with the concrete floor and forget the problems that other solutions WILL bring

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-02-2007, 1:19 PM
Foundation, foundation, foundation. Go with the concrete floor and forget the problems that other solutions WILL bring

What he said~!!

Mike Emde
10-02-2007, 9:13 PM
;) Thanks for the comments...

Just thinking about my height restrictions it may be best removing pavers and then placing concrete. One side of the shop is about 9 feet high and other side just over 7feet..
Putting some prices to either option and not alot of difference concrete versus plywood and sealing pavers. That is with my labour not contracted out.

Mike Golka
10-02-2007, 10:10 PM
I agree with the others, concrete is the best solution. What are your plans for heat if any. Poly pipe in the concrete and a water heater with small circulating pump would make for a toasty shop in the Canadian winter.:)

Matt Meiser
10-03-2007, 8:58 AM
I would go with concrete as it is more versitile in the future. For example, I have a welder now and wouldn't want to use that over a wood floor. And like Mike said, put PEX tubing in the floor if you are going to pour one. The pex is cheap, even if you wait to implement the rest of the system.

Fred Haydon
10-03-2007, 11:14 AM
I would go with the reinforced concrete w/PEX, but I wouldn't pour the slab to grade. I'd pour the slab 3" shy of the grade and use wood to complete the grade. If you plan on spending any length of time working in shop, the wood flooring will save your feet, knees, hips, back, etc... and, when you drop a tool or piece of wood, it won't be completely ruined impacting the hard, unforgiving concrete floor.

If you need someplace to weld or cut metals using heat. just pour a small section of the concrete to grade.

Just my .02 worth.

Fred

Jeff Raymond
10-03-2007, 7:05 PM
Sea-ment with Rebar.

You won't be sorry later on.

Bill Wyko
10-03-2007, 7:58 PM
You might check into floor leveling concrete. You might be able to pour right over the pavers. I'd check with a pro on this though. I do know it's used on 2nd floor appts over plywood.

Mike Emde
10-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Well i think the road is definetly going to be concrete for sure just makes the best sense.
I havent used pex before but have used the elec cable system underneath tile. I know of elec cable systems that are used in concrete slabs as well.
The pex system sounds interesting will have to look into it.

This forum is very cool, got some great ideas :)

Now will have to empty the shop and fill up the garage, I dont think I will be very popular the next few weeks as winter is coming and no garage for the wife to park in.......:(

Merle Clor
10-03-2007, 10:19 PM
If you choose to use PEX in concrete be sure to put insulation and a vapor barrier under the concrete. Good Luck!

Lou Pole
10-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Doing anything over the pavers is asking for trouble. Take the advice the others have offered and do it right. You will wish you had when you are doing it over.

Randy Denby
10-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Doing anything over the pavers is asking for trouble. Take the advice the others have offered and do it right. You will wish you had when you are doing it over.

Boy is this the truth ! I wish I had taken this advice on several levels.....my retaining wall, my shop insulation, etc.

Bryan Cowing
10-04-2007, 6:11 AM
I would just buy those cheap 2x2 gray interlocking mats to put around equipment to walk on. I have about 1/4 of my floor covered, best thing I ever bought for working on concrete floors. Got mine at HD :D

jim mckee
10-04-2007, 6:57 AM
Remove pavers- use them as a patio area outside or door landings outside etc.

I'd like wood floor over 4" space to allow for dust collection conduit/wires.
Maybe 4" crete then 3.5" treated then ply. Ply would have to be dbl 3/4" thick (t/g would be nice) , joists close togather (12"?).

jim

Maurice Ungaro
10-04-2007, 7:39 AM
Don't do anything with the floor. Instead, use the two bay "garage" as your shop, and use the addition as your garage. Problem solved, expense = $0. :D

Jeffrey Makiel
10-04-2007, 7:50 AM
That's a beautiful home!
-Jeff :)

Mike Emde
11-30-2007, 4:09 AM
Update:....

Well took the advise of the experts plus just couldnt hold back that german heritage. If it cant be done right dont bother doing it at all and build it to last.

So I have gutted shop removed all pavers (thousands of them) stacked nicely out on back deck for next project. I removed back wall of shop which was just plywood against rock wall. I will also be removing doors at either end of shop.

This will all allow me to build my SHOP :D, concrete floor, insulated walls as my country here Vernon, BC Canada gets to minus 4F or -20C. I will then install a door at either end.

Couple pics for an update and will keep everyone aprised of progress.

Mike