PDA

View Full Version : Need more practice, but...

John Miliunas
02-03-2004, 9:11 PM
Between setting up a shop, setting up new equipment and restoring old equipment, the purpose of the shop seems to have gotten lost in the mix! I walk past the lathe 20 times a day and this evening, I finally decided that it was looking a bit lonely. I dug out an small Walnut blank I had laying around and figured I'd try to make something round. Been a long time and it's quite obvious I'm out of practice BUT, it was FUN! It's only about 6" across and about 2-3/4" deep. Finish is simply some Myland's Friction Polish. I thought I'd mess around a bit with a little different profile on the outside of the dish. In the process, found a "little problem", which turned out to go all the way through the blank. A LOT of CA helped hold it together long enough to keep it from blowing up on me. Thanks for taking a peek and I'm not at all opposed to brutal critiques. (I'm used to them!) :cool:

Chris Padilla
02-03-2004, 9:27 PM
Hmmm, didn't know you were a twirler!! :mad: ...and to think how much I've confided in you...FAKER!! :p

Bowl looks good...just learn to celebrate those features Mother Nature gives us! ;)

Dave Avery
02-03-2004, 9:43 PM
John,

Just when I thought that the entire purpose of your endeavors was the COLLECTION of tools, you go and MAKE something with them :)

I'm not a spinny kind of guy, but I really like the bowl. Dave.

John Miliunas
02-03-2004, 9:44 PM
Hmmm, didn't know you were a twirler!! :mad: ...and to think how much I've confided in you...FAKER!! :p

Aw, come on. Gimme' a break, woudchya'! I *still* KNOW the World is flat! :D Just need to deviate every now and again. :cool:

Jim Becker
02-03-2004, 9:46 PM
Just when I thought that the entire purpose of your endeavors was the COLLECTION of tools, you go and MAKE something with them

Happens to the best of us...if we get lucky!

John, very nice bowl. Nice color and interesting design. It's good to try things out since the only way to learn is to practice. That's particularly true with turning...the more you spin, the more comfortable you get. Now, don't let that lathe get lonely again too soon!

Mark Singer
02-04-2004, 1:19 AM
John,
I think its great! Keep it up!

Terry Hatfield
02-04-2004, 8:26 AM
John,

Very nice!!!! I like it!! The profile on the outside is really cool.

NOW....go make something flat. :D

t

Tyler Howell
02-04-2004, 8:44 AM
Nice John

Great for Cheese dip, chips, or just looking at:D.

Jason Tuinstra
02-04-2004, 10:38 AM
John, it looks great to me. I haven't done a lot of turning, but what I have done has been very rewarding. Again, great job!

Stan Smith
02-04-2004, 10:59 AM
Pretty nice, John, but you know what that lathe can do with it's magnetism.

Stan

Wolf Kiessling
02-04-2004, 1:44 PM
[
A neat bowl, John. The design is not exactly my cup of tea, however, it is great for practice, experimentation and, most of all, fun. I used to do those kinds of designs all the time while experimenting with different tools and shapes of bowls.

You need to snuggle up to that lathe more often.

Wolf

John Miliunas
02-04-2004, 1:59 PM
[
A neat bowl, John. The design is not exactly my cup of tea, however, it is great for practice, experimentation and, most of all, fun. I used to do those kinds of designs all the time while experimenting with different tools and shapes of bowls.

You need to snuggle up to that lathe more often.

Wolf

Wolf, I'll need to take it (lathe) out to dinner and movie and probably one of them fancy resorts for a weekend or three, before I get to the caliber of *your* work! But yeah, it IS fun! :cool:

Jim Kountz
02-04-2004, 6:43 PM
Great job John! I wish I has a lathe.....I wish I hada lathe........I wish I had a lathe........

Jim