PDA

View Full Version : Curly African Sumac Bowl

Mike Vickery
10-02-2007, 1:56 AM
This is a little piece of Curly African Sumac I just buffed out.

7 1/2 x 3 1/2 with wall thickness a little under 1/4 inch.

Finish is Minwax Antique Oil Buffed with a three whels

I actually like this piece a lot but not a great picture. The only thing that really bugs me is the size of the burn lines in uneven.

Comments and critiques are always appreciated.

Raymond Overman
10-02-2007, 8:10 AM
Mike, I think this is a wonderful bowl. I can't see a problem with the burn lines and I like the dovetail style of the foot in contrast to the rise of the bowl in spite of my usual prejudice towards no foot at all. The piece looks like it has good proportion and the wood selection is very nice as well. Good job.

Glenn Hodges
10-02-2007, 8:25 AM
Good form exhibited here along with a beautiful wood. The finish is so nice in fact I would not tell anyone about the unbalanced burned lines and I bet they would not know it...I didn't.

TYLER WOOD
10-02-2007, 9:26 AM
Superb piece, I love the form on this. Great work!!!!

Tom Sherman
10-02-2007, 9:33 AM
Mike that is some great wood, and excellent work.

Kevin McPeek
10-02-2007, 9:37 AM
Another very nice piece. Form is great.
Looks like this one has some color variation also, how long did it tan? I just did one that had lots of colors and am a little unsure about sunning it.

Steve Schlumpf
10-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Very nice bowl Mike! Beautiful wood! Didn't notice a thing with the burn lines - look fine to me. Really like the slight downward slant to the rim and the flair to the foot. Great looking form and finish! You're doing some really nice work!

Mike Vickery
10-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Another very nice piece. Form is great.
Looks like this one has some color variation also, how long did it tan? I just did one that had lots of colors and am a little unsure about sunning it.
I sun them for 2 days. One day with the rim facing down to get the entire outside really good, and one day standing up to get the inside.

I just put them out on the pool deck so one side will get sun in the morning and the other will get it in the afternoon.

I sun all my African Sumac's, but if you like it the way it is by all means dont sun it. You might want to finish it with something with UV inhibitors though if you are planning on keeping it looking that color.

Kevin McPeek
10-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Well the pink needs to be darkened but it has a lot of yellows in it, which I hope don't change too much. I'll have to look at it today, it was dark out when I did it last night so the lighting was not all that it could be.

Bernie Weishapl
10-02-2007, 5:40 PM
Mike that is a beauty. I almost bought some of that wood and think I will now after seeing this one. Well done.

Curt Fuller
10-02-2007, 10:00 PM
Another beauty Mike. I sure like that style of bowl.

Roger Bell
10-02-2007, 10:09 PM
I have made about a dozen similar bowls in the last couple months...but all footless and flat bottomed and with the dual lines. But something was missing.........and I have just found the solution........ I like your foot a lot........so your photo goes into my reference book of new and better ideas. Thanks.

Pat Doble
10-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Great elegant shape. That pair of burn lines really make the bowl. Very nice work.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Beautiful bowl ...with the right amount of embellishment to allow the beauty of the wood to be the star of the show. Like Raymond, I don't normally like feet on bowls but this one definitely works with this form. Very well done Mike!

Mike Vickery
10-03-2007, 1:32 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words.
I was an anti foot person for a long time and hardly ever used them, but I have converted and currently use them on over 1/2 of my bowls.

Unfortunatley it is just one more thing that you have an opportunity to screw up, but when they work out I think they really add to the piece.

Ed Scolforo
10-03-2007, 2:05 PM
Mike I agree with what others have said. The bowl is elegant looking and you should be pleased.