PDA

View Full Version : Craigs list

Kent E. Matthew
10-01-2007, 11:40 PM
I have been kicking around getting a table saw for my home shop that I am building right now. I have asked a couple of dumb questions. Craigs list has come up a couple of times. How does this work? Is this another form of EBay? How many here have bought table saws or other machinery using this method?

Chuck Lenz
10-01-2007, 11:59 PM
I have been kicking around getting a table saw for my home shop that I am building right now. I have asked a couple of dumb questions. Craigs list has come up a couple of times. How does this work? Is this another form of EBay? How many here have bought table saws or other machinery using this method?
Cragslist is just a classified ads website. It's not a auction site like Ebay.

Jon Lanier
10-02-2007, 12:01 AM

Basically Craigs list is the Internet's version of Classified Ads. I've sold a few things and bought a couple of things. I would say this: Deal only locally or where you can see and pick up the item. Don't send any form of payment, could be a scam. Like all things be smart about it and you'll be just fine. I've got my 4" delta jointer, some 71/72 Wilson forged clubs and a recumbant bike up for sale on it. They've not moved yet, but I have sold all my hunting gear.

Dave MacArthur
10-02-2007, 12:13 AM
CraigsList is absolutely great BECAUSE you only deal locally! No ebay shipping, hoping, trusting. You find an ad, call the person, ask a few questions, then arrange to go view it WITH CASH in hand--cash only generally. You test it, like it, load it and drive home. Some bargaining can ensue, and you can almost always get it for less than the ad price. I bought my PM66 for $1000, my Delta 14" new bandsaw for $100... tons of great deals.
http://craigslist.org

or http://denver.craigslist.org for you

frank shic
10-02-2007, 12:19 AM
i bought a number of items recently including a porter cable pocket cutter, a fuji hvlp spray, an exaktor sliding table and a hinge boring press for almost a half or a third of the retail price! i just sold a bosch 4000 table saw tonight for a mere $360 after giving the buyer a thorough education in basic table saw safety. definitely only deal locally and ask them in the email response message if they'd be willing to accept the original price minus a couple extra dollars. BTW be prepared to drive an hour or two - it's usually worth it in most cases!

Kent Fitzgerald
10-02-2007, 4:20 AM
As everyone has said, it's an online classified. Because listings are free, it attracts spamming and scamming, but the flagging system seems to work reasonably well.

I'd stay clear of the personals. :eek:

Greg Crawford
10-02-2007, 7:16 AM
Most of these auctions are in the Eastern US, but you can get some great deals at irsauctions.com. It stand for Industrial Recovery Services, not infernal revenue suckers.

Wilbur Pan
10-02-2007, 7:22 AM
I was able to almost completely outfit my shop off of Craigslist. I found my bandsaw, drill press, and lathe there. Total cost: $700.

Even better, all of these are late-40's early 50's era machines, which are really well built -- much more heavily built than today's offerings.

Sean Kinn
10-02-2007, 7:36 AM
My Craigslist tip....Move Fast.

If you see something you are interested in email the selller immediately. I've been trying to get a 6"jointer for about two months now. I've tried to get several that were posted and they were all sold within the first few hours of being listed.

Randal Stevenson
10-02-2007, 8:26 AM
My Craigslist tip....Move Fast.

If you see something you are interested in email the selller immediately. I've been trying to get a 6"jointer for about two months now. I've tried to get several that were posted and they were all sold within the first few hours of being listed.

This ISN'T a joke at all. There has been a few things I've been interested in (planes lately), most of it has sold in 10 minutes or less.

With my schedule, I miss most of it.

David Werkheiser
10-02-2007, 8:51 AM
I've used Craig's list a few times and like the local aspect, but there are times I want to a whole state or a region such as "mid atlantic" search. Is there a way to do this?
David

Todd Jensen
10-02-2007, 8:59 AM
As far as I know, no. You'll find some regions are more 'target rich' than others, though, and generally not worth wasting your time on. For me, the Seattle-Tacoma listings are most active and have the most products, by far, and its not worth it(generally) to browse the smaller city's lists.

Also, as others have said, move fast. Check frequently and be prepared to jump on an item of interest. In your reply email, I've also found it helpful to state where you are located, when you can come look or buy, and list your contact info. One liners like "i want it" are generally dismissed because there are also a lot of 'flakes' on craigslist, browsers that aren't that serious.

Randal Stevenson
10-02-2007, 9:10 AM
I've used Craig's list a few times and like the local aspect, but there are times I want to a whole state or a region such as "mid atlantic" search. Is there a way to do this?
David

http:// (NO WWW) crazedlist.org/

There have been times from what I have read that Craigslist seems to block this. Allthough with the refer change, this works (you will see a readme on top if not working).

Tom Henry
10-02-2007, 9:20 AM
http:// (NO WWW) crazedlist.org/

There have been times from what I have read that Craigslist seems to block this. Allthough with the refer change, this works (you will see a readme on top if not working).

That is a great link! Thanks for the heads up!:eek:

Eric Mims
10-02-2007, 11:27 AM
I got a brand new, never opened Starrett fractional caliper for 20 bucks off Craigslist. Guy had won it at his work and didn't need it. On the phone he basically told me several other people had responded within the first hour and whoever got to his house first with 20 bucks got it.

Bob Aquino
10-02-2007, 11:48 AM
David

You can used crazedlist or you can try this trick if you use firefox or some other browser that has tabs.

Create a bookmark of a search of you local or near local cities for whatever you want. You can search all of for sale or down to tools and "sander" for instance. Save these bookmarks in one folder. When you want to search for that item, open the folder in tabs. Thats all there is too it.:cool:

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-02-2007, 1:17 PM
I got a Leigh D4 from a guy in California.
Other than that I've not used CraigsList

Michael Weber
10-02-2007, 1:23 PM
The crazedlist thing might not work properly unless you have the firefox browser.

Craig D Peltier
04-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Most of these auctions are in the Eastern US, but you can get some great deals at irsauctions.com. It stand for Industrial Recovery Services, not infernal revenue suckers.

Hi Greg, I have been on this site for 5 minutes. I have read FAQ trying to figure out if they ship? If not I have tried the search key Washington and that wont work. How do you find out if theres shipping or any auctions in your area. Do you have to look through there giant calendar?

Eric Larsen
04-13-2008, 12:29 PM
I've bought a PM66, PM60, planer, tile saw, HVLP sprayer, and pool table from Craigslist. No real problems (the PM66 had some annoyances, but it's running great today). Big savings. Real big. I've saved 60-80% compared to buying new on all these items.

This is the first place we turn when we need a durable good. But to echo everyone else, "be quick on the draw" when something good comes up.

It's also imperative to know your market -- What does said item go for new? What is the price history of said item in past Craigslist sales? What could be wrong with said item and how much will it cost to fix said problem?

Carl Fox
04-13-2008, 12:34 PM
I just got my 'new' 8" Grizzly jointer off craiglist yesterday. Now I gotta find a planer.

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6258/imgp0718cz9.th.jpg (http://img85.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp0718cz9.jpg)

Fred Voorhees
04-13-2008, 2:00 PM
I sold my Delta contractor table saw in one or two days over CraigsList. Have sold a handful of other things also. No problems if you use care. I had someone try to scam me for about $2,000, but those are easy to spot.

skip coyne
04-13-2008, 2:03 PM
Ive gotten some good deals of craigs list also

another thing to consider is a search on ebay for items within a certain radius you enter your zip code and it gives you the option as to the distance you want to look

on a heavy item like this I generally run a search for up to 75 miles then you then have the opportunity to contact the seller and possibly inspect the item before bidding and pick up to avoid shipping charges

some sellers wont allow inspection or local pickup in which case I look elsewhere

Bill Conte
04-13-2008, 3:20 PM
I agree with those who said you need to MOVE FAST with Craigslist. If you are looking for something like a vintage Unisaw, those go within an hour or two of posting most of the time. It took me several tries before I got my Unisaw. I had to drive a couple of hours each way for it but it was worth it.

I used www.craigshelper.com Very easy to use. Try to have patience in your tool pursuit. Check the list frequently every day, especially if you are seeking a high demand item (such as the aforementioned Unisaw).

Good Luck!! :)

Eric Larsen
04-13-2008, 3:31 PM
I agree with those who said you need to MOVE FAST with Craigslist. If you are looking for something like a vintage Unisaw, those go within an hour or two of posting most of the time. It took me several tries before I got my Unisaw. I had to drive a couple of hours each way for it but it was worth it.

I used www.craigshelper.com (http://www.craigshelper.com) Very easy to use. Try to have patience in your tool pursuit. Check the list frequently every day, especially if you are seeking a high demand item (such as the aforementioned Unisaw).

Good Luck!! :)

There's one for $600 in my area with a new motor, fence and shop-built outfeed table. It won't last, naturally.

Lewis Cobb
04-13-2008, 3:48 PM
Echoing what all others have said about Craigslist but there's another one that you might want to keep an eye on as well - "kijiji.com" - it's not as popular as Craigslist but it operates the same way. In the last week or so I have made an extra 380 bucks by selling stuff that was collecting dust in my house that I have not used in years. I was also able to spend it again on a nice new Jet osciallating spindle sander before my wife realized it :D

These classified ad sites rule but locally is the best way to use them.

Cheers,
Lewis

Jeff Hallam
04-13-2008, 4:00 PM
That irsauctions website is fantastic! I saw plenty of equipment that would be a great catch, HOWEVER I am in Canada and have to watch these auctions with despair.

Does anyone know of a similar company that deals with industrial shop auctions in Canada?

Also, there is very little on craigslist for many parts of Canada, but I have found Kijiji to be more popular here.

Lewis Cobb
04-13-2008, 4:04 PM
That irsauctions website is fantastic! I saw plenty of equipment that would be a great catch, HOWEVER I am in Canada and have to watch these auctions with despair.

Does anyone know of a similar company that deals with industrial shop auctions in Canada?

Also, there is very little on craigslist for many parts of Canada, but I have found Kijiji to be more popular here.

Hey Jeff ! - greetings from NB. I had a couple of places on a list somewhere for Canada but can't find it at the moment. If I do, I'll flick it off to you. However, they were not great. There's just not that much action up here compared to the US so things like this are very thin. There are deals - just 10x less

Cheers,
Lewis

Ellen Benkin
04-13-2008, 4:50 PM
Craigslist is great for buying and selling because it is local and because they will hide your identity as a seller. It's up to you to read the responses and decide if you want to deal with each person. I've also been approached with the "Nigerian scam" (I must have that item and I'll send you a check for more than you are asking . . .), but it is easy to ignore that kind of thing. As a buyer, you go and look and decide if you want it. Much better than ebay.

Karl Brogger
04-13-2008, 5:45 PM
Craigslist is awesome. I've sold a boat, some motorcycle parts, and a couple other things using that site. I've also bought a handful of things from those listings.

Craigslist is great! Where else can you find a used car, an old couch, a prostitute, and an ice auger all in one sitting?

Lewis Cobb
04-13-2008, 5:47 PM
Craigslist is awesome. I've sold a boat, some motorcycle parts, and a couple other things using that site. I've also bought a handful of things from those listings.

Craigslist is great! Where else can you find a used car, an old couch, a prostitute, and an ice auger all in one sitting?

:eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

Fred Voorhees
04-13-2008, 7:24 PM

Yup, and don't forget that you can also locate a nearby massage parlor if that is your sort of thing......and no.......I haven't.:rolleyes:

Mark Engel
04-13-2008, 7:43 PM
Yup, and don't forget that you can also locate a nearby massage parlor if that is your sort of thing......and no.......I haven't.:rolleyes:

And yet, you appear to be the first to bring it up. (No pun intended) :D

Dave Bureau
04-13-2008, 8:00 PM
I also have bought and sold alot of stuff on CL But like everyone says move fast. I put my John deere tractor on there today at about 9 o'clock. had 6 replys by 10.00 and sold it for 20K cash by 11.00. not bad for free classifieds.
Dave

Craig D Peltier
04-13-2008, 8:57 PM
I use it all the time.Every day for buying and selling. I hope if thye ever do charge that another pops up in its place quick. It would only make sense. Maybe that juju one or whatever it spells.
Today I bought 4 jorgensen cabinetmaker clamps for $100. 2-24s and 2-36s. All like new. Saved about 50 bucks I guess.
Ive bought my drum sander, table saw, lathe, bandsaw, scroll saw and mortiser all of of CL.

Louie George
04-13-2008, 9:17 PM
I use both Ebay and Craigslist and find that items tend to be cheaper (less expensive) on craigslist than on ebay because on craigslist the seller sets the price while ebay relies on the price that the market can bear, which is often influenced by a competative marketplace. I also find that the best deals on Craigslist tend to go very quickly, so timing is very much an issue with Craigslist.

That said, I tend to buy items from Craigslist, where prices are lower and sell on ebay, where prices are a bit higher.

Bruce Benjamin
04-13-2008, 9:49 PM

I"m hoping you're not using all 4 of those items all in one sitting.:eek:

Bruce