PDA

View Full Version : A very special 84th birthday gift.

Dave Shively
10-01-2007, 9:36 PM
It seem all I make lately are these large lasered plaques. Well not really but I do make quite a few of them. Anyway I made this one for a friend of mine for his 84th birthday who happens to be a Medal of Honor recipient. He received the medal for his heroic efforts on Iwo Jima 62 years ago (not won it like most people say, he earned it) and is highly sought after for his talks which
he makes across the country 60 to 70 times a year. The plaque tells a story with the three pictures. The bottom of the plaque is a quote from Hershel “Woody” Williams’s speech that he has made hundreds of times. nfortunately you probably can’t read it in the picture so I’ll include it here in the post. The top is made from alder which lasers pictures well. The bottom is walnut and is bordered by paduak. The dimensions are 29" x 41" and weighs 32 pounds. This is a surprise party/anniversary (64th wedding) this Oct 5th and it is appears to be a big event because the people putting it together have ask the national news media to be there. I’m on at 7:20 to present the plaque and give a short speech. I’ll probably flub it up. Hope you like it.

Dave

“On October 5th 1945, standing before the president of this United States, scared half to death, shaking like a leaf in a hurricane I became a role model. Did I want to be a role model, no! I’m a country boy, bashful and shy. But the moment President Harry S. Truman placed this ribbon and this medal around my neck, I became a role model! I represented more than myself. I represented thousands of Marines who never got to come home, to mow the lawn, and raise a family. I especially represented two Marines who on February 23rd 1945 gave their lives protecting mine. So when I wear this medal, I do not wear it for what I did, I wear it in honor of those two Marines that day, who gave their lives saving mine. I am just the caretaker of this medal, it really belongs to them.”

- HERSHEL “WOODY” WILLIAMS
USMC (RET)

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL484/8647643/16030738/281197945.jpg

Bob Marino
10-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Dave,

Very nice plaque and a truly touching story. He is a role model!

Bob

Paul Hendrickson
10-01-2007, 10:37 PM
I get paid to talk for a living and yet I am speechless.

Michael Weber
10-01-2007, 11:27 PM
WILLIAMS, HERSHEL WOODROW
Rank and organization: Corporal, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, 21st Marines, 3d Marine Division. Place and date: Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands, 23 February 1945. Entered service at: West Virginia. Born: 2 October 1923, Quiet Dell, W. Va. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as demolition sergeant serving with the 21st Marines, 3d Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands, 23 February 1945. Quick to volunteer his services when our tanks were maneuvering vainly to open a lane for the infantry through the network of reinforced concrete pillboxes, buried mines, and black volcanic sands, Cpl. Williams daringly went forward alone to attempt the reduction of devastating machinegun fire from the unyielding positions. Covered only by 4 riflemen, he fought desperately for 4 hours under terrific enemy small-arms fire and repeatedly returned to his own lines to prepare demolition charges and obtain serviced flamethrowers, struggling back, frequently to the rear of hostile emplacements, to wipe out 1 position after another. On 1 occasion, he daringly mounted a pillbox to insert the nozzle of his flamethrower through the air vent, killing the occupants and silencing the gun; on another he grimly charged enemy riflemen who attempted to stop him with bayonets and destroyed them with a burst of flame from his weapon. His unyielding determination and extraordinary heroism in the face of ruthless enemy resistance were directly instrumental in neutralizing one of the most fanatically defended Japanese strong points encountered by his regiment and aided vitally in enabling his company to reach its objective. Cpl. Williams' aggressive fighting spirit and valiant devotion to duty throughout this fiercely contested action sustain and enhance the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

Michael Weber
10-01-2007, 11:28 PM
previous post was from http://www.army.mil/cmh/html/moh/wwII-t-z.html
I had nothing else to add and certainly no suitable smilies to chose from

joe greiner
10-02-2007, 8:56 AM
Dave and Woody, I salute you both. More to Woody, of course, but well done Dave.

Joe

John Shuk
10-02-2007, 4:45 PM
There aren't words good enough for men like this.

Andy Livingston
10-02-2007, 7:53 PM
Wow... Great thread.

Paul Douglass
10-02-2007, 8:58 PM
Semper Fi! I stand at attention and salute him. Thanks for posting this

John Stevens
10-02-2007, 9:11 PM
Wonderful thread. We owe these men and their families a debt that can never be fully repaid.

Regards,

John

Mark Valsi
10-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Wow !!! Indeed !!

Jude Kingery
10-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Dave, very nicely done. My utmost to Woody and Michael. My Dad served in the Marines throughout the Pacific push, from New Zealand then on into Guadacanal, Guam. Battle injury brought him home - safely - I might add overall. My salutes to you gentlemen! My Dad was a really good guy and he said well, that's all any of us guys did, did what we had to do. Loved him dearly, man of integrity. So I have a very special place in my heart for those who have served and do serve in our armed forces. Jude

Roy Wall
10-02-2007, 10:31 PM
Dave -

Thank you so much for your ongoing efforts for our Veterans. Press on my friend - it is an awesome tribute and your work is a perfect match!

Woody - I hold men like you in my deepest respect and appreciation - including all our Veteran forces....