PDA

View Full Version : Question for Festool drill fans

Wilbur Pan
10-01-2007, 8:53 PM
Looking over the options for Festool drills, would you pick the C12 or the TDK 12V model, and why? Just from looking over the info on the Festool website, it seems that the C12 would be the better pick between the two because of the weight. The TDK 12V offers a bit more torque, but I would think that if you wanted a Festool drill with more torque, the TDK 15.6V model would be the choice to make.

Which begs the question: why would Festool offer both the C12 and the TDK 12V models simultaneously?

Gary Keedwell
10-01-2007, 9:30 PM
One of those drills is kinda weird . When you go to squeeze the trigger , it is not conventional. The trigger is low so you squeeze with your middle finger... I think someone will chime in here and explain it better then me;)
It just felt a little different....I would try it at a store first.
Gary

Steven J Corpstein
10-01-2007, 9:57 PM
I really, really like it. I struggled for about an hour with the finger placement thing, then it felt more natural, now I grab my Dewault and want to run it the same way. I really like it for various reasons, for one the way it handles and then there's the 3 different heads so I only need to use one drill.

Bob Marino
10-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Wilbur,

For quite some time, Festool has had both the traditional "T" as well as the "C" handle drills. The TDK's are on closeout and wil have some type of updates - maybe brushless motors, like the C12 and/or Lithium Ion batteries.

Bob

Dan Clark
10-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Looking over the options for Festool drills, would you pick the C12 or the TDK 12V model, and why? Just from looking over the info on the Festool website, it seems that the C12 would be the better pick between the two because of the weight. The TDK 12V offers a bit more torque, but I would think that if you wanted a Festool drill with more torque, the TDK 15.6V model would be the choice to make.

Which begs the question: why would Festool offer both the C12 and the TDK 12V models simultaneously?

I have the C12 with all of the chucks. I think it's a great drill. If you get one, get the chuck kit. The right-angle chuck and eccentric chuck allow you to get into spots that would difficult or impossible otherwise.

To the questions...

The TDK 12V is the older model. I looked at the TDK and chose the C12 as being the better option. I suspect that they continue to offer for the simple reason that some people and companies still want them. In Europe, Festool sells these drills to large companies for production work. When companies buy things like, they have to be concerned about spare parts, battery chargers, accessories, etc. They can't just throw away their current inventory to buy the newest and latest.

Regarding the C12's odd handle, I questioned that at first. I used it like a regular drill hitting the trigger with my index finger. It turns out when you hit the trigger with your middle finger, it forces your hand higher and puts your arm inline with the bit. So you can put all of your weight behind it without twisting your hand.

The C12 has lots of nice little features like that. Another example is the battery. Removing the battery from my Dewalt 18V XRP drill is a struggle. As it got older, it got more difficult. With the C12, it just slides off. After about 4-5000 screws, it still slides off easily.

Most Festoolians won't agree with me, but I believe the C12 is one of their best tools.

Regards,

Dan.

Steven Wilson
10-02-2007, 1:25 AM
I purchased my TD a few years ago and did look at the C12 prior to purchase (at a large magazine tool test). Anyhow, the Festool C12 and my right hand do not get along - painful for me for almost everything but installing drawer slides. The TD on the other had is a joy to use. I have the standard chuck, offset, and right angle (Centroic wasn't out at the time) and use them all frequently - what a fantastic drill. I was able to retire two 14.4v Dewalts with the TD and get a lighter drill that works better and has more torque (as well as a decent low clutch setting for working with brass screws).

Before buying, work with both drills and make sure that the ergonomics works for you.

Chris Parks
10-02-2007, 4:07 AM
C12 all the way. Brushless motors are the go for power, infinite control, less weight. I drilled steel with mine the other day, fairly hefty angle iron and it didn't even slow down. No other 12 volt drill will match it for power, even another Festool. If you just want a driver and not a drill Panasonic do a brushless driver and no one can complain about their quality.

Wilbur Pan
10-02-2007, 7:18 AM
Wilbur,

For quite some time, Festool has had both the traditional "T" as well as the "C" handle drills. The TDK's are on closeout and wil have some type of updates - maybe brushless motors, like the C12 and/or Lithium Ion batteries.

Bob

Are there plans for lithium ion batteries for the C12?

Dave Novak
10-02-2007, 10:25 AM
What's the difference between the C12 2.4 Ah and C12 1.3 Ah? The 2.4 is a tad heavier, but has identical torque ratings.

Dave Falkenstein
10-02-2007, 10:29 AM
What's the difference between the C12 2.4 Ah and C12 1.3 Ah? The 2.4 is a tad heavier, but has identical torque ratings.

The batteries last longer between charges.

Bob Marino
10-02-2007, 1:29 PM
Are there plans for lithium ion batteries for the C12?
Wilbur,

I am pretty sure at some point Festool will offer Lithium Ion batteries for the C12, just don't know when.

Bob