PDA

View Full Version : Another thickness sander idea...

Dave Sharpe
10-01-2007, 8:31 PM
So I was sitting in my shop today contemplating the practicality of building my own thickness sander based on the plans in ShopNotes 15:85 (sounds like a scriptural reference doesn't it) From a previous post I've reviewed this website http://www.woodworkstuff.net/EDTSander.html which has some improvements that I like, mostly the ability to surface a wider panel (ie: cabinet doors).
As I sat there looking around the shop and considering where such a monster would live once I'd built it, an idea came to mind - what about building it to fit my lathe bed, and using the lathe motor to drive the sanding drum?

This has the advantage that I'd then have a variable speed drive motor to work with, and I don't use my lathe all that often anyway, so the sander could just stay installed until I need the lathe itself. In addition, I wouldn't need to change out the saw blade for a pulley, and the sander wouldn't tie up my tablesaw as the original plans call for.

The biggest drawback that I see is that it may be difficult to get a stable enough surface support on the narrow lathebed. Perhaps a hinged support leg on each end would help with this, though.

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone else tried this?

Dave Sharpe
Whidbey Island WA.

Dave Lehnert
10-01-2007, 11:37 PM
I always thought about doing the same thing on my Shopsmith. Make a drum to spin between centers. Then use the saw table with the rack and pinion height adjustment. Very doable but never played with the idea in the shop. Only in my head.