PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt DW735 question before I buy one.

Jeff Craven
10-01-2007, 7:09 PM
Should I get the folding table extensions? Are they necessary or just helpful? Are they only helpful when cutting larger pieces of wood?

I've never owned a planer and don't have much experience using one.

Fred Voorhees
10-01-2007, 7:30 PM
Jeff you definitely need the extension tables. Do not even think of buying it without them. There is almost zero infeed and outfeed capability without them. That being said, I did buy mine without them, but only because I built mine into my workbench and it allowed me to have upwards of about twenty feet of infeed capability and about the same of outfeed. If you plan on having the machine stand alone, you really have no choice but to purchase the extensions. You will see what I mean when and if you buy the planer.

Gary Herrmann
10-01-2007, 8:18 PM
Huge difference. Buy the extension tables. Much less snipe.

Gary Keedwell
10-01-2007, 9:35 PM
I never understood that. Why didn't they just charge a few bucks more and make extensions standard equipment? Kinda makes you wonder. I know of guys that didn't buy it for shear principle.
Gary

Jeff Craven
10-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I just ordered it with the extensions. I'll be sure to pick up some ear protection too. :cool:

Greg Pavlov
10-02-2007, 4:00 AM
I never understood that. Why didn't they just charge a few bucks more and make extensions standard equipment? Kinda makes you wonder. I know of guys that didn't buy it for shear principle.
Gary

That's a heck of a pun.:p

Tim Marks
10-02-2007, 7:41 AM
I followed a similar route... bought the DW735, found it a PIA without the extentions, and bought them. Without the tables, you have to be very careful of the angle you feed wood into the machine... chances are when the roller grabs the end and feeds it into the blade you will get a nice little groove if you got it wrong. NO such problems with the extensions. It is very strange that DW did not include them with the planer (unlike every other planer on the market).

Of course, DW735+extensons+stand=$650. Hmm, that is getting close to the price of a stationary planer (wish I had gone that route).

Don Bullock
10-02-2007, 7:54 AM
I'm sorry if my post is too late for the OP, but Amazon has the extensions at $44.06 with free shipping.

Jeff Craven
10-02-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm sorry if my post is too late for the OP, but Amazon has the extensions at $44.06 with free shipping.That's where I ordered from. ;) They also have a 20% off accessories promotion, so they cost $35.25 when I ordered them with the planer.

Don Bullock
10-02-2007, 8:29 PM
Good. When I bought mine last month they were $39, but I didn't order the planer from Amazon.